• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pez34a

Feb 17, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    Picked this up at the Frederick show today. Serial lookup puts it as Jan 1918, which matches well with a barrel date of Dec 1917. Looks to all by matching Eddystone parts. Stock looks like it was sanded and refinished at some point, no arsenal stamps anywhere, but at least it wasn't sporterized! Action is smooth and bore is clean.

KOqQ2Vfl.jpg

5PCYSVil.jpg

IBCStDZl.jpg

The only stamp on the stock, it does not match the receiver serial:
    hLglwutl.jpg

I posted a few more pics here if interested. I also picked up the repro M1907 sling at the show.

This was a big gap in my US Arms collection; very happy with the find! Any thoughts?

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Beautiful rifle, always wanted a 1917...great score with it having all Eddystone parts and nice wartime dated receiver and barrel. Most I've handled recently have a mix-n-max of parts or WWII replacement barrels so I've been holding out for something more like yours!

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Very nice pickup, how's the bore? Having it's original barrel is a real plus. I have a nice one but it's got a WW2 Johnson Automatics replacement barrel.

Attachments

• IMG_1218.jpg
      IMG_1218.jpg
      63.8 KB · Views: 343

Rem700fan

Ammo Disposal Expert
    Jul 11, 2012
    Eastern Panhandle, WV
    Nice rifle. They are nice shooting, strong action rifles. The action strength is one reason so many were converted to other calibers when they were first available on the surplus market.
    I recently traded for a non-refurbished Winchester. Only have to find a replacement Winchester butt plate as the one on it is rusted from sitting in the guys closet after a water heater leaked and made the carpet wet. If anyone has a Winchester butt plate or knows of one for sale, please pm me.
    Here is a link to help find the markings on all marked parts.
    http://m1903.com/m1917markings.htm

peckman28

Aug 27, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Ohhhh I do love the M1917 Enfield rifles. I picked one up in VA last year myself. It's like a gap in the collection you barely even knew was there...I'd never give mine up now. Great find!

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'll be picking up a Winchester one later this year to match my current Eddystone. Very impressive looking rifles, even more so with the bayonet fixed.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Great find. If it has already been refinished you could strip the stock and restore it with hand rubbed boiled linseed oil. That would return it to the condition that it was issued. I don't think these rifles get the respect they deserve. I own one and I prefer it over both of my 03's when it comes to shooting.

ksy95

Mar 11, 2013
    Very nice rifle! After my bank account recovers from the M1 Garand attack, I'll probably be in the market for one of these or a Patter 14 in .303.

Funbrit

May 28, 2008
    Rockville
    Model 1917 is not a Enfield nor is the Pattern 14, although people constantly refer to them as such, nice .06 congratulations.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Congratulations! It's nice to see the Model 1917 get the respect it deserves. When I started collecting it was very much looked down upon by the Springfield 1903 purists. Thanks to this I was able to buy a nice ex-Canadian issued M1917 at a very fair price. Remember a PA dealer selling these by the truck load at a HOCO gunshow back in the 90s. The first day he told me he sold out and had to drive home to get a second load for Sunday when I got there. All the Winchesters flew out the door on Saturday but I was very happy with my Remington.
    I believe mine was given to the Canadians then sent to England for Home Guard used during WWII. It has RCA and Canadian Broad Arrow marks along with a band of red paint on the stock behind the upper band with "30-06" in black ink to warn Tommies that this wasn't a Pattern 14 chambered in .303 British. Effective in that regard, can't miss it! Every reference to this red band I've read about was in conjunction with HG use so it's a very plausible story.
    Enjoy your new acquisition, they're very good shooters!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom