• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • prmorin

Mar 14, 2010
    I wanted to see if anyone had a recommendation for a local black smith. I am thinking about commissioning a custom utility sheath knife as a graduation present for myself in the spring. I would love to find someone that works with reclaimed carbon steel. Appreciate any thoughts

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If you specifically are looking for a forged blade , you need a * Bladesmith * . If you are open to a custom knife made by stock removal ( ie using files , grinders , etc on piece of bar stock ) you are seeking a * Knife Maker * ..

In the modern era Blacksmiths primarily make art objects , and ornamental ironwork. As opposed to Farriers who fit horseshoes, and otherwise trim and provide hoof care .

prmorin

Mar 14, 2010
    If you specifically are looking for a forged blade , you need a * Bladesmith * . If you are open to a custom knife made by stock removal ( ie using files , grinders , etc on piece of bar stock ) you are seeking a * Knife Maker * ..

In the modern era Blacksmiths primarily make art objects , and ornamental ironwork. As opposed to Farriers who fit horseshoes, and otherwise trim and provide hoof care .

Thanks for the clarification, cant say I had really thought that about that. I am looking for a Bladesmith to forge a piece of high carbon steel. Thanks

Feb 1, 2012
    Frostburg
    If you ever come to Western MD, check out Ed Small. His work is beautiul...everything from period pieces for reinactors to practical. You can get his contact info from the Allegany Arts Council. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom