• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nodak Kid

Jun 30, 2013
    USA
    It may not be cheap, but it might be OP's best option.

It seems as you may be right, other than at the end of the day, I still have a issue with leaving my stuff behind with someone that I don't know, very well. It comes down to trust, which takes me some years to build. I will try to connivance my coworkers to meet at Hap Baker.

I appreciate all of the great feedback.

ground chuck

Rookie Jedi
    Sep 28, 2013
    Charm City County
    I have a similar situation where I live close to the range and tried to get a co-worker to stop at the the range after work. He doesn't want to leave it in the car bc even though its locked its 100% secure. I'd call and try to drop it off before work if I was you.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Can you drop the stuff off at a co-workers house who lives close to work and the range?

Nodak Kid

Jun 30, 2013
    USA
    Can you drop the stuff off at a co-workers house who lives close to work and the range?

Sounds like a good idea, other than this guy is former special forces and he may not be so willing to give me my stuff back. I may have to leg wrestle him in order to claim my stuff.:innocent0

Dave T

It's sort of like what to wear or not to wear on casual Friday... If you have to question it, you probably shouldn't. Just rent at the range and have piece of mind. Plus, that way, over time you get to try out a larger variety of pistols.

Nodak Kid

Jun 30, 2013
    USA
    I had this situation occur and I chose to be safe and just rent at the range.

I really don't like the idea of renting.I would prefer to shoot my own. Moving forward I may consider being a bit more flexible, as it relates to renting. From what I've been told, renting from certain ranges they expect to buy their ammo, as well? What was your experience?

Dave T

I really don't like the idea of renting.I would prefer to shoot my own. Moving forward I may consider being a bit more flexible, as it relates to renting. From what I've been told, renting from certain ranges they expect to buy their ammo, as well? What was your experience?

My understanding is that most ranges won't let you shoot re-loads in their pistols. They don't want their gun blowing up if one of the re-loads has double powder in it due to poor quality control. Understandable on their part.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    I agree with most of the previous advice, ranging from gut feeling to workplace policy. Addmittedly, I don't need to worry as much about this because I shoot mostly at home. When I transport, I'm on my way from a purchase or to a sale (MDC), or traveling to a hunting destination.

However, I have friends who transport to work, shoot during lunch or after work, then transport home. I don't have an issue with this practice. They're not violating the law, as I understand it, although there is the risk of LE interpretation in the event of a robbery or traffic stop. There is the risk that that some scumbag will break into their vehicle and steal their firearms or even steal the vehicle outright. A similar, if less probable, risk exists that their homes will be robbed while they're away at work. Depending on how they secure their firearms, they could be adjudicated culpable in these cases as well. Not sure whether they're facing greater risk in either case, depending on the environment where they live versus where they park.

I'd be very interested in the opinions of our MDS LEOs on this topic ....

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I thought a DC gave you some flexiblity. Didn't think you had to be going to an exhibit. Thought you could just be going to see another collector or gun owner to be making a deal. I wish to hell someone would educate cops on something as serious as this, vehicle transport. Why the hell should everything be up be left up to some dick head's interpretation. Of course, try as they might, they can't even educate some of these morons that filming them is legal, no mater how many law suits they have lost. I truly have a lot of LEO friends and they are on our side. On the other hand it seems you don't have to pass an intelligence test to become an LEO judging by some of the morons with a badge. So some ignorant ass hat can ruin someone's life because they are too F***ing stupid to know the laws. They give the rest a bad name.
    To OP, I'd certainly be concerned with safety of company garage.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I thought a DC gave you some flexiblity....

DC Status has absolutely nothing to do with transport.

The transport law mentions a "Bona Fide Collector", but does not define it.

You don't need DC Status to be a Bona Fide = "Good Faith" Collector, and having the DC paper does not make you Bona Fide/Genuine/Good Faith.

If you claim to be a "Genuine Collector acting in Good Faith travelling to an Exhibition" (which is what everyone is talking about), then you have to make that claim in criminal court before the judge. The burden of proof is on you.

DC Status is not the same as the undefined "Bona Fide Collector". It is not a Get Out of Jail Free card.

If you are on trial, and that is your claim, I think it will be obvious to everyone that you are NOT a Genuine Collector,that you are NOT acting in Good Faith, and you are NOT going to an exhibit. It will be obvious that you are Trying to Get Away With Something (wink wink nudge nudge). It will be obvious that you are trying to Game the System.

Look, if you're going to the range, just tell the nice policeman you're going to the range.

People think it does, but it does not.

Anyway, someone is confusing "Maryland Collector Status", which is nothing more than an exemption from the "one handgun a month" rule, with the Federal Curio & Relic FFL.

Any claim to being a "bona fide" collector better be more defensible in court. Having a piece of paper does not make you a "Good Faith Collector", nor does not having a paper mean you are not a genuine collector transporting to a genuine exhibition.

Any such claim has to be defended in court. It is not a get out of jail free card.

If you are arrested for illegal transport, and your only defense is "I am a Good Faith Collector acting in Good Faith to exhibit my collection at the gun range." then I think it will be obvious you are NOT acting in Good Faith , but are rather making a lame attempt to game the system.

However, if you say, "I am legally transporting to informal target practice at the range", then I think you will have a good, valid defense. Maryland does not require you to travel directly to the range, and while I agree you don't want to have to defend yourself in court, I think you'd be better off honestly claiming to be a Bona Fide target shooter transporting in Good Faith to the range, (with a brief nine hour stop at your place of employment), rather than trying to claim you are some sort of "collector", obviously acting in Bad Faith to game the system.

Someone posted recently they had their pistol stolen from their car at work under these exact circumstances. The police said nothing about indirect transport or a nine hour stop on the way. They were acting in Good Faith, within the strict letter of the law, taking their pistol to the range. The police didn't even hint that they had broken any law. Of course, the pistol did get stolen...

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

The company that I worked for had a strict no firearms / immediate termination policy...

However, I frequently went shooting on my way home from work...

So I kept my guns unloaded / magazines empty & legally locked in my truck & completely out of sight...

I NEVER EVER mentioned anything to my co-workers about when or where I was going shooting...

Consequently NO one from the company ever asked to look in my vehicle...

Had they asked to look in my truck, I would have insisted they tell me exactly why I was being singled out & exactly what they were looking for...

Did someone steal something etc..?

If I didn't get a convincing answer, I would have simply declined to let them search my vehicle...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'll throw in some additional dimentions for consideration , centering on your co-workers.

Are these Anti's you are trying to convert , or virgins you are introducing to shooting ? Then you are serving the larger cause , and it calls for you to go out of your way to make their experience pleasant and painless.

Are your cooerkers already gun people , and y'all just looking to have fun at the range ? Different story. They can go where it is at least semi-convient for you , or you can shoot w/o them. ( Unless you have some ulterior motive to work for your benefit.)

Plan B is you bring extra ammo , and shoot their guns.

Plan C involves getting over your irrational fear of rental guns.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And I agree with one of Threeband's major points - That "Bona Fide" collector does not presumptivly equate with either possesing DCL or C&R FFL . What DOES it mean ? Nobody really knows until it comes up in a Trial , and Case Law is created.

And before anybody brings it up , we'ed be better off leaving in the air than asking for AG Opinion in advance.

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Sgt Preston here...

The company that I worked for had a strict no firearms / immediate termination policy...

However, I frequently went shooting on my way home from work...

So I kept my guns unloaded / magazines empty & legally locked in my truck & completely out of sight...

I NEVER EVER mentioned anything to my co-workers about when or where I was going shooting...

Consequently NO one from the company ever asked to look in my vehicle...

Had they asked to look in my truck, I would have insisted they tell me exactly why I was being singled out & exactly what they were looking for...

Did someone steal something etc..?

If I didn't get a convincing answer, I would have simply declined to let them search my vehicle...

:lol: I can't exactly put my finger on why it's hilarious, but it is...

What DOES it mean ? Nobody really knows until it comes up in a Trial , and Case Law is created.

And before anybody brings it up , we'ed be better off leaving in the air than asking for AG Opinion in advance.

I was going to ask that. But just like HBAR some questions are best left unanswered.

Nodak Kid

Jun 30, 2013
    USA
    I'll throw in some additional dimentions for consideration , centering on your co-workers.

Are these Anti's you are trying to convert , or virgins you are introducing to shooting ? Then you are serving the larger cause , and it calls for you to go out of your way to make their experience pleasant and painless.

Are your cooerkers already gun people , and y'all just looking to have fun at the range ? Different story. They can go where it is at least semi-convient for you , or you can shoot w/o them. ( Unless you have some ulterior motive to work for your benefit.)

Plan B is you bring extra ammo , and shoot their guns.

Plan C involves getting over your irrational fear of rental guns.

Not worried about the co-workers, as they are on the "right" side.

Plan B: may be a option, other than it gets a bit boring waiting your turn.

Plan C: From a economical stand point, I would prefer to use my own.

For whatever its worth, we'll be meeting directly at the range over the weekend. Everybody is happy.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Have any of you ever heard of a case where an otherwise legal firearm owner was charged with transporting an unloaded firearm to somewhere other than a range? In 16 years as a LEO I have never heard anyone including our gun squad ask if someone was going to or coming from a range. I definitely haven't seen and don't know everything which is why I ask.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    you guys are getting battered by the shitwinds. Its your gun, your car, and your life. do as you please and stay out of trouble, dont be a sheep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom