• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blalock

Apr 1, 2009
    Kingsville, MD
    I am sending in an application for the CMP this week. I am going to order my son (he is 16 months old) a service grade M1 Garand that I can give him when he grows up. I'd like to get myself one also and I was wondering if I ordered a field grade would it be a decent shooter or should I scrape up the extra coin and go for a service grade too? I'd like to hear from those who have a field grade and what kind of shape it was in when you got it. Thanks!

Last edited:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Right now it looks like they're offering Field Grades, which are better than Rack. I say go for the best you can afford. A Field Grade should be a good shooter, and a good deal. I have a Service Grade and a Correct, myself, but there are some who'll tell you that the Field Grade can be the best deal for a shooter.

Check out the CMP forum for the best inside information.

http://www.thecmp.org/forums/

DanJo

Mar 4, 2010
    Western Howard County
    I have two rack grade Garands and two service grade Garands. Both of my service grades shoot tighter groups than the rack grades, but a buddy picked up a rack grade that out shoots both of my service grades. It's partly luck of the draw, but you have a better chance of getting a shooter if you go with the higher grade as they will have less muzzle and throat erossion. Part of the fun is waiting to see what you get in the lottery. If you don't belong to a CMP affiliated club join the Garand Collectors Assoc. ($25 I think) and you will be good to go as long as you have proof of marksmenship experience. The CMP site has a list of what qualifies.

Good luck with the Garands, but be careful as they are addictive.

Blalock

Apr 1, 2009
    Kingsville, MD
    I want one so bad. What did you have to do/get to fullfill the requirements?

I became a member of the Garand Collectors Assoc. so I have to send a copy of my card. I'm sending a copy of my Utah cwp to prove my firearms activity portion. and a copy of my birth certificate.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    The cmp eliminated rack grades.....(essentially).

The field grades are kinda rough right now. I did well with luck of the draw about 2 years ago, but the times they are leaner......

The service grades are getting glowing reviews right now. If you are only getting one, go for the service grade.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I became a member of the Garand Collectors Assoc. so I have to send a copy of my card. I'm sending a copy of my Utah cwp to prove my firearms activity portion. and a copy of my birth certificate.

The CMP gets weekly updates from the GCA on its membership, so you don't have to even send them your card. Just write "GCA" on the appropriate line of your order form, and they can confirm it on their computer.

Blalock

Apr 1, 2009
    Kingsville, MD
    The cmp eliminated rack grades.....(essentially).

The field grades are kinda rough right now. I did well with luck of the draw about 2 years ago, but the times they are leaner......

The service grades are getting glowing reviews right now. If you are only getting one, go for the service grade.

Thanks field grade is what I ment to say.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Go for a Service Grade if you can. Also get as much ammo as you can, bearing in mind that you can survive indefinately on potatos and water.

You'll still have the Service Grade long, long after you forget what you paid for it.

Funbrit

May 28, 2008
    Rockville
    I sent my app in last week along with a friend from Virginia for a service grade each, cant wait to get it, the feedback on these Greeks are really good for service grades.
    I already had my C&R and membership in IWLA so i met the requirements but my friend joined https://m1collectorsclub.com/Home.php for 14.00 a year and their even based out of Rockville, MD.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I don't have c&r. Do I send the garand to the dealer?

CMP is congressionally chartered and does it own NICS checks, and can ship with no FFL.

+1 on the M1 collectors club. I'm really impressed with their M1 for Vets rifle drive. they will be getting my membership dollars this year.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    I don't have c&r. Do I send the garand to the dealer?

Others can correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that if you meet the criteria on the CMP website (link provided in an earlier post) then you do not need a C&R and CMP will still send direct to you. But a C&R can serve to fulfill the "firearms related activity" criterion, though...

Funbrit

May 28, 2008
    Rockville
    I was over on the CMP boards checking on my order and apparently the long awaited Bayonets have come in, seems like it will be some time before they are for sell due to sorting, cleaning etc but if you are in the market for one it may be a good idea to watch for them to come up to be sold.

Here is the link with the photo of a box open.

http://www.thecmp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13152

also threads on the SOG Garands, some ordered and sent them back, if you are deciding to buy one maybe this thread will help your decision.

http://www.thecmp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12687

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom