• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TWolf

Apr 1, 2008
    Frederick County
    Just curious for a little advice. I just got my license earlier this week and have sent it to some ot the vendors on that very long list that has been posted on the perks sticky at the top of the forum list.

So far I have taken care of:
    Aim
    Southern Ohio
    J&G Sales
    Century Arms

also, Midway, Brownells, and Grafs.

It's a long list and I'd like to prioritize if I can. Are there any others that I absolutely have to contact RIGHT NOW?

Thanks,

TWolf

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Maybe Classic Arms... I haven't ordered from them, but they have a good rep.

Samco is another, although I've heard mixed things about them.

My experience has been mostly with Aim and Century, and Aim has beaten Century every time on quality and speed of service. But, Century beats Aim on shipping costs, and frequently has great deals on ammo and C&R guns in quantities of 2 or 3.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Graf's C&R discount is AWESOME, by the way... I just ordered an EOTECH 511 for $306!!! (o.k., I did have to add 3% for using my credit card, but even so...) Free shipping, too! (plus $1 for insurance).

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    I've ordered from AIM, SOG, Midway, and J&G Sales.

All are very good to deal with. Midway discounts are AWESOME! I got Walter P99 mags for like $25! :party29:

TWolf

Apr 1, 2008
    Frederick County
    Looks like I have all the big ones covered. Most of them have been back in touch with instructions for setting up my accounts (which I've done).

Now I just have to buy something! I'm thinking that my first purchase is going to be a Mosin Hex. Probably from either Aim or SOG. Soon. Very soon.

Thanks guys.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Looks like I have all the big ones covered. Most of them have been back in touch with instructions for setting up my accounts (which I've done).

Now I just have to buy something! I'm thinking that my first purchase is going to be a Mosin Hex. Probably from either Aim or SOG. Soon. Very soon.

Thanks guys.

Eh, if you really want one.

Personally, I would get a cool ass CZ-82/vz-82, a Swiss K31, or a Romy Tokerav instead. You should probabally save a little more money and make multiple gun purchases to save on shipping.

You could get the K31 and the Mosin Hex shipped together to save a little. $8-$10 maybe?

Or you could get the Tokerav with a Nagant revolver to save about $10-$15. The Nagant revolvers and rifles are cheap enough that I always have one thrown in with my order. The CZ-52's are also cheaper and worth the money to be thrown in during a purchase.

Just my two pennies. Have fun! :party29:

TWolf

Apr 1, 2008
    Frederick County
    Boy Coinboy, now you've got me thinking. I may have to get that mad money account up a bit higher so I can throw something else in on the order. I must say, I do like the looks of those CZ-82s. Hmm.

Those Swiss K31s look pretty interesting. Can you tell me anything about them? Where's the best place to get one? How about ammo?

Thanks,
    TWolf

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Boy Coinboy, now you've got me thinking. I may have to get that mad money account up a bit higher so I can throw something else in on the order. I must say, I do like the looks of those CZ-82s. Hmm.

Those Swiss K31s look pretty interesting. Can you tell me anything about them? Where's the best place to get one? How about ammo?

Thanks,
    TWolf

I don't have a K31 but I hear they are excellent rifles and quite historic. I always wanted one but my funds have dried up. :lol2: I went on a C&R handgun shopping spree! :D The K31's are starting to dry up and I'm not sure where you can find one right now at an inexpensive price. This place has some at $400. http://www.simpsonltd.com/index.php?cPath=160_161_243&osCsid=a9a47463f199ac24f726ef4b24ab038f The ammo is more expensive. The thing about a K31 is that it's the most accurate surplus rifle you can buy. All of the surplus ammo is equal to match quality, probabally why it's so expensive. Also if you get lucky, many have removed the butt plate and found the original Swiss owner's name and address. Some have even went as far as contacting these people and learning more about history of their rifle.

If you can get a good looking CZ-82, I HIGHLY recommend them. White Marsh Arms had (has?) the ammo for cheaper than the 9x19mm Luger ammo. They are very accurate and in most cases they are only 10-20 years old which is unusual for a C&R gun. Ususally they have to be at least 50 years old. The polygonal rifling is also an interesting part of the pistol. It almost looks like a smooth bore pistol. Instead of the normal lands and groves it has hills and valleys and makes it more accurate. It's a snappy little pistol and a fun one to shoot. The holster is a unique design that holds the spare magazine lanyard and cleaning rod and is also designed for ambidextrious use. This is because of the ambidextrious features the pistol has.

The Tokerav is also a great little pistol. Kinda of like a 1911 but not. It shoots a very poverful round. It's basically a little less powerful than an AK-47 round out of a pistol! The CZ-52 also shoots the same round and that may want to be taken into consideration if you plan on buying both. I am quite suprised at the accuracy of my Tokerav. It actually shoots better than my Norinco 1911! It shoots about as good as my Walther P22 with a helluva a lot more kick! It's an 8 round magazine +1 in the chamber. It's a slim pistol and one I find quite comfortable. The ammo is also VERY inexpensive. You should be able to find a 1,224 round spam can for about $130!! I bought 4 cans! :party29: Magazines are still a bit inexpensive and last I looked I found them for $7 each. The pistol usually comes with a spare mag, holster, and a lanyard.

But if you want to get the Hex M91/30, more power to you. ;) I'm not trying to influence your purchase in any way. I think they are all fun guns and it's your money. I just want you to be educated in your purchases.

As you know the Hex M91/30 is more of a collectable because of the receiver. I guess this is because less were made. I'm not really sure though. Most of the time an oiler, some tools, a sling, and the bayonet will be supplied. Unfortunatly the bayonet is usually very hard if not impossible to remove/attach. This is because the Russians were required to always have the bayonet on their gun unless they were in transport. The Mosin Nagants usually have a bad case of sticky bolt and can be quite a pain to remove this problem. The problem is the cosmoline or laquer from the laquer coated ammo gets crammed in the chamber over the years and needs to be removed before the problem will be fixed. Removal of sticky bolt is for another post though. Some rifles display a worse case of sticky bolt than others but most need a rubber mallet to get the bolt open after firing 20 rounds or so continusouly. Something you may want to take into consideration with your purchase.

Good luck and enjoy your C&R!

TWolf

Apr 1, 2008
    Frederick County
    Coinboy, thanks for all the info. I definitely want to be educated before I lay down the cash. Tough choices. Ideally I'd have them all plus many others. Too many guns, so little cash.

There are a couple of places that have the K31s for around $200 listed as in stock on their websites. I can swing that right now. But for that price I can also go with the CZ-82. OR, the Hex and maybe a Nagant revolver thrown in.

I'm leaning towards a rifle first because my local club has a regular Mosin/Military rifle shoot. I went a few weeks ago and used a borrowed Mosin and now I'm hooked.

Thanks again,

TW

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    Graf's C&R discount is AWESOME, by the way... I just ordered an EOTECH 511 for $306!!! (o.k., I did have to add 3% for using my credit card, but even so...) Free shipping, too! (plus $1 for insurance).

Just emailed Grafs to set up an account and they said: Due to the current market conditions and the inability of manufacturers getting us product in a timely basis, we are not accepting any new dealer/distributor accounts at this time. We will review this policy on September 1st.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Send a copy of your C&R to Midway. They will give you DEALER pricing on everything in the book.

Do not do the same for Brownell's. You'll get screwed on shipping and you cannot use sales discounts or coupons. I learned the hard way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cddrive

Latest threads

Top Bottom