• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    Noticed what looks like a botched park job on my new SGS: wondered what you Garand experts on here thought about it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      71 KB · Views: 366

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I don't see it. If you are referring to the slight discoloration above the stamping that's probably just grease absorbed by the finish (park holds oil/grease). That's right where I place my thumb in prone...

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    it's definitely nothing to worry about. Based on the slight wear on the heel and sights, it's been handled a bit if not shot. As you get more range time with it the park will change color (grease from the oprod track, cleaning chemicals,etc, are all going to have minor influences on the final color) but these changes will be very minor.

Nothing available equals the gi park job it started with so enjoy it.

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    The barrel seems perfect, but there is a whole lot of park wear on the sights, OP rod handle, and trigger guard. A little wear on the bolt, OP rod track and gas cyclinder, and some nicks in the park at various places. Think this is worth the premium over a standard service grade (I feel like I got shorted, but thought I'd check and see if I was being unreasonable in my expectations).

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Need to see more pics,if it's a Service Grade Special there should not be any wear, if there is I would contact Customer service. Good clear pics help.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Need to see more pics,if it's a Service Grade Special there should not be any wear

Not true. I've handled dozens of them at the CMP tables and there is a mix of light wear to almost no wear. You can really tell when you mess with the sights. Some of the elevation pinions are a true "Ca-Chunk" when you turn them other simply "click".

Service grade specials are categorized by low ME/TE and all matching (correct) parts (and a new walnut stock). That's what you have. Just out of curiosity, whats the first three of your serial number?

EDIT: Just went back to your earlier thread on this rifle. If you want to try the lotto again, I'll buy that one off you for invoice.

Service grades have higher ME/TE, mismatched parts and either GI(now rarer) or Birch(most common) replacement stocks.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Going by CMP description,

HRA collector grade metal in excellent almost new condition. Walnut stocks and handguards and associated hardware are new manufacture. NOT original HRA manufacture.

Wear to me is not excellent almost new condition, if there is substantial wear I would send it back,they may have mixed a regular Service Grade in the rack, thay have been swamped with orders.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Like I said, I'll drop cash in his hand for it if he wants to send it back. It easily meets the description.

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    Front sight just like rear. Only thing I didn't capture is some slight flaking around the muzzle.

Again this was my first CMP rifle and I'm not sure of what I got, just that all the parts are right according to a chart I saw and the LMR barrel is a good one (and with a 1/0+ reading is in good shape). I appreciate the input on both sides.

I am not sure if I'm expecting too much out of a 68 year old rifle and that all the SGS's are like this just that everyone else sees this as normal.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      116.5 KB · Views: 268

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    You are expecting too much out of a old and well used rifle. It looks like a fine shooter, enjoy. CMP is the best place to buy an M1, even better than my shop. ;)

If it was a Special Grade CMP rifle, I would not be happy, but since it isn't, you did fine.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    That's pretty minor wear to tell you the truth. Mostly edge wear from packing, unpacking, shipping. I don't see any wear inside the op rod track and the barrel finish is almost perfect.

Never mind. It's a piece of crap. I'll take it off your hands for what you paid and you should order another. :D

I still want to know the first two of the serial.....4.7 mil? 5.6 mil?

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Looks good to me and with a LMR barrel a real catch, don't sweat it just shoot it.
    It would also help if you backed up on the pics some, give us a shot of the whole receiver, like these pic's of one of my Correct Grades,
    P5240033.jpg

P5240027.jpg

P5240031.jpg

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    You are expecting too much out of a old and well used rifle. It looks like a fine shooter, enjoy. CMP is the best place to buy an M1, even better than my shop. ;)

If it was a Special Grade CMP rifle, I would not be happy, but since it isn't, you did fine.

It's a Service Grade Special, but I guess you are referring to the Remade, Rebarred, Reparked rifles.

It's a 5.6, and other than the grease spot I really like the color of the park (it's deep brown/green rather than black).

I'll post a receiver picture in a bit.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    That rifle is not safe to shoot. I think I could scavenge some parts off it, though, maybe the stacking swivel. Perhaps the bullet guide. I'll give you $75 for it, American.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Looks like a very nice shooter to me. The minor wear would encourage me to get it to the range early and often, since there's no "worry factor" over scuffing it the first time. It's what I would buy if I was at CMP picking one out. I'm not big on "perfect" for surplus rifles. I want to enjoy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom