• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCSCO

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2008
    Frederick County
    When worn on the hip, do your mags face forward. Pull out in palm of hand, twist wrist, and insert into pistol. Does anyone position their mags facing rear. How does that work?

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'll check my duty mags tomorrow. I'm 99% sure the rounds face to the rear.

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    Mine face forward. I do this because I was trained to index the magazine prior to insertion. This also makes guiding the mag into the mag well easier. I guess after 8 yrs itd be hard to do anything different. also, I typically faced the magazine backwards to let me know it was less than fuly loaded, quick reference in low light and night operations

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    bullets pointing rear.

grab the mag thumb forward, other fingers on the front side of the mag, wrist comes up and pointer finger comes off to index.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    mag floor plate facing forward. I compress my grip in to my face while pressing down on mag release with trigger finger(p99's kick ass), release with my support hand, drop it down to my mag carrier at my left hip, index the front lip of the floor plate on the meat of my hand above my wrist as i draw it straight up, as drawing up and rotating the mag, i'll index the nose of the top bullet onto my index finger so i can basically just point at the mag well in front of my face to properly align the magazine, seat hard at a 45 degree angle forward to have the seating action release the slide, punch back out and regrip with support hand.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    When worn on the hip, do your mags face forward. Does anyone position their mags facing rear. How does that work?

It doesn't......at least not very well.

The only "against the grain" style I've seen be successful in this area is Ben Stoeger, who carries his beretta mags perpendicular to his belt line, with the rounds facing outwards.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Since Smokey gave a detailed description, here's mine.

1. Move support hand toward new magazine, twist pistol 30 degrees while hitting the mag release button with shooting hand's thumb.

2. Pull new magazine from belt, turn opening of mag towards pistol, insert magazine, slap bottom of magazine to ensure full seating.

3. If the magazine has run dry before 1, rack slide with support hand, tilt pistol to firing position, start firing. If the pistol still has a round in the chamber, tilt pistol to firing position, start firing.

Jim

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    only problem with Mr. Army man, he is round counting. He hasn't incorporated "running dry" and releasing the slide. Good shot etc, but don't forget, 9 out of 10 times when you NEED to reload with the SHTF, it's cause you are dry, not counting rounds. The pistols I have don't have the "indication" like my M4/M16, I know when there is no rounds left in the mag but one in the chamber because I can see the bolt catch lock out with my peripheral vision :D

But, yea other than that, thats how I do my reloads too :D

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    only problem with Mr. Army man, he is round counting. He hasn't incorporated "running dry" and releasing the slide.

In his particular sport, which this video was made for, running dry is a bad thing.

He can do a slidelock reload just fine. I've seen it personally. :party29:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    In his particular sport, which this video was made for, running dry is a bad thing.

He can do a slidelock reload just fine. I've seen it personally. :party29:

course even just focusing on his reloads, they're pretty impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom