• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I have been wanting to pick up a 45-70 or 44m lever gun for a while,, Picked up a used Henry Big Boy "X" for a good price on MDS classifieds.

I'll be getting this gun set up and doing a lot of shooting in preparation for next years deer season.
    Also getting a SWC rifle was an excuse to get into reloading.

I have seen name brand, basic 44m rounds for as little as 80 cents per round. (brass case).
    I seen once used brass cases (cleaned) for 50-75 cents per case.
    I see new Starline brass for 25-30 cents per case.

Why is new starline cheaper than once used cases?
    Would it be more economical to buy bulk generic 75 CPR ammo, shoot it and keep the case?

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I have been wanting to pick up a 45-70 or 44m lever gun for a while,, Picked up a used Henry Big Boy "X" for a good price on MDS classifieds.

I'll be getting this gun set up and doing a lot of shooting in preparation for next years deer season.
    Also getting a SWC rifle was an excuse to get into reloading.

I have seen name brand, basic 44m rounds for as little as 80 cents per round. (brass case).
    I seen once used brass cases (cleaned) for 50-75 cents per case.
    I see new Starline brass for 25-30 cents per case.

Why is new starline cheaper than once used cases?
    Would it be more economical to buy bulk generic 75 CPR ammo, shoot it and keep the case?

50 to 75 cents per case for once fired 44 mag brass is way out of whack. Take that out of the analysis entirely.

Almost a tossup between your other 2 options. If you can find decent loaded 44 mag ammo at 80 cents a round, I'd be inclined to buy it and shoot it. But you can make a good argument for buying virgin brass as well for your starting point.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    I bought Starline 6.5 Grendel new brass. Reloaded it and shot it. No issues at all. I did note, however, that it is lighter than my factory loaded cases. Right around 10 grains lighter.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    If I needed 44 brass I'd buy starline at .25

I bought a bunch of once fired that was decapped, wet tumbled, and sized for .20 each a while back. For general pricing guidelines, look at diamondk and everglades ammo. Both sell a lot of.brass.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Is the Starline just brass, and the other is once fired reloads? That would explain the price difference.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I see new star line brass at midway for .28c per at midwayusa

Cast your own pills and reloading is the way to go

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    I like Starline brass, no problems.
    I don't like brass fired in some unknown gun and resized by some unknown reloader who picked it up off the range.
    I was loading Sierra 210 HP in a Ruger 44 lever action at rifle velocities, it shot good but had poor performance on deer. I think at close range the pistol bullet expanded too violently.
    Out of revolvers the expansion was perfect and impressive.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I don't like brass fired in some unknown gun and resized by some unknown reloader who picked it up off the range.
    I guess everyone has their limits, but if you think about it, dies are made to a pretty standard specification - I'd have absolutely no qualms with 44 mag range pickup cleaned and sized by someone else. I'd check them over and look for wear, but otherwise, I'd load them up and shoot them. Think about it - if you're reloading, sized or not, they are going through sizing again - at least they would be if I was loading it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I was loading Sierra 210 HP in a Ruger 44 lever action at rifle velocities, it shot good but had poor performance on deer. I think at close range the pistol bullet expanded too violently.
    Out of revolvers the expansion was perfect and impressive.

* Most * commercial quanities of " once fired brass " is coming from commercial ranges where the customers bought the ammo there new , and left it there . But yeah , probably mixed headstamps .

. For jacketed bullets with controlled expansion suitable for deer , when driven at full boogie rifle velocity , the list is short .

Old School Remington Scallop jacket 240 JHP

Gold Dot 240 JHP
    XTP 240 JHP

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    When I saw a shooter dropping fresh factory ammo cases on the line I would typically as them if they saved their brass. They usually said no (I knew that because of the brass was on the ground...LOL). I would then ask if I could pick it up after they left. They usually said sure. I would then offer them opportunity to fire a cylinder or two of my reloads in my revolver. Often they would take me up on the opportunity to shoot heavy reloads. Typically, they would pick up their empties and put on the bench next to me as they were leaving. I lived to shoot 44 Magnum.

Even with Starline brass, using Hornady 240 grain hollowpoint bullets, using new brass at $0.30/case you will be paying 80% the cost of new Hornady 240 grain JHP at $54/box of 50. After the first firing your cost will be approximately 53% the cost of a new box. This will be contingent on the cost of components, shipping, and sales prices, of course. Lead bullets for practice and faster burning powders will get to down to 25% to 33% the cost.

Last edited:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Even with Starline brass, using Hornady 240 grain hollowpoint bullets, using new brass at $0.30/case you will be paying 80% the cost of new Hornady 240 grain JHP at $54/box of 50. After the first firing your cost will be approximately 53% the cost of a new box. This will be contingent on the cost of components, shipping, and sales prices, of course. Lead bullets for practice and faster burning powders will get to down to 25% to 33% the cost.
    I guess it depends on the bullets you use. You don't HAVE to shoot Hornady 240 gr XTPs. I'm perfectly happy shooting 240 gr hard cast lead bullets. My Dad was perfectly happy shooting bullets he cast - sometimes he used gas checks, sometimes he didn't. Back then with component prices being what they were, he could shoot 44 mag for about the same cost as shooting 22 LR - maybe less.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I guess it depends on the bullets you use. You don't HAVE to shoot Hornady 240 gr XTPs. I'm perfectly happy shooting 240 gr hard cast lead bullets. My Dad was perfectly happy shooting bullets he cast - sometimes he used gas checks, sometimes he didn't. Back then with component prices being what they were, he could shoot 44 mag for about the same cost as shooting 22 LR - maybe less.
    That’s true. Shot lots of lead in 44 Magnum. That is why I mentioned the 25-33%. I used the 240 JHP example since he seemed interested in hunting.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    That’s true. Shot lots of lead in 44 Magnum. That is why I mentioned the 25-33%. I used the 240 JHP example since he seemed interested in hunting

I want to thank everyone for their insight.

I have had good luck using PRBULLET Keithnose and Extreme Elite all lead in my inline muzzle loaders, typ 260-300 gr. And did not see positive results with Jacketed handgun bullets in the ML.

So I was leaning towards an all lead keith style bullet such as:

Last edited:

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    That is a popular bullet in 44 Mag. You will like it. I have had good luck using 2400 gunpowder with hard cast bullets when driving them to magnum velocities. Keeping velocity below 1100 fps those hard casts will perform well with other powders in the Bullseye and Unique range. Other makers similar powders work well in those under 1100 fps loads as well.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    If you are new to a caliber it is often good to buy a pile of brass from Starline and be done with it. You then know the history of it, when it will need to be trimmed down the road after X firings, and when it may be pushed back to light load only status or to be put into the scrap pile. Makes life simpler and doesn't cost a lot of $$.

So, I would order a pile from Starline and enjoy it for a long time. In a revolver you won't loose any and it will last a long time.

Sure, can buy range brass but then have mixed headstamps and sometimes an odd history. If I am leaving my brass on the range it is because it is TIRED and should be scrapped out.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    That is a popular bullet in 44 Mag. You will like it. I have had good luck using 2400 gunpowder with hard cast bullets when driving them to magnum velocities. Keeping velocity below 1100 fps those hard casts will perform well with other powders in the Bullseye and Unique range. Other makers similar powders work well in those under 1100 fps loads as well.
    Yes sir, nice charge of 2400 powder, some heavy hard cast "Keith Style" SWC bullets, CCI magnum primers and hold on. Also cast Some "nasty looking" lead HP's out of some MiHec molds and another group buy don't remember who's they were. got some gas checked loads. Like the 44mag.. whether Blackhawk or Contender...Rock n Roll loads

-Rock

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    As I am new to this,, these Keith Nose are "2-2-96" alloy,, is that soft, hard, in between?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As I am new to this,, these Keith Nose are "2-2-96" alloy,, is that soft, hard, in between?

Typical generic " hard alloy " is 2% Tin 6% Antimony 92% lead .

Back in the Elmer Keith days , he wouid use a binary 1:16 tin - lead for cast HP , and 1:12 for really hard .

In the modern era , Tin is Expensive , and Antimony is more cost effective for hardness .

Downside is high % of Antimony can result in brittle . For more ductile alloyfor controlled expansion , a higher porportion of tin is helpful .

2-2-92 is non standard , but * seems * it would be a good compromise for a cast HP , without the extra $$ for tin only .

Simplified - 2-2 -92 is suitably hard for purpose , and might also expand acceptably .

Added - For many uses , 2-6-92 is harder than needed .

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Typical generic " hard alloy " is 2% Tin 6% Antimony 92% lead .

Back in the Elmer Keith days , he wouid use a binary 1:16 tin - lead for cast HP , and 1:12 for really hard .

In the modern era , Tin is Expensive , and Antimony is more cost effective for hardness .

Downside is high % of Antimony can result in brittle . For more ductile alloyfor controlled expansion , a higher porportion of tin is helpful .

2-2-92 is non standard , but * seems * it would be a good compromise for a cast HP , without the extra $$ for tin only .

Simplified - 2-2 -92 is suitably hard for purpose , and might also expand acceptably .

Added - For many uses , 2-6-92 is harder than needed .
    Thanks for the explanation.
    Going into a "SWC" rifle to replace my H&R 20ga Ultra slugger,, I was thinking in the line of trying to "replicate" The 20 ga slug. So I was thinking I needed the heaviest bullet I could get.

My flat out max hunting shot would be 120 yards, and 99% would be under 100 yards.
    I like/want a pass through, I am typ shooting from a high tree stand (steep shot angle),, so the entry is typ not going to leave a blood trail and I am hunting thick stuff/public land.

After some reading, it appears a 200-220 gn bullet is going to create the most damage on small bodied deer up to ~150 lb (most of my deer are 80-120 lb).
    Sounds like I can push a 200-220 bullet to ~1800 FPS without being to long to cycle in a lever gun.
    My big unknown is what bullet design and alloy will give me the most expansion and still pass through at those speeds (muzzle 1800fps, 120 yds 1300-1400 fps).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom