Looking for entry level "long range" rifle.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Erik Cortina uses and sells them. He seems to do well enough behind the rifle.

I got mine from Harrell's precision, it's a break/tuner. I like them. One in 1/2X28 and one in 5/8X24.

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I had a basic 700 stripped down to the action and rebuilt by Walt Frear. It's all custom at this point with a Krieger barrel. 700 action is ok and the rifle overall drives tacks. Its a 338 though. If I did another 338 it would be a full build with a better action for sure. I like the 700's overall though.

One I'm looking at is the Aero Solus. Looks like a decent rifle in 308. I'm trying to watch more reviews on them, but may be another option to throw into the mix.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I got mine from Harrell's precision, it's a break/tuner. I like them. One in 1/2X28 and one in 5/8X24.

Doc Harren likes the Harrell's.

I don't use them but have messed with them on guns for other people. In a .22 they are definitely a good idea because you can't practically handload for that. One issue I have observed is that the "tune" can change with conditions (particularly temp) and you need to record tuner settings in various condition sets. This is less common when you have a load that shoots without the tuner......at least in my limited experience. I also have learned not to push a bullet that performs poorly in a particular barrel. It may improve but that seems to always result in twitchy crap happening unexpectedly (uncalled flyers, etc).

I've worked up a lot of loads in various rounds and I have settled on certain habits for certain chamberings. Example: I no longer jump any bullet in my 6br chambers. Heavy jam (.020 depending on bullet) is where I start. The vertical shift across a ladder of charge weights has come down considerably since adopting this practice and it has proven to work across three barrels now. Another example: I jump 22-250ai projectiles at least .030 and usually .050+. I get higher velocities before hitting pressure signs and the extreme performance of the round is the reason I have it.

No hard and.fast rules on tuning but there are definitely some trends.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    600 yards prone today with new Krieger in 6.5 cm.
    20230709_100104.jpg

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Nice score. What rifle are you shooting in this match?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Its a tika T3 action, new kreiger, March 10-60 scope, Elesio chasis in 6.5 Creedmoor. Load is 43.0 grains of h4350 with a 140 grain berger seated to 2.925"

Prone off the sling. CMP midrange and Long Range rifle.

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    :innocent0

36A083E9-495C-4C7C-A0DA-011A16AAB604.jpeg

Thanks for the help, 4g64loser

Funny thing is, I just realized I don't have a case or rifle bag long enough to fit it so I guess I'm going shopping tomorrow again.

Last edited:

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland

View attachment 422318

Funny thing is, I just realized I don't have a case or rifle bag long enough to fit it so I guess I'm going shopping tomorrow again.
    Electric bass case. Works great.

The Midway foldable mat/case is a good solution as well. I have one and it's great for belly matches (prone shooting). Don't buy a black mat; get tan, green, or some mid tone camo. If the friction material is black, buy the tan truck bed liner in a spray can and hose the black areas. Minimizes the discomfort.

You barreled it, I just hung out with the pup. I want to see that baby shoot.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie

View attachment 422318

Nice rifle! I see what appears to be a Bighorn Origin action in a KRG Bravo chassis. What barrel did you put on it?

It’s gonna be a shooter - can’t wait to read about what scope you put on it and what your first range report is.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I bought one of the Harbor Freight Apache cases and they are pretty decent for on the cheaper side. It's not a Pelican, but it does the job.
    These work fine. Most people aren't going to be testing the weatherproof capabilities of their cases. If your lifestyle requires you to do that, buy pelican or skb. If not, a hard case is a hard case.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I was looking at those but it might be a tight fit.
    I just measured my rifle - tip to tip I'm right around 46". This case has an advertised interior length of 50 and 3/8, so mine should fit, but I don't know how long of a barrel you bought, and I don't know the length of your muzzle device.

I'm looking at that case pretty closely now because I've been using a Cabela's brand soft bag for it since I put this one together - it gets the job done, but it's not the most protective case I could have it in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom