• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 13, 2013
    Carroll County
    Perhaps some day, I can show you how to use a fly rod!

Speaking of fly rods. I bought a cheapo microlight awhile back. I was practicing casting out in the yard this morning. Came in and set it down by the sofa and made lunch. My wife decide to vaccuum, and sucked up the tippet, leader,line and rod to the stripping guide(last guide on the rod). :sad20:

Gonna get a new on this week.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Just get you a boat so you can do this. ;)
    Thats me btw.

Yes, fishing from a boat does usually yield larger fish, and sometimes something that can actually feed a family for dinner once or twice. That doesn't mean that a person cannot have a great time fishing from the banks of a stream or what not. Here's a couple that I caught on a boat. There are a lot more pictures, but that would take a lot more time.

Fishing and hunting can be fun no matter what level of gear you have. It is all about your mindset and who you are out doing it with. The best moments for me were when I took a 5 year old out and he caught his first ever fish and when I took my dad out for rockfish and his eyes went wide when I reeled in a trophy rockfish. The next rod that got hit, my dad ran to it. He had never been much into fishing because we rarely caught anything. After that trip, it was on.

Attachments

• MdShooters9.JPG
      MdShooters9.JPG
      44.5 KB · Views: 162
    • MdShooters34.JPG
      MdShooters34.JPG
      31.8 KB · Views: 162
    • MdShooters35.JPG
      MdShooters35.JPG
      12.5 KB · Views: 165
    • MdShooters36.jpg
      MdShooters36.jpg
      55.6 KB · Views: 161

Mike H

Jan 9, 2013
    Fabsroman:
    "A buddy of mine has a boat on a river in Riva, so we are going to start fishing the end of this month."

Where is your buddy's boat?? Our community marina is on Beard's creek - just around the corner from Mike's Crabhouse. Riva is so tiny your friend can't be too far. I just started dewinterizing the boat and marina last week. Mike H

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Nice! whats the weight on them?
    Do you keep them or catch and release? The couple bass Ive kept were :puke: lol so now I just catch and release.

I don't remember the size, looks like 3s or 4s. I have so many pics from 20+ years of club fishing I can't remember them. My biggest so far is a 7.72 caught on the Susky in a club tnx.
    I don't eat them either, it's all catch and release for me except with strippers, Crappie and Snake Head.

tdt91

Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Hey Fabs, I know you don't need a boat to go fishing, we all started out without one. I just wanted to show and tell a little. :D

tdt91

Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Here's a stringer of 5 that went 18 lbs from a couple years ago.

Attachments

• 599932_328300763911399_2110802731_n.jpg
      599932_328300763911399_2110802731_n.jpg
      110.1 KB · Views: 138

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Fabsroman:
    "A buddy of mine has a boat on a river in Riva, so we are going to start fishing the end of this month."

Where is your buddy's boat?? Our community marina is on Beard's creek - just around the corner from Mike's Crabhouse. Riva is so tiny your friend can't be too far. I just started dewinterizing the boat and marina last week. Mike H

Hell, it might be the same community he is in. He is on Shrewsbury Lane and he docks his boat at his community marina that is on Beard's Creek. They were out doing work at the marina the other week. Said he was helping to nail down new deckboards for the marina.

He bought his place 6 months after we bought his, and he was debating between being one street over from me on 5 acres or being right by the water. His wife and kids wanted the water, but they didn't have to twist his arm very much. I wouldn't mind being on the water, but space from my neighbors takes precedence.

Mike H

Jan 9, 2013
    Your friend is one community over from me in Annapolis Landing. I'm next door in Berkshire and about 2 blocks from Shrewsbury Lane. When you are in the area give me a shout - I owe you a beer for the reminder about the MSBA fastcase legal research tool. It has been useful as I try to figure out what I want to do in retirement.

Also, in an effort to get this thread back on track -- I pretty much suck at fishing, but later when the water warms up and everything from croaker to rock and perch are in the river and nearby in the bay I'd be happy to take you and/or the OP out for a few hours to see what we can catch.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    dang that is a big stringer full of shit sandwiches there
    :lol2::lol2: Bass are fun to catch and get a pic of...other than that no thanks. I wish they had striped bass up here.
    Yeah, you have to be pretty hungry to eat bass, other than striped bass. Kind of like eating a groundhog. Going to need lots and lots of spice.

lol Glad Im not the only one that doesnt like the taste of large mouth bass.

bunnielab

May 17, 2007
    I have this weekend off and my gf will be at her mothers, so it is time to fish.

I am heading to Beverly Beach Park tomorrow morning and am going to stay there most of the day I hope. I have been back a few times and caught a few more small white perch but I am hoping for something bigger. A couple of times I have seen, out of the corner of my eye, something very large breaking surface like 20-30' off shore. I talked to an older dude who was fishing in the surf and he said he thinks there might be a few large carp in the lake.

I bought some bloodworms, which look like something out of a sci-fi movie. I have been practicing casting in the yard and am getting better distance with lighter lures but still cant cast to the side well at all, which limits where at the lake I can fish.

Have any of you guys been there? It is an odd little park and it seems like other then a few easy to access spots, most of the lake isnt fished that much.

willy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 13, 2013
    Carroll County
    Never been there. Spent the day a Piney Run it sucked. Picked a bunch of lures out of the bushes. People thought I was crazy walking into the freezing water. I got a rooster tail, 2 trout magnets, 3 crappie jigs, a real nice weighted balsa bobber, trout magnet float, bunch of split shot, and a big frog bass plug, All were in excellent condition. Always fish in sandals.

I saw a bunch of carp jumping yesterday. Might be their time to lay eggs. Saw maybe 50 in schools just lazing around in the cove. Wish I had a bow set up. Try some corn or dog food on them. They swam right by worms, and wax worms. Only chance I have is snagging them

bunnielab

May 17, 2007
    ivk9gYwl.png

Finally caught some reasonably sized ones.

Went back to Beverly Beach this morning, but this time I had a thing of bloodworms. I got there about 8am and at first I was casting close to shore, maybe 15-20' out with a cut-in-third worm on like a and about 2' of line under a small floater. As soon as the bait hit water I was getting nibbles. It was insane, if I didnt hook one right away it seemed like a pile of fish would just rip the worm to bits. Pretty much every cast with a fresh worm got me a fish and I even managed to catch three on the same ratty ass worm. They werre all pretty small but I had a blast.

By like 10ish things started slowing down and I took one of my few remaining worms and re-rigged to fish the bottom as far out as I could cast. I managed, using a 3/4oz sinker, to cast out like 30-40' and as soon as I took tension on the line I got the fish in the picture. I caught a few more about that size but once the worms ran out I couldnt get a nibble.

I seemed to really struggle to get the hook set. I read that circle hooks just require steady tension but I found it really hard to get it right. Esp when I was fishing near the surface at first, it seemed like something would drag the floater down as soon as it hit water almost every time I cast but I could rarely seem to get anything hooked. Is there a trick I am missing?

I also went and looked around Wooten's Landing, which is right by my house. It looks like there is a canoe put in but nothing on the signs about fishing, anyone know anything about it?

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    When that happens I usually down-size my hooks a bit. The bait is being "tossed around" in the water by the school of fish and they basically tear at it like you described. A smaller hook will usually remedy that. If a fish can get the whole thing in it's mouth and run with it, they will..

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    different fish you have to hook different. Sometimes with bass you have to let them take the bait and see the line move then set the hook. sometimes a quick jerk will yield a catch when they are nibbling but you want at least a good indication of a bite before trying to set the hook.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Bunnielab, if you want to really get on those perch we use kayaks and launch and get into them back creeks. People don't target the creek as boaters want larger fish and shore fisherman can't get in their due to the private land all over AA county.

Once they come up in the water water you can look for lay down at low tide and fish them on high tide, ect. Using a Beetle spin, inline spinner, small spinnerbait or other type of minnow intimation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom