• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    SNI. You will defiantly need a sling. It is used for all of the shooting positions. You will need a GI sling for it and they are hard to find at most gun shops. You can buy them on the apple seed website or from tech sights website if you are planning on running one of there sights. If you have 25 round mags I would leave them at home they will get in the way when shooting prone. Try to have 3 10 rounders for each shooter.
    If you have a 10 22 do the bolt release mod it will save a lot of headaches!

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Brad
    What part of Calvert are you in?
    I have a few of the targets they use for the Appleseed shoot and I can show you how to set up your sling if you want. I did the shoot in marriotsville 2 weeks ago. It's a great class and a super good deal for the level of instruction that you receive.

Appreciate the offer, Mdeng has been helping me prep for things - it's been 'interesting' at times, but fun. My big issue is getting used to effectively using the sling, it's becoming more natural with each trip out.

Good to see you getting into the "peewee" leagues Brad :)

Can't wait to hear what you settle on with the trigger...

Is a sling required for Appleseed??? Am taking the September session with my daughter at AGC and don't have slings on either 10/22...

From what Mdeng told me, it is definitely advantageous since it helps steady you. Prone with a sling, noticeable difference with it - for me anyways.

Trigger wise, haven't made a decision yet. I'll probably try a target hammer first and see what that gets me. If that isn't satisfactory, I'll probably do the Kidd trigger kit.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The standing portion should be fun also, I noticed the rifle was actually too light for me in stock form - which had the muzzle bouncing around some. The extra weight of the bull barrel and the stock should be beneficial for me.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    My wife played hell with the stock bolt release all weekend long. All of those will be lessened learned for the next Appleseed we do.
    I'm in lusby if you ever want to go shooting some time! I don't have a lot of cool play toys but I still like to shoot.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    My wife played hell with the stock bolt release all weekend long. All of those will be lessened learned for the next Appleseed we do.
    I'm in lusby if you ever want to go shooting some time! I don't have a lot of cool play toys but I still like to shoot.

I do most of my shooting at a friends house in huntingtown we built a 100 yard range in his yard

I'm not too far up 4 from you. It's not about the quantity of available toys, but the quality of them. ;)

Not bad at all, had a 85 yard range setup, but I wound up wearing out my welcome with the neighbors... :o

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Barrel definitely has potential! This was the best 5 shot group at Appleseed distance (25 yards) today.

View attachment 120780

Definitely seems to prefer lead-nose over copper-plate though, which doesn't surprise me hugely - KSA is using the micro-groove on their barrels.

Scope got swapped out for a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire (4x fixed), the cheap chicom I was using earlier started wandering around, as you can see from the above photo.

Last edited:

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Barrel definitely has potential! This was the best 5 shot group at Appleseed distance (25 yards) today.

View attachment 120780

Definitely seems to prefer lead-nose over copper-plate though, which doesn't surprise me hugely - KSA is using the micro-groove on their barrels.

Scope got swapped out for a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire (4x fixed), the cheap chicom I was using earlier started wandering around, as you can see from the above photo.

What position were you shooting from?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Thank you.

The rifle can do better, the shooter is letting it down right now.

Really need to find more ammo. The practice sessions are good for getting me into the swing of things, but it's definitely taking a toll on my stocks. I didn't realize my supply was as low as it was.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Just scored 975 rounds of Federal Auto Match, 40gr LRN.

That should help some. :)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Finally bit the bullet and picked up a Volquartsen target hammer and got that swapped into the group this morning.

Holy hell, what a significant improvement over stock.

Still has some pre-travel and over-travel - which I'm ok with for now. The pull weight has been decreased dramatically and the feel is much crisper/cleaner than it was. It's lighter than my Geissele SD-3G in one of my AR's.

Best $40 I've spent.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    Finally bit the bullet and picked up a Volquartsen target hammer and got that swapped into the group this morning.

Holy hell, what a significant improvement over stock.

Still has some pre-travel and over-travel - which I'm ok with for now. The pull weight has been decreased dramatically and the feel is much crisper/cleaner than it was. It's lighter than my Geissele SD-3G in one of my AR's.

Best $40 I've spent.

Did you do any additional polishing to the trigger group? Did this come with a slave pin to reassemble the trigger or did you have to find one else where. If you had to get one separately what size was it and where did you get it.

Thank you

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Could have done some re-profiling/polishing of the hammer strut's rounded end that rests in the back of the hammer itself, but it'll likely get done after this weekend.

New hammer did indeed come with a slave pin for re-assembly.

If I find the right size tap, the trigger will get drilled/tapped for an over-travel stop.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    wow that was a fast reply!! I am probably going to go to the gun show today and this was on my list of possible buy. I think the wife would be pleasantly surprised if she had a upgraded trigger on her 10/22. After your post on how nice the trigger is I will pick one up at the show if anyone has them in stock.
    Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom