• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    By this logic, why own any magazines larger than 10 rounds? Why risk it if MD has a general 10 round limit?
    If you can buy a 30-40 round magazine out of state, why cant I assemble a 60 round magazine out of state as well?

Please re-read what I wrote.
    It's perfectly legal to own a magazine over ten round capacity. And yes, you can assemble a sixty round magazine if you want to. Just do it out of MD, and it's fine.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    By this logic, why own any magazines larger than 10 rounds? Why risk it if MD has a general 10 round limit?
    If you can buy a 30-40 round magazine out of state, why cant I assemble a 60 round magazine out of state as well?

He means don't risk doing it in maryland even though no one would likely ever know or be able to prove it. If you want to own something like this you have to get/assemble it in a state where it is legal and then bring it in. Possession is legal.

But again, this product is bad. The joint between the 2 will be a major weak spot, especially with all the weight when fully loaded. I would bet that feeding will not be 100% with 2 springs joined together. There are much better options out there.

TDS

Sep 17, 2013
    He means don't risk doing it in maryland even though no one would likely ever know or be able to prove it. If you want to own something like this you have to get/assemble it in a state where it is legal and then bring it in. Possession is legal.

But again, this product is bad. The joint between the 2 will be a major weak spot, especially with all the weight when fully loaded. I would bet that feeding will not be 100% with 2 springs joined together. There are much better options out there.

I see what you're saying. But I'm not asking about the alternatives. I just want to know the legality of the mag double

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    I can't imagine the lower set of feed lips not causing the spring to hangup. I would be surprised if this thing actually worked at all.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I see what you're saying. But I'm not asking about the alternatives. I just want to know the legality of the mag double

So, now you do. It's perfectly legal (if pointless, truly) to possess. Just don't procure, or put it together in Maryland.

It's not a useful product. It's like empty calories.

So, with that in mind, you can get empty calories AND assemble this contraption in the McDonald's parking lot in Gettysburg. Perfect!

But if you're driving to the designated mag maintenance parking spot at that McDonalds, just visit a show or shop in PA and buy something that's much more structurally sound, aesthetically pleasing, and functionally reliable.

But if you must, visit MagDonald's.

Attachments

• magdonalds.jpg
      magdonalds.jpg
      45.1 KB · Views: 232

TDS

Sep 17, 2013
    So, now you do. It's perfectly legal (if pointless, truly) to possess. Just don't procure, or put it together in Maryland.

So, with that in mind, you can get empty calories AND assemble this contraption in the McDonald's parking lot in Gettysburg. Perfect!

But if you're driving to the designated mag maintenance parking spot at that McDonalds, just visit a show or shop in PA and buy something that's much more structurally sound, aesthetically pleasing, and functionally reliable.

That pictures great. Really exposes the ridiculousness of the law.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE

Perfectly legal to procure it in MD. Perfectly legal to possess it in MD.

This isn't any different than a mag coupler. https://magpul.com/firearm-accessor...pmag30genm2moe-genm3.html?mp_global_color=118

You still end up with two 30 round magazines, bound together.

Does duct taping two 30 round magazines together in MD make it manufacturing a 60?

IANAL, just asking questions.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012

This isn't any different than a mag coupler. https://magpul.com/firearm-accessor...pmag30genm2moe-genm3.html?mp_global_color=118

Does duct taping two 30 round magazines together in MD make it manufacturing a 60?

It makes one mag feed into another, doubling useful capacity. That's how it's advertised, at least.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    What you do in your own house with the blinds closed and webcams taped over is your own business :innocent0

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Because it does not just join them together, it feeds from the combined mags.

So basically, take 2x 30 round mags, and this device, and have a 60 round mag.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I can't imagine the lower set of feed lips not causing the spring to hangup. I would be surprised if this thing actually worked at all.

Why?

The lower follower will be against the feed lips and create a base plate for the lower spring.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Does it come with the new spring you will need? I cannot watch the video at work.

From the Website.
    Assembly is easy, you simply remove the baseplates from your magazines and then lock them together with the Mag Double, no tools required. You don’t need to modify the magazines in any way, and you can combine them or revert them back to their normal configuration in under a minute.

Now one Magazine has the opening down and one is up into the rifle. How can it feed all 60? You need to remove the ASSY and re-insert it with the bottom magazine opening facing up.

This post had me confused.

Because it does not just join them together, it feeds from the combined mags.

So basically, take 2x 30 round mags, and this device, and have a 60 round mag.

So yes, this would be considered manufacturing/assembling an illegal magazine, if assembled in MD.

A crappy assembly video from the manufacturer. You can't see half of what they do. :sad20: Works well in the video.

bigjoegood1

King Lurker
    MDS Supporter
    May 2, 2005
    Behind enemy lines
    Also - that double magazine is ... no, just..no. The Magpul 60 round drumb is prob the best option for that kind of capacity. You would have to purchase it out of state. They are very reliable, but a b*tch to load or unload. I can load 5 - 30 round magazines in the time it takes to load one of those.

I thought I was the only one that hates loading the D-60. I've loaded and emptied mine exactly once in the three years since I bought that dang thing.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I thought I was the only one that hates loading the D-60. I've loaded and emptied mine exactly once in the three years since I bought that dang thing.

They don’t work with a Lula loader?

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I dont have a Lula loader but iirc you have to wind the D-60 mag as you load the rounds and it gets progressively harder to load to the point where I thought I would break the loading lever.

Lula is great for all the Magpul and Surefire “clips” but not the drums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom