• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I carry one in my pistol (naturally) and one in my pocket. I'm gonna have to get mag pouches that match my holsters....getting tired of the mag in the pocket.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    OK... I may get flamed a bit for saying this, but there is sort of a limit to what you can use. You can't fire forever without letting your gun cool down. With an AK, if I shoot 4 mags (or a drum and a mag), the thing is putting out some serious heat... at some point, it's good to take a break and reload. Now that being said... if you have multiple guns in the same caliber/family... I would use 4-5 as a good common-sense multiple.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    For handguns, at least two each. (Still looking for a second one for my Bersa Mod 85.)

For my ARs, far more than I hope to ever need.
    :tinfoil:

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Same answer for ammo. If someone asks and you know how many mags, AR's, pistols, or ammo you have....you don't have enough!!!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    With 10/1 approaching, and with mags with a capacity of greater than 10 about to be outlawed unless grandfathered,

Incorrect. Possession is legal. No grandfathering required. Only limits are on purchasing and transferring INSIDE MD.

bigangrysob

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 19, 2013
    Cow County
    as many as you the wife n kids n group can carry.... but really, i have a hard time believing it would be legal to possess "high capacity" magd after 10/1.....

just read up. wow. are law makers that f-n tarded?! talk about uselessness with intent to accomplish zero.

OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    If it's something I don't shoot too often I like to keep 5. If it's something I shoot regularly I usually go for 10 per gun. Don't necessarily have a specific reason... but I doubt I would find myself saying. "I just have too many magazines." I could see myself saying, "I need more mags!"

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    I think the big issue is not AR mags or Glock mags. That stuff will be plentiful after October. Just takes a car ride. The real rub is the stuff you can't find anywhere and would have to order on-line. That is GONE after 10/1 unless you have an out-of-state buddy. You are also going to see some guns never made in MD compliant versions. They will only be sold out of state with 10+ mags. Getting those is going to be a bitch because it will require an out of state purchase in person. You take the mags home with you after buying them in PA or VA and the gun travels with no mags into MD to be picked up at a MD FFL. No transfer of illegal mags inside MD. Great, at least it is still theoretically possible, but how often do you think you would actually do this? I'm thinking almost never.

Also - any new gun that isn't sold in a compliant version will never make the roster so even this will not work for stuff that isn't already on the roster. The variety of stuff available will definitely decline as time goes by. Particularly anything that is not made by a major, high volume manufacturer who needs to sell into California and so is already making 10 round versions.

pakman916

Apr 23, 2011
    MoCo, MD
    I asked a similar question not to long ago and the response is pretty much in line with what others have posted here. Here's my take on it:

You want to buy as much as you budget will allow you. As others have stated, you can never have "too much", but that doesn't mean you should exhaust your life savings just to stock up on ammo and mags. Here are a few things to keep in mind.

1) Mags can break, rust, malfunction, etc. Some are repairable...some are not. Have enough mags in the event you have one or two break on you.

2) Mags can go scarce. Have enough mags where you don't feel like you will be affected if they suddenly become impossible to find...or even illegal to purchase.

3) Mags can be used to barter in the event things go down the tubes. And I'm not talking necessarily zombie apocalypse...but even this past Jan-March/April....pmags were selling for $30-$50. Double, Triple, Quadruple what they were selling for pre-scare. Think of it as an investment.

In my opinion, it's good to have 5-10 mags for each gun you own. Especially if you find a good deal, why not. Anything more than 10 is used for an investment. In a perfect world, where people aren't scared of guns and magazines and ammo are always readily available, I don't see why you would need more then 5-10 mags per gun. You would just buy more to replace any broken ones.

Also, thinking about a SHTF situation, do you really want to be lugging around 100 lbs of ammo and magazines? Not me.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    With 10/1 approaching, and with mags with a capacity of greater than 10 about to be outlawed unless grandfathered, how many is ENOUGH?

Having just topped up on everything I own to 4 or 5, I am thinking that is enough. What say you?

Enough is however many you want to have on hand if you cannot purchase more. Same with ammo. Take a lesson from the last six months.

We cannot count on always being able to just drive to PA or VA to buy what we cannot buy today in MD.

We want more. We want more. You like something, you want more.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    With 10/1 approaching, and with mags with a capacity of greater than 10 about to be outlawed unless grandfathered, how many is ENOUGH?

Having just topped up on everything I own to 4 or 5, I am thinking that is enough. What say you?

(I am speaking of pistols. I suspect AR mags are a very different story.)

I consolidated my handguns to 9mm, .45ACP, and .22LR in the past year. Then I consolidated to two platforms, Glock and 1911. With three firearms that take G17 or above capacity mags I'm sitting at about 20 between 17rd and 33rd. In 1911 I'm at 10. My .22 handgun is a Ruger MKII which is not impacted by the mag law.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    You know you have too many magazines, when you open the closet door, and 300 magazines fall out.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm..... problem solved. With that many magazines on the floor, the shelves now have more space, for more magazines!!!!!!!

:D

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I think the big issue is not AR mags or Glock mags. That stuff will be plentiful after October. Just takes a car ride. The real rub is the stuff you can't find anywhere and would have to order on-line. That is GONE after 10/1 unless you have an out-of-state buddy. You are also going to see some guns never made in MD compliant versions. They will only be sold out of state with 10+ mags. Getting those is going to be a bitch because it will require an out of state purchase in person. You take the mags home with you after buying them in PA or VA and the gun travels with no mags into MD to be picked up at a MD FFL. No transfer of illegal mags inside MD. Great, at least it is still theoretically possible, but how often do you think you would actually do this? I'm thinking almost never.

Also - any new gun that isn't sold in a compliant version will never make the roster so even this will not work for stuff that isn't already on the roster. The variety of stuff available will definitely decline as time goes by. Particularly anything that is not made by a major, high volume manufacturer who needs to sell into California and so is already making 10 round versions.

And which maker does not need CA as a market????? And don't forget other states that are coming online with a mag limit. Care to bet on the availability of guns shipped with a 7 round magazine to meet NY laws????

And remember, anything that was made in the 90s, already has a 10 round magazine design with tooling, as ALL handguns were limited to 10 round magazines during that timeframe.

Getting an out of state mailing address is simple.

1) You can ship to a UPS or FedEx location outside MD for pickup.

2) You get a "mailbox" outside MD. Place across the street from my building has boxes for rent for $20 a month. And I can probably talk the guy into accepting packages only at a per package fee.

BigToe

Well Armed Vagrant
    I topped off my Glock 20SF, Glock 17 and P30 mags at 10 each. Sub 10 round mags I have 5 each, except for my Sig P238, which I only have two, because they are $40 friggin' dollars a piece. I lost count of 30 rnd. AR mags.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom