Marlin-Ballard .22? What exactly is this?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    Years ago, my father came across this rifle he referred to as a Scheutzen (sp?) rifle. Not as many years ago, I ended up with it and stored it away. It is chambered in .22LR with an incredibly heavy barrel made by Stevens and a falling block receiver made by Marlin. It also has a Lyman Polaroid sight.

Could this be a Marlin-Ballard? What is this?

Attachments

• IMG_5783.jpeg
      IMG_5783.jpeg
      478.8 KB · Views: 238
    • IMG_5781.jpeg
      IMG_5781.jpeg
      267.5 KB · Views: 214
    • IMG_5780.jpeg
      IMG_5780.jpeg
      267.1 KB · Views: 210
    • IMG_5779.jpeg
      IMG_5779.jpeg
      532.7 KB · Views: 231

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    From the little bit I know about these rifles, it’s a Ballard action made by Marlin. It was pretty common for STEVENS to make barrels or re-chamber barrels for the rifles years ago.

That is a very beautiful rifle, and I bet it shoots wonderful as well.

Idaho

Dec 10, 2015
    Towson, MD
    Post on ASSRA forum and you will get your answer.
    Do not sell that rifle. You should take it to the next Columbia Scheutzen match at Thurmont. PM me if interested in that endeavor.

jr355

Apr 21, 2014
    Fullerton md
    Late 1800's early 1900's target rifle. The ball is the hand rest for offhand shooting. Cross index Pope target rifle. Some had a removable false muzzle which was tapered to gently engrave the bullet before it was rammed home. This applied to larger calibers usually.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Can't help with any details but it's a gorgeous rifle. With the different make barrel and receiver I would think a custom rifle which was common with these type rifles.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    It looks like a Stevens / Ideal 44 1/2 action off the top of my head.
    Because theirs double set triggers, that’s a qualifier for a particular action mechanism.
    I could look at some text from one of my DeHass books to be sure.
    The bracket for the palm rest looks like it was added at another time.
    I’m not sure if was made at the same time the rifle was built up ,or after being refinished at some other time.
    Up close photos of the extractor and FP arrangement would be interesting to see.
    Theirs a couple of distinct methods for accomplishing that sort of thing and conversion characteristics from the original chambering if there was one.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    It looks like a Stevens / Ideal 44 1/2 action off the top of my head.
    Because theirs double set triggers, that’s a qualifier for a particular action mechanism.
    I could look at some text from one of my DeHass books to be sure.
    The bracket for the palm rest looks like it was added at another time.
    I’m not sure if was made at the same time the rifle was built up ,or after being refinished at some other time.
    Up close photos of the extractor and FP arrangement would be interesting to see.
    Theirs a couple of distinct methods for accomplishing that sort of thing and conversion characteristics from the original chambering if there was one.
    Thanks for the info!!

I’m sure the palm rest and the Lyman Polaroid sight were “later” additions. The rifle is drilled/tapped for a tang sight, which seems to be the norm based on my research.

I did take an image of the extractor - not super clear but it looks like one, that’s for sure…

I did take a couple of other images - the workmanship that went into this rifle is simply not available in a commercial firearm today. I never paid attention to the engine turning on the trigger “housing”, or the many screws for the set and fire triggers.

Attachments

• IMG_5969.jpeg
      IMG_5969.jpeg
      201.1 KB · Views: 56
    • IMG_5970.jpeg
      IMG_5970.jpeg
      238.7 KB · Views: 58
    • IMG_5971.jpeg
      IMG_5971.jpeg
      171.2 KB · Views: 53

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I had a brain fade , but finally came thru .

CPA Rifles of Dingmans Ferry , PA makes a 44 1/2 action out of modern steel available as just action , or custom rifle to your specifications.

Just the actions start at $1,550 . Yes , it's expensive . But if you paid gunsmith shop rates to rebuild and blueprint an original action, it would add up quickly , and still have 1903- 25 steel .

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Scheutzen Rifle - A single-shot rifle of German conception for off-hand target shooting. Typically heavy, with long (often fluted octagonal) barrel, high comb with prominent sculptured cheekpiece, palm rest and extended-curve buttplate.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    What a wonderful rifle. Ballards are some of the more elegant single shots in terms of fine gentle lines. Great actions, I imagine that would shoot really well. I’d recommend doing some digging and getting info. If you’re curious I could maybe put you in contact with someone who in my opinion has one of the deepest pools of knowledge on Ballard history.

He could likely direct you to all kinds of details to narrow down your rifle, maybe even a builder given some marks…shoot me a PM and I can try to put you in contact with him. Older gentleman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Thanks for bringing this one back up.
    Earlier I had misidentified the rifle but have since looked into it a little further out of interest.
    It seems as if this one is the single shot rifles of single shot rifles.
    The design has a storied history and timeline between Ballard / Marlin in regards to improvements, licensing, construction, marketing,materials etc.
    It’s a keeper for sure noted as the most prevalent design for single shot accuracy and was chambered up to 38/55 which appears to be its limit for safety and strength.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom