• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    I've used Bulleyes primarily for light 38 loads with hard cast lead boolits. Works really well for that application. I have moved away from it, however, as the charges are so light I fear the possibility of a double charge. That wouldn't be catastrophic for most or my 38 special loads since they are fired from 357 magnums...but I might be concerned about 9mm...especially from a progressive press. What do you think?

If you are operating a progressive press correctly, I don't think a double charge is really the fear. If anything, you are fearing squibs because your auto powder hopper is empty (the reason for a "powder check die").

Same with my turret press: with the auto indexing on, I cannot double charge unless I pull the lever another 4 times.......which would also attempt to decap and size the loaded case, so I don't think it is possible unless I was really trying to double charge....

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    One could double charge with a progressive which does not auto index. One may have crushed a primer which loaded or something like that. When investigating the cause of the hangups one may inadvertent charge the case again if the press handle were to be pushed down. That's why when I do have a problem, the first thing I do is pull the charged case off the press.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Reagrding double-charges on a progressive -

What I don't follow, is why everyone doesn't keep track of their powder measure/hopper and what they are doing, with their press(es).

On the Dillon RL-550B, the powder measure/hopper is RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU, where you can keep an eye on the amount of powder that's in it.

Also, it takes ONE GLANCE down, to see IF the case is charged with powder, or not.

Also, on MY RL-550B, when the primer assembly (magazine) buzzer starts sounding, there are THREE primers left in the magazine.

Knowing your machine and how it works, goes a long way to preventing either a case without a primer, or a NON-charged/empty (with powder) case or a DOUBLE-charged case.

I don't care if someone is using Bullseye, W-231, H-110 or Alliant 2400, or Blue Dot, Green Dot or freshly ground pepper.

This warning/statement should be attached (with a hang tag) to every loading press, before the manufacturer seals the box:

"Read, understand and follow, not only the directions that come with this press, but also loading manuals, and adhere to known safety practices."

In all my years of loading/reloading, I've never ran the powder measure/hopper empty.
    It's just common sense to keep an eye on what you're doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom