• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BunkerKing

5.56 ammo horder. . .
    Jun 5, 2012
    Land of the O's
    I finally pulled out M44, took some shots of the import marks and what not. cleaned her up a bit, hoping to take it out Saturday and run a few rounds through her. can anyone tell me if this is the correct color for the stock also. thanks for looking.

BunkerKing

5.56 ammo horder. . .
    Jun 5, 2012
    Land of the O's
    If you don't mind me asking: where / when / how much did you get her? Looks like a great one!

not at all, I bought this from a friends grandfather a few years ago who lived in the city at the time. I paid $125 with all the accessories and 1760 rounds of silvertip Bulgarian surplus ammo. only thing ive done is clean the bolt up and smooth out the contact points in the action.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I have one too, pretty sure mine has the original color stock because it has the serial number in it. I think yours is about the same.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      44.1 KB · Views: 339

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    Yes, all of the 1946 M44s I have ever seen have those light colored stocks, the OP rifle is interesting, looks mostly original but for some reason the bolt was replaced and forced matched, thus the lack of the prefix, also had at least a minor refurbishment, otherwise the muzzle would still be blued rather than recrowned.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Yes, all of the 1946 M44s I have ever seen have those light colored stocks, the OP rifle is interesting, looks mostly original but for some reason the bolt was replaced and forced matched, thus the lack of the prefix, also had at least a minor refurbishment, otherwise the muzzle would still be blued rather than recrowned.

One thing I've noticed is that all of my Mosins- including a mint 1950s Romanian and a mint 1950s Polish- have silver or "unblued" muzzle crowns- with exception of the 1946 Russian M44 which has a blue crown. Thanks for that one, btw!

BunkerKing

5.56 ammo horder. . .
    Jun 5, 2012
    Land of the O's

It has some blue left on the muzzle, its just worn off a bunch. I can remember my buddy saying his grand father, after shooting would place the butt of the gun on the ground, and place his palm on the muzzle using it as an arm rest while a 30 minute war story followed. So it probably wore down some from that I guess.

BunkerKing

5.56 ammo horder. . .
    Jun 5, 2012
    Land of the O's
    It shoots straight for what it is. I've used a lot of surplus ammo and it likes the Bulgarian junk the best. And absolutely hates any brass cased rounds.

DennisCA

Yup - I've got one too, however it's a 1953 Polish M44:
    polishm44overview.jpg

BTW - I paid $235 last year (total price) from a guy in SoCal (I live in NoCal)
    Not as pretty as some - I call it character

Love it just the same!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom