• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    Purchased a m1 carbine and it arrived Monday :D, well went shooting today and failure on the fourth round.:sad20:
    It looks like the extractor(?) flew out and I'm clueless. I will attach a couple pictures and would like some input on what happened as far as cause and how to fix.
    Edit- We had enough toys with us to shoot so this did not ruin it
    Thanks
    extractor005_zps30cf5994.jpg

extractor004_zpsd91e1208.jpg

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I cant tell if it broke or not, but I suspect you will be buying a bolt takedown tool (can be bought from Fulton Armory pretty cheaply). It looks like the bolt might have broken, which I hope not or you are going to be buying a bolt, and if I cant find a good GI the aftermarket replacements take a fair amount of fitting to headspace.

Also that looks like a GI reciever and a cast slide? That shouldnt have caused the extractor to separate from the bolt but it is a pretty good indication that someone has been fiddling in there and may not have gotten it together perfectly right.

Where did the gun come from?

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    Bought it from a private seller whom I have dealt with before. I just want some more info before I contact him.
    No blood spilled today.

sheat36

May 24, 2012
    Westminster, MD
    Yup, you will need a bolt take down tool. When you get it, there are plenty of you tube videos to show how to take it apart. I agree with Jimbob, someone didnt put it back together correctly

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Looks to me like you need an extractor spring plunger, and a new extractor, and it is hard to tell from the pic, but the end of the ejector looks sheared off as well.

The extractor you have pictured may be fine, but have somebody who knows what they are doing check it out to be ure in is within acceptable specs as it may have been damaged/ deformed when it came out.

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    Looks to me like you need an extractor spring plunger, and a new extractor, and it is hard to tell from the pic, but the end of the ejector looks sheared off as well.

The extractor you have pictured may be fine, but have somebody who knows what they are doing check it out to be ure in is within acceptable specs as it may have been damaged/ deformed when it came out.

If someone can recommend a shop I will listen. I do not know how to fix it and would like it done right and not by me.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Bought it from a private seller whom I have dealt with before. I just want some more info before I contact him.
    No blood spilled today.

What make is the gun? Is it USGI? That slide looks like the type you see on early Universals and IAI guns. They are pretty different in spec than the GI staff (small on a micrometer but big in function). That probably didnt help any........... If its a USGI gun Id get a GI slide while you are at it.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    These guys are not local, you would have to ship the gun, but I firmly believe them to be the best when it comes to M1 Carbines and Garands.

They only work on USGI guns.

Orion 7

I have used them numerous times on very high end rifles md every day shooters and have ways been pleased.

http://www.m1garand.com/shop-services/

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    What make is the gun? Is it USGI? That slide looks like the type you see on early Universals and IAI guns. They are pretty different in spec than the GI staff (small on a micrometer but big in function). That probably didnt help any........... If its a USGI gun Id get a GI slide while you are at it.

Slide looks suspect, share some details.

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    1944 Inland, the slide has no markings but here is what I found by tearing it down.
    The extractor spring as seen in the first picture puts zero pressure on the extractor itself. When put back together the extractor just goes back and forth with no spring pressure. The spring disappears in the hole and is just there. I have no idea if it caused the problem but everything else looks good and functions fine. So we'll see.

Any thoughts or insight to what I found?

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    Update...
    Put a new spring and plunger on the bolt this mornig. Cycled 1 mag by hand with no problems so went out back and ran 3 mags thru it and it worked great.
    This is my first time firing the m1 carbine and said to myself "What the hell took so long to get one" nice little rifle.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Update...
    Put a new spring and plunger on the bolt this mornig. Cycled 1 mag by hand with no problems so went out back and ran 3 mags thru it and it worked great.
    This is my first time firing the m1 carbine and said to myself "What the hell took so long to get one" nice little rifle.

Glad it all came together, they are really an awesome little gun for what they are. Light, relatively effective cartridge, reliable

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom