Magic Eight-Ball Question (Concealed Carry)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 11b

Feb 4, 2015
    Hey everyone, longtime lurker. I understand this is a "magic eight-ball" type question and is highly specific to my scenario, so bear with me.

I live in the city and while walking near my apartment today a group of five young kids tried to rob me. Two of these kids must have been eating protein all day, because they were at least 180 lbs a piece and well over 6 foot (im 6' 150lb lol). Being a veteran and a generally stubborn man, I told them if they were going to steal my stuff they'd better come and take it. At this point one of the kids decides to pull out a gun. My adrenaline was running pretty high but I took a breath and looked closely at the weapon- I didn't think a 16 year old was capable of doing such a dumb thing. Lo and behold, it was clearly an airsoft pistol. After some expletives were tossed back and forth, I started walking away but they kept hitting me with large sticks, newspapers, and anything they could pick up. Naturally I pulled out my Ka-Bar TDI and, after some repeated attempts to rush me by these idiots, drove them off. Got a pretty good gash from my hairline down to my eye, cuts/bruises on the hand etc.

SO here I am looking at getting my CCW, probably in vain I'll admit. Is this enough of a "documented threat" to merit a permit? I'm not afraid of those kids per se, but the next time some moron with a gun shows up and wants more than my backpack, I'd like to be protected.

I understand this is one of those questions where the answer is, "submit the app and find out!". Just looking to see if anyone has actually received a permit based on assault, and what the circumstances were.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I have received a permit based on threats and an assault. You should definitely report this to the police with descriptions and all the details. If you want my honest opinion I don't think you have enough here to warrant getting a permit to carry. At this point your issue is a one time thing and you don't have any type of evidence or proof that these guys are coming back for you or out to get you. My scenario played out over a couple years and involved me going to court and the commisioner on several occasions to file for peace orders that were granted. I also had witnesses to harassment and threats that were made to me. Eventually this lead to me being assaulted and threatened with a hammer in front of several people. This is when I decided to apply for a carry permit. I put together a very detailed application along with photos, copies of police reports, court documents, emergency room report, peace orders, witness statements, etc. I don't think I would submit an application stating that some kids threw sticks and stones at me and had an air soft gun.....now if it continues then maybe you have a case.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I'm sorry that you got assaulted & I'm glad that you are more or less OK...

You were lucky......very lucky...

It's simply time for you to to face the music...

The CITY is simply not a good or safe place for you to live...

For a longer, healthier & happier life, move...

You need to check out & walk thru (day & night) potential areas to live in BEFORE you sign a lease...

I lived in the city for 52 years before bailing out in 1996...

Life is simple, GET OUT OF THE CITY & DO IT NOW...

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Glad you are ok.

Sorry you were set upon by the denizens of downtown.

No expert on CCW viability based on facts provided.

Concur with police report or "it didn't happen".

My GUESS is that nothing will happen quickly w/o regard to what may happen over long run permit application wise.

SGT Preston is one cagey fella. You don't know him cause you're new. (note to OP--introduction is in order...see Intro section) I would carefully consider his sage advice. As I age, I find increasingly I prefer not to confront because I'm not the "young buck" I was. The denizens of downtown are all about confrontation and numbers and intimidation...it's in their DNA just like free shit and born being demeaned by the man. That ain't gonna change. The likelihood that this will occur again is pretty good. As you survive more encounters, your chances of consistent positive results drop dramatically. That calculus is what it is. You can: deny that fact, live with it and carry on or change some of the terms in your favor... A permit would certainly change the terms and the calculus; the end result still perhaps not good. Moving changes the game.

IMO, make sure there's a police report, apply for a permit, give serious consideration to a permanent change of scenery. Day to day, chance confrontations are one thing. If SHTF, the city ain't viable as no permit or carry or weapon or tactic or extra large set of brass nuts will keep you safe...

Good luck. Choose wisely.

Last edited:

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    You need to check out & walk thru (day & night) potential areas to live in BEFORE you sign a lease...

Best advice. I would not live in Baltimore city. There are safe suburbs close to the metro or trains.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Magic Eight Ball says...

Don't count on it
    My reply is no
    My sources say no
    Outlook not so good
    Very doubtful

Sorry to hear this happened to you. Baltimore is no place for humans.

giggity

Nov 8, 2013
    Scenarios like this is exactly why your average Joe should be allowed to carry. You're very lucky things didn't become worse then it did. Glad to hear that you're ok. I doubt you'd be able to get a carry permit for what happened to you. Proactive personal protection is not the way Maryland thinks.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.

+200000.

Veteran or no.. outnumbered, no support, Gov hostile to the interests of non criminals ( note thats the elected gov not the police..they are not the problem) get out.

Let's see, OP. Are you a judge or in some other line of work such that other people refer to you as "The Honorable"? No, huh. Then are you an Ass't State's Attorney? Hmm, not that either. How about a major contributor to one or more of the pests inhabiting Annapolis this time of year? Nothing there. Well then, I guess the answer is no carry permit for you. You'll just have to do what the rest of us do downtown - keep your head on swivels and try to have an open escape route at all times.

2ndltsdad

Nov 19, 2014
    Trappe... not Lakeside !
    the rule is if your a business owner or employee that carries cash,work as a rail road officer, have a court ordered domestic protection thing your chance is slim.
    like others have said best to move if your in question of your safety.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    The simple truth is that you basically have no shot at getting a permit based on the description of this incident. Getting robbed once does not count as a direct threat to your life.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    A documented threat is not "documented" without a police report. A documented threat generally will not get you a permit. It is more a series of specific, documented threats. I am sorry, but this Magic Eight-Ball thinks that your odds are very slim.

11b

Feb 4, 2015
    Thanks for all the replies, great advice.

As far as the documentation goes, I did report it. I actually called 911, who proceeded to hang up on me, before a witness called the police. BPD showed up in under 5 min. (great guys btw), got all the info and took me to the station to interview with detectives, etc. One of their first comments? "You should probably move." We had a good laugh haha.

Baltimore can be such a great city but no place is truly safe; unfortunately moving isn't really an option for me personally as I work and go to school in the midtown area. For those wondering, this was in the Reservoir Hill neighborhood. It's block by block here- some blocks are full of families that care and look out for each other (mine), other blocks not so much. Lots of robberies on the street in broad daylight because criminals know for a *fact* 99.99% of the students aren't packing. They'll walk up behind people, motion like they have a gun in their waistband, and that's it- say goodbye to all your stuff.

I feel terrible for the people that live in truly bad neighborhoods and can't carry. I actually feel guilty complaining about my situation when there are rape victims, home invasion victims, and victims of brutal assaults that still cant carry a firearm to protect themselves on the street.

Anyways, thanks for the advice. I'll push forward with the app in the coming months and keep updating.

11b

Feb 4, 2015
    you should have handed over your stuff and retreated

@mdram: I tried. At first I thought these kids wanted to fight, and I was about to just continue about my business. Then one said, to paraphrase, "Gimme all your stuff". I was honestly shocked because they were barely highschool age. Thats when I kind of blurted out that they'd have to take it from me, not thinking they'd have a "gun" because again, they were highschool age. Of course when someone pulls a gun on you, you cant exactly walk away.

After I identified it as fake, I tried to walk away. They followed me and continued to assault me, albeit at arms length due to my very sharp Ka-Bar.

BradyWarrior

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 13, 2014
    Maryland
    @mdram: I tried.

After I identified it as fake, I tried to walk away. They followed me and continued to assault me, albeit at arms length due to my very sharp Ka-Bar.

This might come across as a dumb question, but with the adrenaline pumping (I assume) how did you ID the gun as a fake?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom