• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Goateggs

Jan 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    I went to an Appleseed event last weekend with a Savage 64 that I had never shot before. I had a great time, and improved my shooting quite a bit, but all the instructors there agreed that the rifle didn't fit me very well and I would be much more comfortable and shoot better if I had a rifle that fit me better.

I am a pudgy middle aged female, 5 foot 3. I have short arms and a short neck. Out of the box, I couldn't get a good sight through the scope. We built up the buttstock with some rigid foam held on with vet wrap, and that worked OK, to the point where I could get the scope aligned and had a good cheek weld. But the buttstock is really too long. I had a very difficult time getting a good sight picture in sitting position; I just felt like I was fighting the gun instead of settling into a good stable posture.

Is there some way that rifles like this can be modified to fit? It's a synthetic stock. Or would I be better off just buying something else that would fit me better? And if so, what should I be looking at? Now that I've been through the Appleseed I feel much more confident about being able to go into a store and tell if a rifle feels right.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Tough call. A quality replacement stock will cost more than what the rifle is worth. Professional modification of the existing stock, if possible, could cost $50-$75 or more depending on what you need to do. Your rifle is inexpensive enough that you'll probably end up ahead by selling it and buying something else that fits. I recommend looking for and checking out two good options:
    (semi-auto) Ruger 10/22 Compact, http://ruger.com/products/1022Compact/models.html
    (bolt-action) CZ 452 Scout, http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-452-scout/

Wildcard option: (bolt-action) Savage Mark II GY, http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIGY/, http://www.basspro.com/Savage-Mark-II-GY-22-LR-Youth-Rifle/product/10218351/

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Not sure what your budget is but the gun you have will likely not be cost effective to modify in my opinion. It can be done. Cheek position is critical as well.

If theres a youth stock it will replicate being cut down. It wont correct any possible cheek weld issues. This requires a cheek rest to be installed or add some foam using Duct Tape like Snipers do on their weapons.

In my opinion the best .22 Semi is the S&W M&P15-22. Its SUPER light, SUPER easy to clean (No tools), very accurate, SUPER lightweight, very reliable, magazines are cheap, easy to mount optics, has an adjustable stock, better triggers drop in, uses AR15 buttstocks and pistol grips, has last round hold open.

Its an amazing gun that will never need a gunsmith BUT I have no idea if they are allowed for the type of shooting you are doing.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Forgot about the M&P15-22. I agree. They are allowed at Appleseed events AFAIK. Not inexpensive, though.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    + 2 on the CZ SCout but hard to find. You could always get a full size and have the stock cut dow, it's wood. You'll be amazed at how good they shoot. BTW finally took my M&P 15 22 out last weekend and it is super. Agree with Chad all the way. Not ammo finicky at all either. Not as cheap as a Savage but more versatile. Also, check with Dicks, they have some smaller .22s that may work for you but Savage and CZ will be the most accurate.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    In my opinion the best .22 Semi is the S&W M&P15-22. Its SUPER light, SUPER easy to clean (No tools), very accurate, SUPER lightweight, very reliable, magazines are cheap, easy to mount optics, has an adjustable stock, better triggers drop in, uses AR15 buttstocks and pistol grips, has last round hold open.

Its an amazing gun that will never need a gunsmith BUT I have no idea if they are allowed for the type of shooting you are doing.

They are allowed. I brought my 15-22 to an Appleseed event with my daughter and it worked great.

Listen to Clandestine. I did when he made a similar comment last year, and I'm very glad that I did. Everything he says about that gun is spot on.

In addition both I and my 14 year old daughter enjoy shooting the gun; it works for old fat guys like me and spry young petite girls like my kid. It fits us both very well.

You won't be sorry if you go that route.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    1) Get a youth rifle, that is already shorter. More guns is a good thing. :)

2) Get a youth stock if available.

3) Pay to have the rifle cut down.

4) Cut the rifle down yourself.

5) Get a 15-22. More guns is a good thing, and the 15-22 is GREAT fun.

Or do 1, 3 or 4, and 5. :)

The thing about cutting it down is whether the stock is hollow, foam filled, or solid.

Solid is easy, cut to length, refit the butt pad and go.

Foam filled would require digging out some foam and filling the end.

Hollow is the most difficult.

After all that, buy the 15-22. :)

vafish

Mar 13, 2012
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    I went to an Appleseed event last weekend with a Savage 64 that I had never shot before. I had a great time, and improved my shooting quite a bit, but all the instructors there agreed that the rifle didn't fit me very well and I would be much more comfortable and shoot better if I had a rifle that fit me better.

I am a pudgy middle aged female, 5 foot 3. I have short arms and a short neck. Out of the box, I couldn't get a good sight through the scope. We built up the buttstock with some rigid foam held on with vet wrap, and that worked OK, to the point where I could get the scope aligned and had a good cheek weld. But the buttstock is really too long. I had a very difficult time getting a good sight picture in sitting position; I just felt like I was fighting the gun instead of settling into a good stable posture.

Is there some way that rifles like this can be modified to fit? It's a synthetic stock. Or would I be better off just buying something else that would fit me better? And if so, what should I be looking at? Now that I've been through the Appleseed I feel much more confident about being able to go into a store and tell if a rifle feels right.

I coach junior shooters and have had many rifles modified for small female shooters.

Pretty simple matter to cut down a stock and a barrel to make them fit.

My 14 year old daughter is just over 5' tall. She shoots an Anschutz 54 rifle with about 4" taken out of the stock and the 26" barrel chopped down to 16" with a 8" aluminum bloop tube clamped on to bring the sight radius back up.

Here is a pic of her gun without the butplate on it.

Goateggs

Jan 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    Thanks everyone. This is some great advice. This is why I love this forum. (Well, that and the Studs with Guns thread.)

Goateggs

Jan 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    Question: does anyone make 10 round magazines for the 15/22 that are not pinned 25 round mags? Appleseed/CMP shooting involves a lot of prone position, and I think the length of the 25 round mags might be an issue.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Question: does anyone make 10 round magazines for the 15/22 that are not pinned 25 round mags? Appleseed/CMP shooting involves a lot of prone position, and I think the length of the 25 round mags might be an issue.

Yes. There are 2 versions. A Short 10 rounder (Barely extends past the Magazine Well, and the Extended capped 25 round mag limited to 10 rounds.

url

Goateggs

Jan 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    Chad -- what does your shop charge for transfer of a non-regulated long gun? Or alternatively, do you have any 15/22s in stock and what are you asking for them? I'd stop by the shop and ask in person, since I love a good chinwag with you guys and I could visit my AR lower (69 days and counting) but I'm tied up in conferences and teaching until Thursday, and then I'm going to Tennessee for a week.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Chad -- what does your shop charge for transfer of a non-regulated long gun? Or alternatively, do you have any 15/22s in stock and what are you asking for them? I'd stop by the shop and ask in person, since I love a good chinwag with you guys and I could visit my AR lower (69 days and counting) but I'm tied up in conferences and teaching until Thursday, and then I'm going to Tennessee for a week.

Ill do some checking and see. Im not sure off the top of my head though. If I swing by monday and see what we have will that work?

I think we have the standard model in stock which had removable fixed sights. The MOE version has magpul furnuture and flip up sights.

Goateggs

Jan 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    Ill do some checking and see. Im not sure off the top of my head though. If I swing by monday and see what we have will that work?

I think we have the standard model in stock which had removable fixed sights. The MOE version has magpul furnuture and flip up sights.

Sounds perfect. I'd be putting optics on it in any case -- my 55 year old eyes don't deal with iron sights AT ALL.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Sounds perfect. I'd be putting optics on it in any case -- my 55 year old eyes don't deal with iron sights AT ALL.

The sky is the limit for optics on the 15-22. Basic Model will save you some dough. It still has a railed handguard for adding accessories if you decide to do so.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY

You're right about that. My daughter shot our 15-22 at the Appleseed we attended and our pinned 25 round mag was a bit long when she was shooting prone. She had a tendency to rest the bottom of the mag on the ground for stability until someone noticed and suggested she stop. She was able to correct her position and keep going just fine after that, but the factory small format 10-rounder that Boom Boom pointed out would be a much better choice if you can find one in time. I plan to grab a couple myself before we sign up for Appleseed again next year. We enjoyed Appleseed so much I really think it is worth an annual visit. It was a great daddy/daughter/shooting/Patriot event and worth everything we invested in it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you find a source for the 10 round short mags, let me know. I would like to get one or two.

There is a set of 5 for sale on eBay for $180. :tdown:

A guy on GunBroker has 4 for sale at $40 each. Sorry to say, I am considering buying one. :sad20:

Every other place is out of stock.

On one site, I saw reference to someone trying to cut down a long mag to make a short mag. I did not look to see how and how well it worked.

Here one - http://ingunowners.com/forums/long_...rtening_m_and_p_15_22_mags_for_appleseed.html

Another - http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-...-d-i-y-short-5-medium-10-round-magazines.html

I have a plastic welder, which should work better than gluing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom