• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nodak Kid

Jun 30, 2013
    USA
    A Few of my coworkers mentioned, the idea of getting together after work and going to the range. This range is very close to the office, but its approximately 40 miles from my house. Meaning, I would have to drive 40 miles home, pick up my stuff and 40 miles back to the range. Driving is not fun for me. Upon explaining this point to my coworkers, their response was to bring my stuff in the morning, and keep it locked in my car and at the end of the work day we would drive to the range. I further explained, I did not feel this would be a good idea from a legal point to include I would not be comfortable with my stuff locked up in my car, parked in the company garage. Taking a brief look, transporting firearms section it appears I would be asking for trouble if I venture down this road. Any feed back concerning this matter, would be appreciate. This would be passed along to others. At this point, I have no intentions towards proceeding down this path.

Thanks,

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    follow your instinct..

its your legal rights that's on the line here.. do you really want to be a test case?

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    What is your company's policy regarding firearms on their property? Locked in your POV per state law is one thing. Locked in your car IAW your company's policy for their private property is something else.

Nodak Kid

Jun 30, 2013
    USA
    What is your company's policy regarding firearms on their property? Locked in your POV per state law is one thing. Locked in your car IAW your company's policy for their private property is something else.

The office is located in Annapolis, so that's all I'm going to say about that. One of the primary owners who is a big hunter is telling me the office will be relocated to VA in the very near future. Things could change at that point.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I'm assuming, if I had license this will allow some flexibility?

People think it does, but it does not.

Anyway, someone is confusing "Maryland Collector Status", which is nothing more than an exemption from the "one handgun a month" rule, with the Federal Curio & Relic FFL.

Any claim to being a "bona fide" collector better be more defensible in court. Having a piece of paper does not make you a "Good Faith Collector", nor does not having a paper mean you are not a genuine collector transporting to a genuine exhibition.

Any such claim has to be defended in court. It is not a get out of jail free card.

If you are arrested for illegal transport, and your only defense is "I am a Good Faith Collector acting in Good Faith to exhibit my collection at the gun range." then I think it will be obvious you are NOT acting in Good Faith , but are rather making a lame attempt to game the system.

However, if you say, "I am legally transporting to informal target practice at the range", then I think you will have a good, valid defense. Maryland does not require you to travel directly to the range, and while I agree you don't want to have to defend yourself in court, I think you'd be better off honestly claiming to be a Bona Fide target shooter transporting in Good Faith to the range, (with a brief nine hour stop at your place of employment), rather than trying to claim you are some sort of "collector", obviously acting in Bad Faith to game the system.

Someone posted recently they had their pistol stolen from their car at work under these exact circumstances. The police said nothing about indirect transport or a nine hour stop on the way. They were acting in Good Faith, within the strict letter of the law, taking their pistol to the range. The police didn't even hint that they had broken any law. Of course, the pistol did get stolen...

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    I work on Ft Meade. I have to drive back home, get the guns and drive back up to On Target or Free State.

I'd only leave guns in the car if it was Secure.

Nodak Kid

Jun 30, 2013
    USA
    People think it does, but it does not.

Anyway, someone is confusing "Maryland Collector Status", which is nothing more than an exemption from the "one handgun a month" rule, with the Federal Curio & Relic FFL.

Any claim to being a "bona fide" collector better be more defensible in court. Having a piece of paper does not make you a "Good Faith Collector", nor does not having a paper mean you are not a genuine collector transporting to a genuine exhibition.

Any such claim has to be defended in court. It is not a get out of jail free card.

If you are arrested for illegal transport, and your only defense is "I am a Good Faith Collector acting in Good Faith to exhibit my collection at the gun range." then I think it will be obvious you are NOT acting in Good Faith , but are rather making a lame attempt to game the system.

However, if you say, "I am legally transporting to informal target practice at the range", then I think you will have a good, valid defense. Maryland does not require you to travel directly to the range, and while I agree you don't want to have to defend yourself in court, I think you'd be better off honestly claiming to be a Bona Fide target shooter transporting in Good Faith to the range, (with a brief nine hour stop at your place of employment), rather than trying to claim you are some sort of "collector", obviously acting in Bad Faith to game the system.

Someone posted recently they had their pistol stolen from their car at work under these exact circumstances. The police said nothing about indirect transport or a nine hour stop on the way. They were acting in Good Faith, within the strict letter of the law, taking their pistol to the range. The police didn't even hint that they had broken any law. Of course, the pistol did get stolen...

Appreciate the insight.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Lots of good advice already posted. Not a good idea to leave a firearm or ammunition unattended (even though locked up) for an extended period. And not worth the risk of being stopped by a LEO who uses his personal interpretation of the transport law. My guess is that your company prohibits the gun(s) in the parking garage, or on company property.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    40 miles home and 40 miles back Vs. the cost of a rental or worse the cost of your rights to own because of legal troubles. Equals a rental is far cheaper.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Can you leave it at the range? Some ranges allow short/long term storage (for a fee) for customers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom