• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • reportscore

Aug 16, 2023
    Cockeysville
    Hello everyone I live in Cockeysville and recently joined these forums looking for some advice. I am pretty interested in older style guns. I currently own a Henry Big Boy Lever Action in .357 Magnum and I own a Cimarron Single Action Army in .45 Colt. Pics of both attached.
    My main reason for joining is because I'm looking to start an AR Platform build, but I need some advice and help with that. I am looking to get as close to a 'retro' M16 as possible, that is legal in MD. This has become a much bigger challenge than I anticipated. Does anyone have experience with this style of build in MD?
    The actual Colt Retro M16A4 look is really want I'm going for, but the Colt version is banned. I have found some clones like I believe Aero Precision sells an M16A4 complete Lower, but their 20" M16A4 Upper/Barrel is not legal as its not a HBAR I believe. I can't quite tell if they are banned because they are clones of the OG M16's or if it's because they don't have HBARs.
    I joined to do some research and ask the community if they have any experience in a rifle this style of build, or if within MD if this is just out of reach for me to get.

Any advice is appreciated.
    Thank you!

Attachments

• gun1 (2).jpg
      gun1 (2).jpg
      308.2 KB · Views: 49
    • gun2 (2).jpg
      gun2 (2).jpg
      148.7 KB · Views: 48

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Welcome ! Good start with the Lever and the Revolver .

Took me a moment to wrap around an A4 being " Retro " , but it would certainly be easier to source than an A1 clone these days .

These issues is about HBAR .

How exact a clone are you seeking ?

At its most basic level , an A4 is an A2 with removable carry handle .

If trying to replicate late '90s USMC issue , then add Knights Armament rail system , ACOG , and VFG .

Aero Precision is currently offering A4 complete kits on sale . Correctly marked lowers , but alas with Government profile bbls . You could explore the economics of buying their complete Upper and doing bbl swap , vs getting the parts individually .

Have you shot or handled a 20 inch HBAR ? They are noticeably muzzle heavy . If you like that , Great ! If your primary parameter is visual , still great , the heavier bbl will be concealed by the handguards .

But theirs a reason 16 inch HBARs are predominant . In rough rule of thumb , a 16 inch HBAR will have more or less similar offhand balance to a 20 inch Government profile .

But that's why ARs are Tinker Toys for Grownups . Get an Aero A4 complete lower , and switch between the A4 visual clone upper , and a 16 inch .

reportscore

Aug 16, 2023
    Cockeysville
    Welcome ! Good start with the Lever and the Revolver .

Took me a moment to wrap around an A4 being " Retro " , but it would certainly be easier to source than an A1 clone these days .

These issues is about HBAR .

How exact a clone are you seeking ?

At its most basic level , an A4 is an A2 with removable carry handle .

If trying to replicate late '90s USMC issue , then add Knights Armament rail system , ACOG , and VFG .

Aero Precision is currently offering A4 complete kits on sale . Correctly marked lowers , but alas with Government profile bbls . You could explore the economics of buying their complete Upper and doing bbl swap , vs getting the parts individually .

Have you shot or handled a 20 inch HBAR ? They are noticeably muzzle heavy . If you like that , Great ! If your primary parameter is visual , still great , the heavier bbl will be concealed by the handguards .

But theirs a reason 16 inch HBARs are predominant . In rough rule of thumb , a 16 inch HBAR will have more or less similar offhand balance to a 20 inch Government profile .

But that's why ARs are Tinker Toys for Grownups . Get an Aero A4 complete lower , and switch between the A4 visual clone upper , and a 16 inch .
    Yeah idk if 'Retro' is the best term but trying to explain it to people in shops in real life was a little hard lol.
    Thanks for the info, I'll take a look around Aero and the A4 and see what they have.
    I have shot a 20" HBAR before but not over and over and over again so yeah the weight might be something I take into account when trying to get a build going. I am probably looking at this build mainly for the visual aspect of it, but I do shoot quite frequently so I'll certainly be using it a lot.

reportscore

Aug 16, 2023
    Cockeysville
    I just looked around for the Aero Precision Kits and came across a full Kit on Battlehawk Armory's site. I don't think I can link to them directly, I guess my question is am I even legally allowed to buy a Kit and receive the upper and then do the barrel swap myself?
    It's obviously not an HBAR included, but if you want to look its SKU: APAR501166-KIT, that's kinda what I'd be going for.

I don't know the legality of even getting this kit and then doing the barrel swap myself. Obviously I'd probably not get the mags in a kit like this, but would I even be able to receive the upper and barrel? Or would I need to buy a non complete upper and then buy a separate HBAR myself for the build?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The key is to transfer the Lower as an Other , to wit " reciever only " , not as a complete Rifle . A 77R and 7 day wait will be involved .

You can possess a Upper with a non HBAR , you just can't assemble it onto a non grandfathered semiauto lower . It could hypothetically be made into a single shot rifle , a pistol , or other legal project .

minux

Jun 19, 2023
    HoCo
    Hello everyone I live in Cockeysville and recently joined these forums looking for some advice. I am pretty interested in older style guns. I currently own a Henry Big Boy Lever Action in .357 Magnum and I own a Cimarron Single Action Army in .45 Colt. Pics of both attached.
    My main reason for joining is because I'm looking to start an AR Platform build, but I need some advice and help with that. I am looking to get as close to a 'retro' M16 as possible, that is legal in MD. This has become a much bigger challenge than I anticipated. Does anyone have experience with this style of build in MD?
    The actual Colt Retro M16A4 look is really want I'm going for, but the Colt version is banned. I have found some clones like I believe Aero Precision sells an M16A4 complete Lower, but their 20" M16A4 Upper/Barrel is not legal as its not a HBAR I believe. I can't quite tell if they are banned because they are clones of the OG M16's or if it's because they don't have HBARs.
    I joined to do some research and ask the community if they have any experience in a rifle this style of build, or if within MD if this is just out of reach for me to get.

Any advice is appreciated.
    Thank you!

I am way too inexperienced to give much advice, but wanted to say, I was in the same position, and finally joined, too. Welcome aboard. Great community.

reportscore

Aug 16, 2023
    Cockeysville
    The key is to transfer the Lower as an Other , to wit " reciever only " , not as a complete Rifle . A 77R and 7 day wait will be involved .

You can possess a Upper with a non HBAR , you just can't assemble it onto a non grandfathered semiauto lower . It could hypothetically be made into a single shot rifle , a pistol , or other legal project .
    Thanks for the help. Today I found a Bear Creek complete upper with a 20" HBAR. So I ordered that and I am ordered the Aero Precision lower and its being sent to my FFL. A little annoying I need to wait the 7 days and do the 77R for it, but hey I can't complain.
    Got everything ordered now its just a waiting game. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom