• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • netsurferdude2

Dec 25, 2008
    I have a new project gun...

Pictures:
    http://imgur.com/a/kZqeW

I haven't had too much time to do some research on the gun yet but plan on doing that soon. It was a family gun and the story is its from WWI.

Right now the gun has rusting all over and is missing a few parts. I'd like to find out what parts I need to get this "mechanically" functioning again. I don't know if I'll shoot it (I'll get to that later) but I would like it to have all the necessary parts.

Are there any luger experts out there who could lend a hand? I can get more pictures if you'd like.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    What you have there is know as an artillery Luger. It was issued to artillery crews as an early form of personal defense weapon. With the long barrel and a stock that could be attached, it was used like a carbine. If it's missing parts, it's collector value is seriously reduced. I'd start with cleaning up the rust before it gets any worse.

Jul 1, 2012
    Before you do ANYTHING to it, talk to an expert. The rust doesn't appear to be as bad as it looks at first blush and you could destroy whatever value is left by incorrectly cleaning it. There are a lot of ways to deal with the rust that will preserve the bluing... somebody here has probably got a great way to do it....

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Before you do ANYTHING to it, talk to an expert. The rust doesn't appear to be as bad as it looks at first blush and you could destroy whatever value is left by incorrectly cleaning it. There are a lot of ways to deal with the rust that will preserve the bluing... somebody here has probably got a great way to do it....

Yes, I should have clarified that in my post. Don't go at the rust without doing your homework first. I just meant that should be your first priority before worrying about get it functional.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    DO NOT let anyone convince you that you should take steel wool to it (even extra fine) to remove the rust. There are some folks here who are convinced that will not harm the bluing, but I can prove that it does. Talk with experts on that particular type of firearm before you do anything other than oiling it. It's a really nice piece!

(In general, when you have a piece with that sort of corrosion, it's far better to use a solvent and patience than anything that involves rubbing--even with a cloth. Different people favor different products, and most work fine, but soaking the metal in something like Kroil for a couple of days, then lightly wiping with a cotton cloth ... and repeat ... several times, if necessary ... will make a huge difference in how that looks. Remember: You can always go back and be more aggressive if you have to, but you can't undo damage done by being too aggressive.)

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    By all means you want to suspend any active rust for now (I use Brownells Rust Preventative #2 or Kroil). Arty Lugers, even non-matching examples, are popular and do command respectable prices. You don't want to jeopardize that being hasty.

netsurferdude2

Dec 25, 2008
    Thanks guys for the help. I am gonna contact the luger doc about the parts and look into a good way of clearing some of this rust.

I also have a WWI S&W 2nd Model Hand Ejector in .455 in similar condition. I will have to take some pictures of that. It was the standard issue Canadian pistol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom