• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I’ve got a couple in the safe, though one is my Son’s. It’s the gun his maternal great-grandfather carried in, and brought back from WW2. Pristine condition. It hung up over Pop-pops chair for the 15 years I knew him. He was a Quaker, but left the church to serve in a non-combat role during the war. Kind and quick witted. He used the Carbine to shoot raccoons when he caught them in traps. Might be TMI. but William Penn gifted his family a very large tract of land including land in Churchville. I have a copy somewhere. When he died, his kids sold off the last tract of land in family hands from that grant (to our knowledge). My wife’s family was at the center of almost every event from the founding. She can’t claim Mayflower, but one ancestor came over on boat #2. The Fortune.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    But having it straight blowback, like the Chiapas 9mm M1 Carbine lookalike, will negate those advantages of the M1 Carbine and designing a brand new locked breech platform drives up the cost significantly.

I wasn't suggesting to switch to a blowback design, I meant keeping the same system and adjusting it for 10mm.

Unless you're saying 10mm wouldn't produce enough gas to operate it?

Hi Point makes a 10mm straight blowback PCC. It’s heavier and cycles more violently than an M1 Carbine. Delayed blowback 10mm like the CMMG Banshee or the Dakota 10mm MP5 are options, but are way more expensive (and aren’t 16”).

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    My wife’s family was at the center of almost every event from the founding. She can’t claim Mayflower, but one ancestor came over on boat #2. The Fortune.

Perhaps her taste in amazing hair is hereditary, then?

standish.jpg

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I have a special place in my heart for M1 carbines... first gun I bought as an adult was an IBM and I've accumulated several more over the years. Ton of fun to shoot, quick handling and accurate enough at 150 yards or less. Now like all WWII items, they are jumping up in price to the point where it isn't worth it to buy more. I should have picked up more when they were in the $600 range.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I wasn't suggesting to switch to a blowback design, I meant keeping the same system and adjusting it for 10mm.

Unless you're saying 10mm wouldn't produce enough gas to operate it?
    I was saying if the system was adapted to 10mm, that would be way more expensive than simply doing a copy remaining in .30 Carbine using the same mags, which is still currently done by Kahr and MKS Supply and they are still not that cheap.

USGI collectors are purists and will just go with the real thing or one of the close clones. The remaining market is 10mm users, and such a thing would have to compete with modern 10mm PCC offerings.

Someone posted a .50 AE rebarrel of an M1 Carbine on the internet recently. That was doable relatively simply because it can feed from the regular mags as a single stack.

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    Our soldiers in Korea were much less impressed. Marines from the Chosin Reservoir campaign complained about the guns freezing up and the bullet failing to penetrate the winter clothes of the Chinese soldiers.
    My dad was stationed in Alaska, and told of his guys having to pee on their carbines to unfreeze them. Wrong lubricant.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If no one has said it yet; were it not for the M1 carbine, we would all be stuck with 18" minimum length rifle barrels...

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Wait! Are you saying the 16" barrel length was because of the M1 carbine?
    The original NFA was for stuff under 18” for all long guns. It got amended in the 30s for .22 rimfire rifles to only be affected if under 16.” It got further amended with the 1968 GCA to bring the limit for centerfire rifles to 16” as well. The M1 Carbine barrel is nominally 17.75” and there were a lot that had already sold through the DCM without any NFA taxes collected. Rather than make everyone modify or amnesty register them, Congress changed the law.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I only have one carbine but I think if if I bought one today I would have to learn more about them for what they want for them anymore.
    There's a lot of parts swapping going on with them so I think a good reference text would be a priority before buying anything these days.
    I watched a carbine match at Butner one time and those guys that are into then get them shoot for sure.
    Thats where I would probably go if I was looking for one I think.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The original NFA was for stuff under 18” for all long guns. It got amended in the 30s for .22 rimfire rifles to only be affected if under 16.” It got further amended with the 1968 GCA to bring the limit for centerfire rifles to 16” as well. The M1 Carbine barrel is nominally 17.75” and there were a lot that had already sold through the DCM without any NFA taxes collected. Rather than make everyone modify or amnesty register them, Congress changed the law.
    Yup!

It was a big "Wait just a minute here..." situation. The whole NFA is/was a big "just wait a minute" thing. As soon as pistols were deleted from the NFA(1934), SBRs should have also been deleted. As well as SBSs.

Last edited:

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Yup!

It was a big "Wait just a minute here..." situation. The whole NFA is/was a big "just wait a minute" thing. As soon as pistols were deleted from the NFA(1934), SBRs should have also been deleted. As well as SBSs.
    Absolutely. Makes no sense and is a waste of LE resources that could be put to better use.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    back to the OP; I had it in my head that the Fulton Armory M1 Carbines were around $2K. At $2,600, IDK. That's pushing it. A collectible C&R option starts to become attractive at that price.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    back to the OP; I had it in my head that the Fulton Armory M1 Carbines were around $2K. At $2,600, IDK. That's pushing it. A collectible C&R option starts to become attractive at that price.
    I’ve seen likely correct or substantially correct late WWII Inlands without import marks for as low as $1.1-1.3k recently.

There was a nice condition IBM sitting in a Underwood postwar rebuild marked stock imported by Davidson’s on a local forum for a long time at $1.3k asking.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    @Threeband clued me in on how to get my M1 more correct. Anyone local willing to sell me a spare oiler.
    Thanks
    Keep shooting has them for $8.95

You can get an oiler, sling, and magazine pouch for $29 here:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom