• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    We regularly work with a local gunsmith to help our customers customize their firearms. From laser engraving to Duracoat and Hydro dipping. We have decided that we need to have a gun in the shop that shows off his work.

Earlier today we transferred a semi-auto 12ga shotgun to him for customization. He asked us what we wanted done, but saying make it your own to showcase your work didn't work for him. He wants us to tell him how we want it.

Sooooo........ I'm looking for ideas that will showcase his incredible skills in this area. Please send me suggestions.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Maybe hydro dip the barrel in a popular pattern. Duracoat the receiver and mag tube in a corresponding solid color with engraving on the receiver. Then customers can see what both coatings look/feel like.

Not sure about the stock and forend. If wood and it's in decent shape maybe just engraving on the stock instead of the receiver.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Cerakote the barrel

Some sort of digital camo, tasteful of course.

A little engraving on the action, maybe touch of silver or gold inlay to match a silver or gold engraved trigger..

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Cerakote the barrel

Some sort of digital camo, tasteful of course.

A little engraving on the action, maybe touch of silver or gold inlay to match a silver or gold engraved trigger..

He doesn't do Cerakote. He does Duracoat. Duracoat is an epoxy based product. It is very durable and easier to repair when it does get damaged.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Can he remove Cerakote or is there a way to cover Cerakote? I acquired a rifle that has an interesting Cerakote job on it. I'd like to make it black again. Is there a good method for doing that? Maybe your buddy could do that?

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Can he remove Cerakote or is there a way to cover Cerakote? I acquired a rifle that has an interesting Cerakote job on it. I'd like to make it black again. Is there a good method for doing that? Maybe your buddy could do that?
    Yes he can but it takes a considerable amount of work.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Who is it in your customer base that wants customization? Experienced folks or first time buyers? I would ask them what would entice them to spring for customization and go from there. Either way, I don't think I would make the firearm too busy with various coatings. I would focus on the engraving and maybe have some "scraps" showcasing the coatings.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    We have made our decision on how our 1st custom gun will be done. Stay tuned for the big reveal. It is sure to make some laugh and others cry.....

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    IMG_20220825_191956.jpg

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Umm ok. Who are you marketing too? The butt plug bolt knob takes it up a notch or 10. The fat chick bending the stripper pole is a nice touch as well. Maybe a strip club owner would be into this?
    It was a joke. They said the sample gun would make some laugh and some cry, so I figured this would be in that same line.

That's a guys PRS rifle. I don't have any knowledge of why he did it that way. I just saw th3 photos and laughed like a maniac.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    It was a joke. They said the sample gun would make some laugh and some cry, so I figured this would be in that same line.

That's a guys PRS rifle. I don't have any knowledge of why he did it that way. I just saw th3 photos and laughed like a maniac.
    Yeah I thought it was funny.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia

That is funny. A little over the top for us at the moment but funny none the less.

The furniture hydro dip has been completed......A name (to be engraved on the receivers left side) has been chosen.

Attachments

• 20240206_202503.jpg
      20240206_202503.jpg
      438.3 KB · Views: 57

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    There is a subtle brown in the hydro dip pattern. We have matched it to a DuraCoat color and will treat the receiver, barrel and magazine tube to match. The engraved name will then be color filled in a red matching the roosters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom