• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    Got idea in my head this morning to take the wife on a guided UTV tour on some trails somewhere. this is so out of her wheelhouse but I think she might agree to it, especially if I can find a winery in the area to visit at the end of the day :)

if anyone can recommend any place that includes rentals and tours I would be most appreciative. I googled and found a place down by Hatfield McCoy which might work. Also several down around Gatlinburg. I only have ATV, so looking to rent SxS for us to use. I have had disappointing experience just using google to pick something before, so I much prefer personal recommendations...

thanks for any ideas. Haven't mentioned this to her yet, so not sure this will come to fruition but wanna give it a shot, she needs some adventure.

Oledirteh

MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2011
    Union Bridge md
    What would you like to know? Im part of a few youtube channels (TheBeatenTrail, Slawdogs, sometimes can am crew) as a guide and or content provider. im pretty certain any and all questions you have i can answer.

Areas local to maryland are places like

- Moutain ridge
    - Famous reading outdoors
    - Mines and meadows
    - AOAA

Hatfield there are dozens of places that rent UTV's of all types, there are tour guides or you can load maps on a tablet that have built in gps and guide yourself around.
    Trail systems are hatfield are

-bearwallow
    - devilsance
    -cabwaylingo
    - pocohantas
    - pinnacle
    - rockhouse
    - warrior
    - buffalo

then there are the outlaw trails.

then you have Tennessee which has wind rock, Tackett, ride royal blue.
    then you have Carolina adventure world in north or south carolina. durhamtown in georgia. then there's even stuff in New York and Ohio.

best bet for utv rentals will be down at Hatfield. but you're looking for a expensive weekend. most average 350-450 a day.

Oledirteh

MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2011
    Union Bridge md
    I've heard the mine tour is cool. Don't know anything about it.

its short, but ive done it a few times. its neat. you meet up by camp grounds, about 15 minute ride on private line to the mine. then you go into the middle and park and shut down the rigs and lights and the old man tells you a story about the mine and out you go. 5$ for the tour.

ive enjoyed it each time ive done it.

this was earlier this year. i havnt put together any video from labor day yet

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    If you are looking to do Hatfield, Vince Mud Man Rodgers does tours. I think Blue and Gold does tours as well and has cabins you can stay in.

Both are on FB if you do that and Mud Man is on YouTube. You could google Blue and Gold tours to find them also.

Oledirteh

MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2011
    Union Bridge md
    If you are looking to do Hatfield, Vince Mud Man Rodgers does tours. I think Blue and Gold does tours as well and has cabins you can stay in.

Both are on FB if you do that and Mud Man is on YouTube. You could google Blue and Gold tours to find them also.

yea mud man stays up at blue and gold most of the time. good dude. and of all the places ive stayed Brandon at blue and gold is one of the nicest dudes you'll ever work with. he has a gas station and food available down the hill. and just opened up rv parking with full hookups this year. its also good access to pocohantas / warrior systems as well.

trailblazer outfitters in belfry/Williamson is great as well. thats local to bear wallow and you can make it to Willmore, devilsance, ect.

ivybranch is a great spot too. if you are adventurous the outlaws across from big earls is awesome. i rolled my rig and broke my driveshaft and 3 axles last trip there. it's pretty tough :)

of all the places ive been, Hatfield is just top for me. 700ish miles of trails not including outlaws. im heading down in October which i think is my 5th time this year.

Oledirteh

MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2011
    Union Bridge md
    i didnt include this in my list, but if you have anything under 50 inch's wide Michaux State Forest is by far a great weekend place to visit. 10$ a day to camp and ride for out of state people. i live over between westminister and frederick and it takes me less then an hour to get there and its primitive camping unless you have a toyhauler/camper. i did it recently on a atv and was a great day of riding. i want to go back as soon as i get my grizzly up and going or get my new outlander im eyeing up.

Oledirteh

MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2011
    Union Bridge md

thats kinda cool!

if your out that way there is also a newer place called wolfs den. good for 2/4 wheel applications

I havnt made it down there yet, but i will very much like to get there late this year, or early next year.

Also another place to check out if you have something to ride on your own would be Gore VA, big dogs offroad, also known as the cove. they have a gun range, a lake you can fish and swim in, bathhouses, camping, and trail riding. i used to go there in my rock buggies and have been there in my can am x3, however it was really really rocky and out of alot of peoples comfort zone and it beat my rig up pretty good.

Oledirteh

MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2011
    Union Bridge md
    on the 4th we will have our latest mines and meadows video. keep an eye out if that place is of interest. its a fun place for sure.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I liked Hatfield but once done with the trails there are plenty of trails and shortcuts that are not "trails". 10 day stays three years in a row. loved it.

Oledirteh

MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2011
    Union Bridge md
    I liked Hatfield but once done with the trails there are plenty of trails and shortcuts that are not "trails". 10 day stays three years in a row. loved it.
    the amount of outlaws there is amazing. im headed down in a few weeks for my birthday to explore the Kentucky side of the outlaws and northeast through bearwallow and devilsance. Beer can alley is still one of my fav's. Ivy branch outlaws are phenomenal as well. broke my machine every day i was there.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Got idea in my head this morning to take the wife on a guided UTV tour on some trails somewhere. this is so out of her wheelhouse but I think she might agree to it, especially if I can find a winery in the area to visit at the end of the day :)

if anyone can recommend any place that includes rentals and tours I would be most appreciative. I googled and found a place down by Hatfield McCoy which might work. Also several down around Gatlinburg. I only have ATV, so looking to rent SxS for us to use. I have had disappointing experience just using google to pick something before, so I much prefer personal recommendations...

thanks for any ideas. Haven't mentioned this to her yet, so not sure this will come to fruition but wanna give it a shot, she needs some adventure.
    Wish I had seen this thread earlier, I have a group of 11 headed to Hatfield McCoy tomorrow for a long weekend.

HM is the riding Mecca of the east coast, hands down the best. You don't need a guide for the HM trails, they are all marked like a ski slop (green - easiest, blue - more difficult, etc...) and you are given a map when you purchase your trail permit.

We stay at Ashland Resort which is a fantastic facility. They have tent camping sites if that's your thing, cabins without bathrooms (near the toilet and shower facilities) or various size full service cabins with one or more full bathrooms. And RV parking with hookups.

They also rent SXSs at their company store location a mile down the road.

One of the Indian Ridge trailheads is right at their driveway and it's easy access to Pocahontas and Pinnacle Creek without trailering.

We love it and I'm completely stoked for this weekend.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    Wish I had seen this thread earlier, I have a group of 11 headed to Hatfield McCoy tomorrow for a long weekend.

HM is the riding Mecca of the east coast, hands down the best. You don't need a guide for the HM trails, they are all marked like a ski slop (green - easiest, blue - more difficult, etc...) and you are given a map when you purchase your trail permit.

We stay at Ashland Resort which is a fantastic facility. They have tent camping sites if that's your thing, cabins without bathrooms (near the toilet and shower facilities) or various size full service cabins with one or more full bathrooms. And RV parking with hookups.

One of the Indian Ridge trailheads is right at their driveway and it's easy access to Pocahontas and Pinnacle Creek without trailering.

sounds like an awesome weekend, have a great time ! ! ! !

thanks very much for the info

Oledirteh

MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2011
    Union Bridge md

Check out life time maps. its exspensive and will work a tablet. Only problem with the maps is well, they are paper :) life time maps, or running BOBT it will show where you are on the maps and also show available outlaw trails which are not on paper maps.

Have fun down there! Im headed down on the 25th for my annual birthday run.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Check out life time maps. its exspensive and will work a tablet. Only problem with the maps is well, they are paper :) life time maps, or running BOBT it will show where you are on the maps and also show available outlaw trails which are not on paper maps.

Have fun down there! Im headed down on the 25th for my annual birthday run.
    I run a tablet with a map program that I picked up from Wild Willy's a few years ago, works great. Can't remember off the top of my head what the program is, I'll have to take a picture when we load up here in a bit.

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    in august i spent two days at wolf den and one day at mountain ridge with my dad and son. we had a great time at both. there is no need for a guide at either place. the trails are marked really good. i also used an app called maprika which has the trail maps for many of the offroad parks around here. mines and meadows or rock run are probably the next places for us. with my son being 12 years old, some places wont let him drive his atv since the recommended operator age is 16.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom