• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    So I have a M&P 9 1.0. It does NOT have an optic cut, and I don't have the funds to purchase an optics cut slide. So I was going to purchase a plate adaptor that sits in the rear sight slot.
    That being said, does anyone actually co-witness and use their irons with MRDS installed? I am debating between different MRDS and the primary factor I am looking at for the moment is MRDS with built in sight notches to replace the rear sight.
    Folks with the MRDS, have you found this to be an issue? Or does it not matter?
    Specifically I'm looking at the CT RAD Micro ( Amazon product ASIN B08Q386V5J )

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have one on my carry(G48). Although I had my slide cut for that RDS, I did not add taller sights to the gun, so no co-witness. Even though my HD pistols and range toy pistols have co-witnessing sights, I never use them. I put the dot somewhere in the middle of the lens and shoot the dot. If you are going to co-witness with the dot, you are going to block out the entire bottom half of your target. If that target happens to be a human, you are only going to be able to see from their upper torso to the head. No arms or hands, unless they are raised. By then, it could be too late.

That's only my personal view. And BTW, mounting onto a dove-tail adapter, you will probably still have trouble finding sights tall enough to co-witness.

boatbiologist

Nov 6, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    My pistol red dots both cowitness. My Sig P226 has raised sights and a Romeo Zero, the P365 With an EPS Carry has regular height sights. I center the dot in the window. Only use sights when Romeo Zero battery dies, which has been twice at the range. Hoping to have better luck with the EPS.

I have an M&P9 gen 1 too and am interested how this turns out for you.

Attachments

• 20230209_165707.jpg
      20230209_165707.jpg
      142.3 KB · Views: 52
    • 20230209_165726.jpg
      20230209_165726.jpg
      99.6 KB · Views: 54

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    As for aim point, my intent was to treat it like i do irons when i change em out; i.e. put my laser bore sighter in and move the POA to the "POI" on a 25yd target.
    RE the height of front sight; I was thinking about that, and when I finally get one installed I'd prolly take the micrometer to check the height.

One of the key reasons for wanting to go RDS is the easier ability to track targets while keeping both eyes open.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    As for aim point, my intent was to treat it like i do irons when i change em out; i.e. put my laser bore sighter in and move the POA to the "POI" on a 25yd target.
    RE the height of front sight; I was thinking about that, and when I finally get one installed I'd prolly take the micrometer to check the height.

One of the key reasons for wanting to go RDS is the easier ability to track targets while keeping both eyes open.
    Look for a RDS with a fast dot regeneration speed. You want to see one solid dot when moving the gun, not a bunch of ......

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have literally never used co-witness on any of my pistols with red dot. Some of them have it, some of them don't, but as long as the dot is working, those irons are ignored.

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    I have literally never used co-witness on any of my pistols with red dot. Some of them have it, some of them don't, but as long as the dot is working, those irons are ignored.
    call me paranoid but i always expect electronics to fail

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    call me paranoid but i always expect electronics to fail
    Strictly speaking, what the OP asked was "does anyone actually co-witness and use their irons with MRDS installed?" That's not quite the same question as "should you always have BUIS on your pistol?".

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Strictly speaking, what the OP asked was "does anyone actually co-witness and use their irons with MRDS installed?" That's not quite the same question as "should you always have BUIS on your pistol?".
    Both of which I think I answered(for myself) in post #2. Of course, I expect more opinions(opinions are never wrong. they are opinions) so the OP can figure out which way he wants to go.

I decided on no back-up sights on my edc was because the gun is almost strictly defensive. That means, more than likely, the threat will be very close, close enough that my first shots may not even be aimed with the dot. Just point shot. That is part of my training. When I press my gun out and the dot isn't there, I will break the shot anyway and will pick the dot up thereafter. I'm talking inside 10 yards. It works for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom