• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bensmiata

The Newbie
    Dec 23, 2009
    MD
    There aren't many reviews of them out there so I'll put my .02 in.

Got the gun yesterday and 2k rounds of 5.45. 6 ASC mags and 1 C-products mag. Stock front sight post and a rear sight straight off amazon.com.

Loaded up all the mags, got acquainted with the AR and made my way to the range. 270 rounds later I had quite the smile on my face. I've shot 5.56 AR's before and this is a pretty zippy round. Powerful in a very light platform. Only one failure to fire which was the rounds fault (check it out after I cleared it and it had a solid primer hit).

Overall I'm very satisfied, especially since it was $32 worth of ammo at .12 a round while 5.56 would've cost me easy 2.5 to 3 times that.

Cleaned and ready to shoot again, can't wait.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    What ammo are you shooting? My old 5.45 AR hated wolf. FTF after FTF. The rounds would lodge in the chamber and I would have to mortar the rifle to get them out. Now on the other hand, it loved the cheapest, dirtiest, most corrosive shit you could put through it. Only problem I had with it was having to clean it right as I was done.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Sounds like he's shooting milsurp.

I've always liked the concept of a 5.45 AR-15, but concerns about the effects of corrosive ammo on the gas tube scared me off from it.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    i have one (semi auto) and i love it.

my boss has a post sample gun.

both run wolf with no issues.

fun shooting when .223 was hard to find and expensive. never shot corrosive through ours. but it gives us the ability to take our ak74s and an AR with just one ammo.

Bensmiata

The Newbie
    Dec 23, 2009
    MD
    What ammo are you shooting? My old 5.45 AR hated wolf. FTF after FTF. The rounds would lodge in the chamber and I would have to mortar the rifle to get them out. Now on the other hand, it loved the cheapest, dirtiest, most corrosive shit you could put through it. Only problem I had with it was having to clean it right as I was done.

Yup cheapest surplus I can find. And I'm going to get a lot more of it. It's not bad cleaning it, same as I would do if it were .223. Clean the bolt, charging handle, chamber, gas tube, etc. Not tough and definitely worth the savings. Any gun over $100 is going to see a good cleaning when done (with the exception of my Glocks!).

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Yup cheapest surplus I can find. And I'm going to get a lot more of it. It's not bad cleaning it, same as I would do if it were .223. Clean the bolt, charging handle, chamber, gas tube, etc. Not tough and definitely worth the savings. Any gun over $100 is going to see a good cleaning when done (with the exception of my Glocks!).

Aren't ya glad now. :)

buzzzyy

Big Member
    Nov 6, 2007
    Aspen Hill
    hmmm.... i might just have to think about that one. I've been meaning to add something in that caliber to my arsenal, mainly because the ammo is so cheap. the surplus Russian poison round is devastating. I was thinkin maybe ak74 or a piston AR upper, but this might be a good option as well.

we should do some sort of 5.45 group buy....

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007

You do not need to clean the inside of the gas tube on an AR15. I'm not even sure you would have to clean it on the corrosive ammo. due to the fact its made from stainless steel, i mean, it can rust, but it wont rust as easy as the other steel parts in the AR, it also has thousands of PSI of pressure moving through it that will clean it out, also gas tubes are about 12.00, you should have spares on handy so even if one does rust up, you can replace it.

Bensmiata

The Newbie
    Dec 23, 2009
    MD
    You do not need to clean the inside of the gas tube on an AR15. I'm not even sure you would have to clean it on the corrosive ammo. due to the fact its made from stainless steel, i mean, it can rust, but it wont rust as easy as the other steel parts in the AR, it also has thousands of PSI of pressure moving through it that will clean it out, also gas tubes are about 12.00, you should have spares on handy so even if one does rust up, you can replace it.

Okay thanks for the information. I understand it but at the same time I want to take good care of it since it cost me ~900 bucks. It's my first AR so I'm still getting used to it but definitely like it.

Right now I'm looking at changing the grip, the stock and the flash hider. This isn't going to be a super tacticool tack it on AR for me. Just simple and reliable is all I want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom