• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    That being said, for the specific situation of a restaurant, they can ask someone to leave for any (non protected) reason. I went to a coffee shop in VA this past week and they had photography policy posted on the door and inside the bathroom doors. It was basically 'no pictures of our staff or you will be asked to leave. If you are a content creator, the store is available for rent for your shoots.' (I bet there is a story to that).
    In that case, if police was called, the a cop telling someone to show ID would be a lawful order. But it would be to process a trespass complaint, not to 'stop someone from filming'. The difference between a private business issue vs. one of 1st amendment rights.

Understood.
    Of course in the video it was simply a case of a butthurt police officer telling him to provide ID which he had no business doing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    In that case, if police was called, the a cop telling someone to show ID would be a lawful order. But it would be to process a trespass complaint, not to 'stop someone from filming'. The difference between a private business issue vs. one of 1st amendment rights.
    Please cite the law that says I have to present id for a trespass order.

Being trespassed is not a crime, no crime, no ID.

Trespassing after warning now that is a different story

Nobody

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    I wonder how people feel about cops filming them?
    As far as I know thats what they're doing when they stop or make contact with someone if they have body cameras.
    You are being filmed in every .gov building you go into and probably up to.

The LEO in most cases of auditors are protecting the same .gov they are part of

Nobody

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    You can watch thousands of these videos and everyone, without fail, when the question posed to the officer "is suspicious a misdemeanor or a felony" are always met with stone silence.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Please cite the law that says I have to present id for a trespass order.

Being trespassed is not a crime, no crime, no ID.

Trespassing after warning now that is a different story

Nobody

If the manager of an establishment tells you to leave and you leave, yes no crime was committed.

If the manager of an establishment tells you to leave, however you refuse to do so and he calls the police, the responding officer is now investigating you for allegedly having committed a specific offense. Regardless of whether you get charged or not (usually you don't), acting on a specific complaint, his request for you to identify yourself would be lawful.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    I wonder how people feel about cops filming them?
    As far as I know thats what they're doing when they stop or make contact with someone if they have body cameras.

The police body worn cameras have brought a tremendous amount of transparency to what police do. The cameras have opened the publics eyes and the judiciary's eyes to what police actually do and how they interact with the public.

I don't have a problem with the police being required to have cameras rolling when they interact with the public.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    The police body worn cameras have brought a tremendous amount of transparency to what police do. The cameras have opened the publics eyes and the judiciary's eyes to what police actually do and how they interact with the public.

I don't have a problem with the police being required to have cameras rolling when they interact with the public.

For every instance of a body cam showing officer misconduct, it documents 10 instances of an officer going out of his way to help someone who is having a bad day and 20 instances of private citizens being complete jackasses.

The cameras are a net positive. Now we need the next step where command staff grows a pair and disciplines officers who are on camera violating policy and reflecting poorly on their agency.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    What we really need, to to harass every single cop that still works. Make the rest of them quit or retire... and well have nothing to worry about. Then you can handle a trespass, murder, rape, stolem vehicle, or what have you...all by yourself. So many of you know everything about law enforcement. Good plan.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    What we really need, to to harass every single cop that still works. Make the rest of them quit or retire... and well have nothing to worry about. Then you can handle a trespass, murder, rape, stolem vehicle, or what have you...all by yourself. So many of you know everything about law enforcement. Good plan.

So insisting that cops adhere to the law and their agency policies is harassment. Got it.

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    In your car or on your property or even in a public place is not a government building.
    I take it your ok with them filming?
    I think it's kind of creepy.
    On my property, my rules

In public , who cares

The .gov films you in public especially around .gov buildings

Freedom is scary

Nobody

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    So many of you know everything about law enforcement. Good plan.

These videos are evidence that way too many LEO either don’t know, or simply don’t care, about lawful conduct, especially relating to established constitutional rights. THAT is a major problem, in regards to the individual officers, and their command. These audits have been going on for years now, to not be knowledgeable about how to handle them is a systematic failure. And shows that yes, they are still needed.

Ignorance is no excuse, that works both ways. How many cameras, both in public and in private buildings, are recording the average citizen in a day? I’d bet that number is shocking.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland

Usually in every video of a bad cop in action there is one or more other cops standing behind them just watching rather than providing immediate consultation or correction.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    If the manager of an establishment tells you to leave and you leave, yes no crime was committed.

If the manager of an establishment tells you to leave, however you refuse to do so and he calls the police, the responding officer is now investigating you for allegedly having committed a specific offense. Regardless of whether you get charged or not (usually you don't), acting on a specific complaint, his request for you to identify yourself would be lawful.
    Identifying yourself and providing ID are two entirely different things.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!

Me either too much for a problem but someone I know who writes a lot of tickets loves it becuase then he can show how stupid people are when he goes to court.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    How are the different, please be specific many of us are curious to read your answer.
    The only requirement in Maryland law is to provide:
    Drivers license for traffic violation.

Everything else can be verbal, as there is no requirement for your average joe/sally to have an ID, especially on their person when not driving.

Amish come to mind as a group who does not allow their picture to be taken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom