• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    I've been going back and forth between getting a 10/22 or a Marlin 795 after a friend recommended I look into them. He has a Marlin 60 but I don't want another tube fed gun. Dick's was having a sale on the Marlin 795 last week so at $120 (There is a $20 mail in rebate so it will eventually cost me $100 but it cost me $120 out of pocket.) which was an offer I couldn't pass up so I went up the Waldorf and bought one.

I was very impressed with the gun's accuracy. Here's some pics of the gun and some pics of my targets.

main.php

main.php

main.php

All of these targets were at 25 yards. I was aiming at the left circles on all of these targets but it was hitting the right one. I didn't bring a hammer to tap the sight so I'll have to take one with me next time. Once I figured out it was shooting to the right I tried to do some adjusting by aiming at different points which made it hard to get a consistent aim point and threw my accuracy off. Best group of the day was the first target, top circle where I fired off two full mags of 20 rounds.

main.php

main.php

main.php

I think with a scope or a set of tech peep sights this thing will do even better.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    All in black looks sweet!

It's easy to shoot when it cost next to nothing. (Especially since it's that or .357 for me).

I was surprised you didn't have a scope on it with those groups. I'm betting you had a bench, though.

I have pre-mid 80's Marlin 60 and dropping 17 cartridges down the tube is pain-free on my thumb. Thinking of getting a second one for my girlfriend and beat-up one for parts.

Another bet is you'll go with a hi-cap mag in the future and some kind of mag loader...yes?

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Oh, I didn't mean to imply that I knew they had hi-cap mags, just that it might have been in your plans if they did...(I'm as green or greener than you).

That picatinny would look sharp on the top.

Did a brief search and I think 10 rounds mags is your limit.

Got your next gun purchase picked out yet?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    finally got to the range

1205091222.jpg

1205091121.jpg

1205091249.jpg

1205091154.jpg
    welp, finally got to the range today. when i saw snow out the window i shook off my holiday party hangover, threw on the boots and the jeans and headed out the door. The roads were a little slushy, but not really that bad...enough to chase off the punks though(and by punks i mean people generally concerned with their own safety). hap was just about completely empty when i got there.

I tossed some targets out at 25, 50 and 100 and went to it. i was using good ol winchester hv. i loaded up the first mag, took off the scope covers and shot at the 25 yder to zero. The first shot went bang and then....click. oh crap, i hope this isn't why the gun was 100 bucks. i manually cycled the bolt and then BANG.....click. again it didn't cycle enough to feed the next cartridge. after manually cycling it again....bang....bang....bang,bang(oops, sorry hap)...bang. checked out group. about .5" group low 7", right 2.

i sighted in at 25, then zero'd at 50. i shot up the 3 targets i had out there. after dumping about 100 rounds downrange without a hiccup i checked the work. each target had a ragged ~ 1.5" hole in the middle.

okay, welp, lets see how it shoots at 100(turns out about 7.5" low). the picture above is a 10-shot 100 yard group of me aiming for the bull to see what kind've drop to expect. For a 100 yd group with .22lr i'm pretty impressed with this $100 gun. The trigger was a little gritty dry-firing(with caps) so i polished some stuff up inside and it felt darnright okay. it's still got some breaking in to do and is a bit heavy, but i can take it for 100 bucks.

overall i'm extremely pleased with this gun. after the first two shots, it functioned flawlessly and put up better groups than i thought i'd get with it. i can't wait to take this little SOB to the woods walk at delta next shoot. maybe a rimfire rifle double-tap then pistol double-tap challenge for any interested. :thumbsup:

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Very nice I have always been hugely impressed with Marlin accuracy, my Pappose runs about the same (little better but I have a cheap scope on it) as well as my 60.

May even pick-up another 60 (tube mag is fine by me) if I can find one of those sweet laminate ones.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Very nice I have always been hugely impressed with Marlin accuracy, my Pappose runs about the same (little better but I have a cheap scope on it) as well as my 60.

May even pick-up another 60 (tube mag is fine by me) if I can find one of those sweet laminate ones.

make no mistake, that is a cheap scope. it's a red head i got off the shelf in the plastic wrap for $30 when i bought the rifle(40% discount..woot woot). the eye relief sucks on the thing and you basically need to be right on the thing to see right(why it's pulled back so far). it's good for practice though. Marlins seem to be some pretty kickass little guns.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    update

I took the 795 out for the second time ever today. It was fairly calm at Hap with very little wind. I put about 100 shots of regular win HV through the marlin and then loaded up a mag of wolf match to sight it in at 100 yds this time. after she was sighted in with a ragged hole in the target i moved over to the blank one next to it. For any wondering if this rifle shoots okay for a $100 rifle....YES. The group below is a 100 yd grouping using wolf match ammo that 3rdrcn gave me at the last delta shoot (thanks t!). The trigger has already smoothed out and lightened up a ton and almost feels downright nice. After the shot breaks there's still a considerable amount of overtravel and a springy "sproing" noise, but it's much nicer than last time i shot it. 1" group at 100 yds with a bone-stock 795. i'm impressed.

795 100 yds wolf match.jpg

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    Very impressive!! I just picked up a model 60... Did you do anything to the trigger? If so what, and if not how long did it take to smooth out and lighten up? Mine is a bit stiff, I was thinking about some lapping compound when I take it out for the first time to speed up the process...

I also picked up a Nikon ProStaff 2-7x32 to stick on it but am waiting on rings... I did some shopping and went with these http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=40988/sku/1__Medium__Matte because I heard about a lot of problems with the rings slipping and these have extra screws at the base. Not to mention they're made in the US. :thumbsup:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Very impressive!! I just picked up a model 60... Did you do anything to the trigger? If so what, and if not how long did it take to smooth out and lighten up? Mine is a bit stiff, I was thinking about some lapping compound when I take it out for the first time to speed up the process...

I also picked up a Nikon ProStaff 2-7x32 to stick on it but am waiting on rings... I did some shopping and went with these http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=40988/sku/1__Medium__Matte because I heard about a lot of problems with the rings slipping and these have extra screws at the base. Not to mention they're made in the US. :thumbsup:

ater dry-firing a couple times i took the trigger group out and noticed the transfer bar(duno what it's called...but the upper half of the lever the trigger makes that pushes against the bent sheetmetal mechanism to release the hammer) had some of it's coating scraped mostly off. it seemed like this coating was creating a good deal of grittiness. also where the bent sheet metal part it meets up with inside was...it was meeting the transfer bar at a very sharp corner and it was pretty rough. i pulled out a fine sharpening stone and took my time to sand the coating off of both parts and smooth them out...then the extra fine stone...then some polish on a leather belt on a table. after both were mirror smooth i baked in some militec, then wiped them clean and militec grease'd emm. seemed to make a big difference right away.

i didn't bother taking the whole rest of it apart because i was just too tired at the time to go fiddling around with springs and slides and whatever else to smooth things that would just smooth out anyway in a couple hundred shots. I've put probably a total of 250 shots through it so far and the stuff inside i haven't touched seem to be getting better each time i shoot. like i said though, still has overtravel and sproing noise. course, clandestine's shop can do a $80 trigger job to make it sweeeeet if you'd rather just have the pro's take care of the trigger for you.

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    Thanks. I haven't fired mine but did notice the coating you were talking about on a few parts. I took it off the inside of the receiver and lubed it to smooth out the action. That part looked like nothing more than overspray.. I was also thinking of cleaning up the trigger group. I'll get into that today and put some lapping compound in there for when I take it out the first time, then clean it up & lube it afterwards and see where that gets me. Not sure I want to invest in a trigger job.

I pretty stoked after seeing your results, impressive for a budget gun. Hope mine does similar.

Jeremiyah

Sep 20, 2010
    Marlin 795

I just found out that the Marlin 795, is a preferred gun by some Appleseed instructors over the Ruger 10-22. Either gun is great, lots more options and accessories for the Ruger. http://appleseedinfo.org/
    My son, Isaac, said that the Ruger is the "AR" of 22s -lots of options, more expensive, and the Marlin is the "SKS", cheaper with maybe, fewer options.
    The difference? Ruger is 220 to 250, and it needs some work to make it really usable for Appleseed. The Marlin is 149 bucks at Bass Pro, we hear, sometimes on sale for $99.
    I do not know yet about modifications, needed.
    My oldest son custom designed a Sling which works both ways; hasty or loop with a buckle QD to take the loop sling off the arm quickly between shooting times.
    Ian qualified twice Saturday, shooting a 225, and a 221, out of 250 possible, and so began as an instructor on Sunday; very cool.

For BOTH guns you can get military style peep sights for front and back, with adjustable windage and elevation. These increase accuracy immensely, giving almost 30 to 40% longer sight radius, and improving the target sight picture as well. Tech Sights
    http://www.tech-sights.com/

"With the Tech-Sights Marlin Model 60 aperture sights I feel like I am shooting a whole new rifle. With these sights I can see and hit small targets at the distances I knew my Marlin was capable of reaching. Shooting offhand at 25 yards I have progressed from 6-8” groups to 1” groups. The difference is like putting on your first pair of glasses and realizing once again that trees have individual leaves.

M.B. Nashville, TN"

"About a year or so ago I purchased my first set of Tech-Sights for my Ruger 10/22. The installation is a breeze and the quality of the hardware is first class. I get together with my shooting buddies on the weekends and we compete against each other for bragging rights. When I showed up with my 10/22 without the scope they thought there was no way I was going to be able to compete with them at a 100 yard setup. Needless to say I proved them wrong! All 4 of them had scopes on their rifles and shot for shot not one of them could match the accuracy with my Tech-Sight setup. No more trash talking about me and my open sights!"

One very Happy Customer,
    Jay in Fuquay-Varina, NC

"I didn't have much time because the deer was running, but I was able to shoot quickly because the sight makes it easy to find your target. I think peep sights are way better than scopes, especially when the target is moving."

Erik N., New Richmond, Wisconsin

Just so you know, Tech Sights makes them for the following guns, which tells you these guns are good models for this kind of shooting. I will list them in order of overall preference for Appleseed;

Ruger 10/22 Sights

Mossberg 702 Sights

Marlin 795 Sights

CZ 452 Sights (BOLT action)

.30 caliber;

SKS Sights

AK Sights

Jerry

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads