• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • araugh

Laser Nerd
    Sep 2, 2008
    Laurel, MD
    It'll be my 4th rimfire rifle, I've already got a bolt, pump and a lever action so it's time to finally get a semi-auto and I enjoy the 10/22. This one though I'd like to build for playing around at 50-100 yards. Here's what I'm thinking now:

-Standard blued 10/22 donor rifle, nothing fancy
    -Hogue overmold stock with .92" barrel channel. I hate the look of the laminated stocks and love the feel of the hogue. I don't know if the weakness of the forearm though will be a problem if I'm shooting from a bipod.
    -Green mountain 20" .92 diameter bull barrel, stainless unfluted. The idea here is that it's a decent barrel that I won't feel bad about having threaded later on for a suppressor.
    -Harris 6-9" or 9-12" bipod, I'm not sure which is better for benchrest shooting.
    -I have a decent Nikon 4x scope to put on it from another rimfire rifle.

Looking for any words of wisdom folks may have on this, I'm starting simple and building it up over time. Should I go for a trigger upgrade off the bat or wait until I'm good enough to need it? Any recommendations? Thanks.

K Train

PARATROOPER
    Jul 25, 2008
    FREEEEEE AT LAST!!!
    one option is get yourself a 10/22-T. if you're going to be bench shooting look at a flat bottom stock and get a nice front rest and a nice rear bag. top it with a 3-9 scope and shoot it.

longshot1911

Jan 17, 2010
    I have already assembled the rifle you are describing. Accuracy can be as good as 1" at 100, but only if there is zero wind. At 50 yards, I can easily stack 5 shots in a 1/2" square paster in fair conditions. The limitations in accuracy will be due to ammo. If I might make a recommendation, I like Wolf match extra. At $4 a box, it shoots just as well as Lapua, RWS, and Eley in my rifle, and much better than the standard domestics.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I just put a scope on a standard 10/22 and it shoots 50 to 100 yards just fine out of the box.

This. The 597 scope combe shoots a little better stock than the 10/22, but its accurate enough to be fun and boring at 75-100.

ammo and practice.

JG sales has a clerk bull barrel/ hogue stock combo for around $130.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    This. The 597 scope combe shoots a little better stock than the 10/22, but its accurate enough to be fun and boring at 75-100.

ammo and practice.

JG sales has a clerk bull barrel/ hogue stock combo for around $130.
    My 12 year old daughter loves shooting at clay pidgins at the 50, 75, and 100 yard berms around the targets. I'll walk over the the skeet range and pick up unbroken pidgins for free and 'recycle' them at the rifle range. The 10/22 is one of my favorite rifles. It is great guilt free practice for kids of all ages (including me).

soup101

Mar 4, 2009
    Fantasy Island
    What type of accuracy are you looking for?

I have the same rifle as you are looking to build with additions of VQ trigger group and Leupold Mark II 6-18 and it will shoot 1 MOA groups at 100yrds provided its not super windy and I do my part with Wolf Match ammo.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    It'll be my 4th rimfire rifle, I've already got a bolt, pump and a lever action so it's time to finally get a semi-auto and I enjoy the 10/22. This one though I'd like to build for playing around at 50-100 yards. Here's what I'm thinking now:

-Standard blued 10/22 donor rifle, nothing fancy
    -Hogue overmold stock with .92" barrel channel. I hate the look of the laminated stocks and love the feel of the hogue. I don't know if the weakness of the forearm though will be a problem if I'm shooting from a bipod.
    -Green mountain 20" .92 diameter bull barrel, stainless unfluted. The idea here is that it's a decent barrel that I won't feel bad about having threaded later on for a suppressor.
    -Harris 6-9" or 9-12" bipod, I'm not sure which is better for benchrest shooting.
    -I have a decent Nikon 4x scope to put on it from another rimfire rifle.

Looking for any words of wisdom folks may have on this, I'm starting simple and building it up over time. Should I go for a trigger upgrade off the bat or wait until I'm good enough to need it? Any recommendations? Thanks.

You've just described my 10/22 to the letter. The barrel I'm using is a Green Mountain. I use a 6-9 bipod and am able to group an inch at 100yds on a windless day with Remington ELEY Match EPS ammo.

I'm using the stock trigger and can't see myself doing that much better with a Volq., but I have had my eye on one. (Every little bit helps, I just can't bring myself to buy a trigger that costs more than the gun.)

You've done some good research:thumbsup: You'll be pleased.

upgraded%201022.JPG

Get as high powered of a scope as you can afford. At that short distance, adjustable parallax is a must. In this picture I have a 6-24x42 mounted. It really pulls the target right into your face. Aim small, miss sm.....you know the saying. At the higher settings you will definitely see how much you're shaking/moving. Especially when you pull the trigger.

Last edited:
    Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    I did some work on my 10/22 trigger this past weekend. It's so easy a caveman could do it. (Hey I did). Go to Rimfire central. They have a section for 10/22's and how to's on recievers. It was well worth the few hours tinkering at the bench. Not sure if I reduced trigger pull much as I have no way to measure it, but it really is much smoother. I also radiused the bolt and did a bit of filing on the firing pin too. I could tell the difference overall. Cost was nill since I already owned all the tools and polishes.

araugh

Laser Nerd
    Sep 2, 2008
    Laurel, MD
    What type of accuracy are you looking for?

I have the same rifle as you are looking to build with additions of VQ trigger group and Leupold Mark II 6-18 and it will shoot 1 MOA groups at 100yrds provided its not super windy and I do my part with Wolf Match ammo.

Capable of inside 1 1/2" at 100 yards, no wind. Probably far more capable than I am to be honest.

araugh

Laser Nerd
    Sep 2, 2008
    Laurel, MD
    You've just described my 10/22 to the letter. The barrel I'm using is a Green Mountain. I use a 6-9 bipod and am able to group an inch at 100yds on a windless day with Remington ELEY Match EPS ammo.

I'm using the stock trigger and can't see myself doing that much better with a Volq., but I have had my eye on one. (Every little bit helps, I just can't bring myself to buy a trigger that costs more than the gun.)

You've done some good research:thumbsup: You'll be pleased.

upgraded%201022.JPG

Get as high powered of a scope as you can afford. At that short distance, adjustable parallax is a must. In this picture I have a 6-24x42 mounted. It really pulls the target right into your face. Aim small, miss sm.....you know the saying. At the higher settings you will definately see how much you're shaking/moving. Especially when you pull the trigger.

PERFECT, thanks. I appreciate the picture, that's a damn fine lookin shooter.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I have already assembled the rifle you are describing. Accuracy can be as good as 1" at 100, but only if there is zero wind. At 50 yards, I can easily stack 5 shots in a 1/2" square paster in fair conditions. The limitations in accuracy will be due to ammo. If I might make a recommendation, I like Wolf match extra. At $4 a box, it shoots just as well as Lapua, RWS, and Eley in my rifle, and much better than the standard domestics.

where are you getting Wolf Match Extra at $4.00 per box?

Karl/PA

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Chambersburg
    Almost like mine. I have a bit over $600 in this one. Boyds/Volquartsen stock, Green Mountain barrel, all innards Volquartsen and BSA 50/8-24 Mildot usually shooting wide open at 24 power. Only part original is the receiver. Mine does best with Wolf Match. Doesn't really like anything else.

110-22005.jpg

110-22003.jpg

longshot1911

Jan 17, 2010
    Sorry, the Wolf match Target was $4 a box, the Extra was $5.85...

Unless I buy a case of 5000, which drops the price to $3.80 and $5.50 a box.

celzey

Sep 26, 2009
    Easton
    Look into a Jard trigger from Brownell's. I got the 2 1/2 lb trigger and I just ordered the replacement spring for a whopping 5 dollars that will take it to 1 lb. I have been extremely pleased with this drop in trigger and like it alot more thatn my buddies volksquarten trigger. I got an awesome stock from Stockeysstocks.com This combo using Wolf match ammo will give 50 yard groups less than dime size. Good luck and have fun

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    If you are looking for a precision 10/22, forget the Hogue stock.
    It is known to be sketchy at best for true precision.

For a true precision 10/22 stock, look at a Zimmerman Arms monolithic stock.
    http://www.zimmermanarms.com/

A wood or synthetic Ruger stock will shoot better than a Hogue.
    This one posted to the 13mm game on RFC... twice.

DSCN0006.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom