• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    Planning on going on a backpacking/hunting trip in a few weeks and want to pick something up to hunt Squirrels and maybe a wabbit or two if I see one sitting still.... It'll be cooked over a campfire on the trail... I don't have any lightweight semi auto rifle in .22lr except for a youth model and have a good excuse to pick one up... I own a few bolt guns but they have match barrels and are by no means lightweight.

I'm looking for accuracy, lightweight and economical (less than 300 bucks)... I know the obvious choice is a 10/22 but I'm not real familiar with them and don't know which model would fit the bill best.

Any opinions/recomendations would be great, and also tell my why you like what you recommend not just throw a name/model out there...

O and since I won't have a lot of time, if you have found some ammo that shoots really well in said gun, please fill me in on that also.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Really....10/22 is you're best choice since you can accessorize with stocks and bull barrells and HiCap Mags. If you don't care to much about accessories, Mossberg 702 makes an economic accurate SA @ $150

Bob

Mar 30, 2009
    You need a Savage Mark II F! Very accurate right out of the box and very inexpensive. You'll love the accutrigger.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Marlin Model 60. More of these .22s have been sold than any other. Just not all the aftermarket stuff out there for them

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    Really....10/22 is you're best choice since you can accessorize with stocks and bull barrells and HiCap Mags. If you don't care to much about accessories, Mossberg 702 makes an economic accurate SA @ $150
    I'm not real concerend about accesories, I'll either throw a nice peep sight on it or an inexpensive fixed power scope... I'll have a look at the 702.... :thumbsup:

If you don't want a 10/22, maybe a Henry lever gun? I like the Marlin 39a lever gun, but they are pretty pricey for schlepping around in the woods.

How about this?

http://www.henryrepeating.com/h002_survival.cfm
    I'd love to have a lever gun and will one day but not for this one I don't think... And I don't think those survival rifles are very well known for their accuracy but they are very handy and light. Not to mention they look like a plain stock when packed up instead of a gun, and they float!! lol But I will have to give that lever gun a serious look down the road. Thanks.

You need a Savage Mark II F! Very accurate right out of the box and very inexpensive. You'll love the accutrigger.
    Sounds like an option even though it's a bolt gun, i'll look into it. Thanks... Have any idea what shoots well out of it that's hollow point?

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    THe 10/22 is nearly impossible to beat here. It's lightweight, runs most ammo well and is minute of squirrel accurate out of the box. For a really nice round, I have found that most CCI ammo is very accurate and reliable in that carbine. I have had some FTF/FTE with bulk ammo, particularly when combined with cheap hi-cap mags. Use CCI's with factory mags and you'll be set.

soup101

Mar 4, 2009
    Fantasy Island
    I have to agree the 10/22 would fit you needs very well.

I bought a 10/22 carbine and out of the box it was very accurate. Very light weight as well. CCI mini mags should serve you well.

Diesel Kinevel

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    If you want compact and lightweight, try the Junior Model of the Henry lever action .22 LR. It was my first gun when I was 12. I still shoot it regularly and it is a tack driver.

-Z

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    So after reading this the consensus is towards the 10/22. It comes in many models from stripped at just under $200 to all out for target shooting.
    What would be the recommended model for this situation?

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Not to continue to steal the thread, but I just looked on Ruger's website...the base 10/22 now has an MSRP of $277. Its gone up if I'm not mistaken.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Not to continue to steal the thread, but I just looked on Ruger's website...the base 10/22 now has an MSRP of $277. Its gone up if I'm not mistaken.

I'd think you'll still get them for $225 in stores.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    if you're looking for something you're gunna pull out of the box and leave alone get a marlin 60 or 795. i got mine new for $100. If it gets screwed up, banged or dented you wont be crying. it's very very lightweight and very reliable. the downside is that it doesnt have much aftermarket stuff to build it up. if you're just shooting it as is though i like it out of the box better than a 10/22 for more money.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=26959

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom