• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jason.krywicki

Sep 8, 2007
    GB, MD
    I use VV N320 for my 9mm minor loads with a 147 gr bullet. Very clean, very consistent throw on the powder measure on the Dillon 650. VV N320 is kind of like unobtanium right now though...
    Jason

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Take a vacation in PA.

You have a friend in Pennsylvania. :D

That's just it. I drive up through PA and VA regularly during kids winter travel sports :)
    PA this weekend Near Philly, VA (Passing by Green Top) on the next. Just need to find shops to stop by.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I use VV N320 for my 9mm minor loads with a 147 gr bullet. Very clean, very consistent throw on the powder measure on the Dillon 650. VV N320 is kind of like unobtanium right now though...
    Jason

There was plenty of lots of powders at the last Fredericksburg Gun Show. Primers, too. The Tulammo guy was out of small pistol primer, though :sad20:

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    I've never been to the Fredericksburg show. What promoter organizes the event? Seems like it is worth the drive...

I'm new to reloading and still looking for components and powder.

---
    Shamr0ck

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I found plenty of powder in NC.
    VV in stock. HP-38, HS-6 $22 lb, all primers in stock (CCI) $32 1000.
    Bass Pro in ashland, VA? had 3 lbs total at $36 lb
    I'm going back in a month.

HS-6 is great for me in .40.

noylj

Jun 3, 2012
    For 9mm and only for accuracy, I find Power Pistol (5.5-6.0gn and 124gn bullet) hard to beat, with Silhouette (4.0-5.3gn and 124gn bullet) being close (and seems to handle low pressure better than PP).
    I too use 231/HP38 (4.0-5.0gn and 124gn bullet)--or AA5 (5.0-5.5gn and 124gn bullet).

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    If anyone knows places to call/stop by around Charlotsville or culpeper. Let me know. The Ashland area where Green Top is, is about 30 mins out of the way, but I'd go that way if it meant getting what I want.

covertpanda

Penguin Hunter
    Sep 10, 2013
    Carroll
    I've had really good luck with Titegroup. Meters great, shoots great, and is a very compact powder that really goes a long way.

Only downside is it is a little dirty and smoky with lead bullets.
    Yeah, if you're shooting jacketed its great (and cheap!!!); I had to run moly's this year for my .40major, the smoke was a bit ridiculous.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Yeah, if you're shooting jacketed its great (and cheap!!!); I had to run moly's this year for my .40major, the smoke was a bit ridiculous.

It does get pretty smoky, but its accurate as all hell. I like it better than Bullseye personally.

Trouble is I'm almost out of Titegroup and I got a great big "5lb" tub of Bullseye sitting here :(

covertpanda

Penguin Hunter
    Sep 10, 2013
    Carroll
    It does get pretty smoky, but its accurate as all hell. I like it better than Bullseye personally.

Trouble is I'm almost out of Titegroup and I got a great big "5lb" tub of Bullseye sitting here :(
    Yeah, the accuracy is definitely there. One of my other guys was running bullseye in 9minor 147's, i got him to try TG; he's now using it for 9 and .45. Also, I'm finally almost out of moly's, pretty happy about that.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    If anyone knows places to call/stop by around Charlotsville or culpeper. Let me know. The Ashland area where Green Top is, is about 30 mins out of the way, but I'd go that way if it meant getting what I want.

If you're going to Green Top, keep in mind that Bass Pro is one exit (going south) before the one for Green Top.

Niiiiiiiiiice store!!!!!!!! MUCH better than Hanover.

No lines at gun counter.
    Powder is on-the-shelf, where you can help yourself.

Better layout of store. CLEAN!!! Two thumbs :thumbsup::thumbsup: waaaaaaaaay up for that BPS!!!

BeerHunter

Don't ReMember
    Feb 13, 2013
    SoPROM
    I pass through Ashland, VA once or twice a month and almost always stop in both Green Top and Bass Pro. Both are getting more and more components in stock; just have to hit them at the right time.

EDIT: Lots of CCI and Federal primers of all sizes at Green Top, limit of 500/day though.

Also, occasionally find deals on factory ammo and three weeks ago at Bass Pro, I scored my 2 box limit of factory 230g FMJ .45ACP Winchester White Box (100 rd) for $43/box. I'd just passed on the same stuff here in So. MD that was going for $66/box.

Last edited:

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I've only used Bullseye so far in 9mm. Works and measures well, clean burning.

I've used Bulleyes primarily for light 38 loads with hard cast lead boolits. Works really well for that application. I have moved away from it, however, as the charges are so light I fear the possibility of a double charge. That wouldn't be catastrophic for most or my 38 special loads since they are fired from 357 magnums...but I might be concerned about 9mm...especially from a progressive press. What do you think?

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    The 9x19mm uses a small case. I use 4.2 - 4.4 grains of Bullseye and it fills the case enough a double charge probably wouldn't allow the bullet to seat without undo force, if at all. Keep in mind I am using impression I got when checking the cases as I was reloading. I will double charge a case just see and get back to you. No, I won't seat a bulket and shoot it...

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I checked a little while ago. A double charge of 4.2 grains of Bullseye (8.4 grains total) fills to the case mouth. Down into the 3.5 grain weoghts a double charge won't allow the bullet to fully seat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom