Mail from the ATF….A Good thing, or Bad?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Huh??? Does not matter what the upper is, it can go on a MG lower. I guess if you go above a 50 caliber, you might run into DD issues but otherwise... you can swab any upper you want onto a MG.
    I didn't know that(though I should have).

Last edited:

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I didn't know that.

Yeah, I have lots of uppers for my M16. 9mm 5" barrel, 223 in 11.5", 14.5", 16", 20", 7.62x39 in 16", Shrike in 233 with 10", 12" and 16"... Maybe more and I don't even have that many.

Only SBR people get all worried about barrel length. MG people don't give a crap what barrel length is on the ATF form. We never update the ATF on anything related to barrel length as its meaningless. We swap out uppers all the time and sometimes several in one trip to the range. It drives me nuts hearing from SBR people all worried about what is written on the ATF form. The only thing that matters is that the tax has been paid on your SBR. Everything on that form is just to help ID the gun. I don't even know what barrel length is listed on my M16 form 4.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yeah, I have lots of uppers for my M16. 9mm 5" barrel, 223 in 11.5", 14.5", 16", 20", 7.62x39 in 16", Shrike in 233 with 10", 12" and 16"... Maybe more and I don't even have that many.

Only SBR people get all worried about barrel length. MG people don't give a crap what barrel length is on the ATF form. We never update the ATF on anything related to barrel length as its meaningless. We swap out uppers all the time and sometimes several in one trip to the range. It drives me nuts hearing from SBR people all worried about what is written on the ATF form. The only thing that matters is that the tax has been paid on your SBR. Everything on that form is just to help ID the gun. I don't even know what barrel length is listed on my M16 form 4.
    AFAIK, the only time ATF wants to know of a change is if you permanently change to a shorter barrel length or caliber of an SBR. I still don't believe it's mandatory at that.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    AFAIK, the only time ATF wants to know of a change is if you permanently change to a shorter barrel length or caliber of an SBR. I still don't believe it's mandatory at that.

Yes, I agree. While it may be "mandatory", it is so without penalty. There is nothing illegal about it and no fine/jail time for not keeping it updated, so long as the firearm can still be IDed to show that the tax has been paid. At least from all I have seen. That is why I watch these SBR guys freaking out everytime they get a new caliber or barrel length and feel a need to raise their hand and ask for more homework from the ATF. The big point to remember is that the tax must be paid on a SBR, that is the law. The rest is just paperwork.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom