• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I apologize for this taking so long to get put up, but my schedule's been hectic lately and I haven't had time to actually complete my work with the attorney until today.

I mentioned to some folks a few weeks ago that I was working with a local attorney on an NFA trust because I was more comfortable with working with a real attorney and someone who was local. I'm not trying to rehash the whole Quicken/Not Quicken debate. I made my decision on what was best for me.

At the recommendation of a member here who is also an attorney, I went to see Holland (Holly) Brownley over on Kent Island.

Holly confirmed for me that I was in the right place when she started off with, "So you're wanting to put together a revocable trust for the purposes of acquiring National Firearms Act items, correct? Now, will this be for machine guns, suppressors or things like short-barreled rifles and Any Other Weapons?"
    :party29:

Holly also promptly put out there that she was an NRA member and fully supports the 2nd amendment and shall issue laws. :D

We got down to the business of the trust and within about a week I had a draft to consider. Now, a few weeks later (mostly my fault with my schedule and the fact that I told her that there really was no rush) I'm in possession of
    a trust done by a Maryland attorney who really understands not only MD law but also NFA law intimately.

You have to love the attorney that hands you a stack of BATFE Title II forms as part of your package.

I mean no disrespect to GunTrustLawyer.com because I know some here have used them with great success, but Holly is cheaper and she's here and she supports what we're doing as a community.

This is no document mill and Holly practices all aspects of the law, so don't think you'll get it all done overnight. But if you want it done correctly for a very fair price, I can tell you it's worth it.

Based on my interactions with her throughout this process, I'm giving her my personal recommendation to the group here.

(and for the record....I paid the full amount too so this is not a compensated endorsement ;))

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    Much less than $600. Let's just say around 2/3rds. :D

really? Time for me to get into stamp collecting. I was paranoid because of the Willmaker thing and trust getting sent back to people.

All that's missing from that combo is that she's a cutie and it's the perfect woman.
    1) Lawyer
    2) Likes Guns

Actually, that's kind of a scary combo.

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    GunTrustLawyer.com isn't one guy is it? It looks like some kind of referral network where Goldman or whoever runs the show farms the work out to attorneys in each state that have associated with him. Is that right?

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    "Now, will this be for machine guns, suppressors or things like short-barreled rifles and Any Other Weapons?"

does that make a differnce?, are there different categories or can they all fall under the one trust.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    "Now, will this be for machine guns, suppressors or things like short-barreled rifles and Any Other Weapons?"

does that make a differnce?, are there different categories or can they all fall under the one trust.

I think she was making sure that >I< understood what was going on.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Machine guns are not allowed in trust.

That's just because of the MD restrictions/registration though, right?

Doesn't matter for this poor soul anyway.....can't play there. :D

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Never heard of the "No Machineguns on a Trust" for MD before. BATFE will allow it, perhaps the MSP wont allow a Trustee to register it annually????

I just emailed my NFA Attorney (Doug Warfel), to see what he has to say about NFA Trusts and Machineguns in MD. I will update the thread when he responds.

Last edited:

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I sent an email through the site. Still waiting for a response.
    Thanks for the info

If you don't hear in a timely fashion, be sure to call. I get the sense that they're not as quick on the emails as some people here are used to. Like I said, this is a full service firm with lots of other things besides trusts going on.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Just spoke to my NFA Attorney. A Trust is ok for Machineguns in MD.

"Regarding the Machine Gun purchase, an NFA Trust may own a Machine Gun, however, Maryland Law requires registration with the Maryland State Police at the time of purchase and annual registration of a Machine Gun thereafter during time of ownership. This registration requires all personal identity information of the individual in "constructive possession" of the weapon. In the case of am NFA Trust, this would be the current Trustee and all current Co-Trustees and any other individuals given access to the item via the NFA Trust."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom