• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • carbonDRED

Dec 14, 2008
    Baltimore
    I'm looking for a "range" that's friendly to people with more advanced skills. I was in the military for 9 years, and picked up a lot of training, but these skills are perishable. I'm looking for a place (even a private piece of land) that I can practice multi-target engagements, drawing from a holster, shoot/move/communicate drills, and working rifle/pistol transitions. If there is a piece of land that would be available, I would even be willing to set-up/tear down/police brass every shooting day.

I understand safety and take it VERY seriously. I'm not looking to build a militia, or start becoming some kind of prepper, but I am looking for something more advanced than bench rest.

I love shooting, and I especially love the fact that you can create challenging drills for yourself. It's become a real source of frustration that I haven't been able to stretch my shooting legs as much as I'd like.

carbonDRED

Dec 14, 2008
    Baltimore
    Also, if this is a repeat post, I apologize. Searching yielded WAY too many results, and I didn't know how to do one without being too exclusive.

carbonDRED

Dec 14, 2008
    Baltimore
    That's what I'm afraid of. Are there no even plots of land? I know it's a stretch to just let random people onto your property, but most of us aren't creepers. I'm also not afraid of going to PA or DE if that's where the property is.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You can also try the various competitions. Allow you to practice your skills, with the added pressure of competitions.

You don't have a location set, so NO idea where you are located.

I am a member at SLCFSA in PA. They have 10 - 11 bays where you can practice from holster, multi target, etc. I have to check, but I think the old ones (2 - 3 of them allow rifle and shotgun also. The new ones are posted pistol only, but rimfire may be OK.

On the longer range, rifle ranges, you can do multi target, if it is not busy, but it must be at the known distances where there are berms (25-50-100 on one range or 25-50-100-200-300 on the other).

pjd832

Jul 26, 2012
    I'm looking for a "range" that's friendly to people with more advanced skills. I was in the military for 9 years, and picked up a lot of training, but these skills are perishable. I'm looking for a place (even a private piece of land) that I can practice multi-target engagements, drawing from a holster, shoot/move/communicate drills, and working rifle/pistol transitions. If there is a piece of land that would be available, I would even be willing to set-up/tear down/police brass every shooting day.

I understand safety and take it VERY seriously. I'm not looking to build a militia, or start becoming some kind of prepper, but I am looking for something more advanced than bench rest.

I love shooting, and I especially love the fact that you can create challenging drills for yourself. It's become a real source of frustration that I haven't been able to stretch my shooting legs as much as I'd like.

If your not starting a militia who are you communicating with during your communicative drills?:innocent0....lol just busting balls ...if you find a public place to do this I'd be interested as well ....the skill set the govt provided me has been fading as well...lol what ya don't use you lose!

Rumnhammer

Mar 2, 2013
    tacticool

Probably the closest I can think of is Peacemaker in WV. They have 600 yd range and I believe a 1k yard range. Also have the type of multiple engagement set ups you are talking about, because they do 3 gun matches there.

carbonDRED

Dec 14, 2008
    Baltimore

Thanks jimbob! Sounds promising! I sent them an email to see if they're what I'm looking for. If they are, maybe we can set a meet-up with a bunch of shooters.

If your not starting a militia who are you communicating with during your communicative drills?:innocent0....lol just busting balls ...if you find a public place to do this I'd be interested as well ....the skill set the govt provided me has been fading as well...lol what ya don't use you lose!

I'm communicating with my Zombie Response Team members. I thought that would be obvious pjd. Some people...:D If 340 doesn't work out, I might start the hunt for a lease on a private piece of land.

carbonDRED

Dec 14, 2008
    Baltimore
    Probably the closest I can think of is Peacemaker in WV. They have 600 yd range and I believe a 1k yard range. Also have the type of multiple engagement set ups you are talking about, because they do 3 gun matches there.

Look like a good facility, but they're about another 30 mins away for me (2 hrs as opposed to 1.5) than 340.

Always pass by this place n my way to the beach. Worth a call to see about their facilities.

https://www.cqd.net

I'm looking at CQD now. I've passed them a few times too. They look pricey to say the least. And I'm thinking they're more for training than a range. I'd LOVE to take some classes, but I'm really just looking for a PLACE to do my own thing/practice what I learn in those classes.

carbonDRED

Dec 14, 2008
    Baltimore
    I think a plot of land back out of the way is the best bet. If anyone knows of anything on that front, I'm always open to pm's (Yes, I'm begging. Who's got pride here? Not this guy anymore...)

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The only other place I can think of is a place deep inside one of the national forests on the western edge of Virginia. Setting up your own place would involve buying steel and targets and target holders putting them up and pulling them down. I've been involved in a 3-gun set up and tear down, it's a good 2 hours on either sides with 8 guys and a golf cart.

carbonDRED

Dec 14, 2008
    Baltimore
    The only other place I can think of is a place deep inside one of the national forests on the western edge of Virginia. Setting up your own place would involve buying steel and targets and target holders putting them up and pulling them down. I've been involved in a 3-gun set up and tear down, it's a good 2 hours on either sides with 8 guys and a golf cart.

Really not wanting to set up a 3 gun course or anything. Really it would be a few targets in front of a backstop of some kind, or wide open space. I would only need 5-6 target holders, and maybe some steels if I'm feeling crazy.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    Talk to Ken, who is an elected staff member over at AGC at Marriottsville. He runs pistol draw drills along with his emotional voice commands, over at the pistol range. Also...he might be receptive to the rest of your proposals, which has to be taken-up and voted by the AGC Rules Committee.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You will find more of this in the context of specific classes , and specific matches, than for freelance individual practice.

Or contact a Realator , and then you can invite some of us to your playground.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    Closest you are going to get to that in MD is an airsoft setup in your living room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom