• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grits

In God I Trust And Live
    Jul 12, 2012
    Frederick
    Someone mentioned to me the other day that their FFL is going to release everything before Oct 1st so nothing is caught in all of the mixup. I have multiple things I am about to buy and I am hoping to get my regulated firearms collector status before Oct 1st so I don't have to be in the mixup as well.

In case I do not get it before then, what FFL's in the area are doing the "releasing everything before oct. 1st deal and is this something that is "legal"? Also, do you know what transfer fees are for that FFL?

If anyone can point me in the right direction I will be giving this FFL a lot of business before oct. 1st. Thanks in advance.

I would not trust anything a non releasing FFL would say or promise. If they are not releasing now, chances are they won't later.

Grits

In God I Trust And Live
    Jul 12, 2012
    Frederick
    What IF

Another "what if" question. What if Oct.1 rolls around and the HQL, additional BS and addional costs do in fact kick in. What if I refuse to go and pick up my transfer? What if I say I've had enough of this and eat the $800 investment (some loose more at Charlestown). What if I tell Bob at GR to just keep the damn gun, I'm not filling out any more papers, jumping anymore hurtles and etc. I bought the gun in Pa, not at GR. What happens then? Believe me, I'm reaching that point where I cut my losses, in both money and time keeping up with it. I guess I would hope that nothing can be done with my handgun if I walk away and refuse the transfer, hope that Bob could not take possession and re-sell, MSP don't know what to do with it and so on. In other words, it would just become a pain in the ass for somebody else. Is any of this possible?

One thing I'm curious about and maybe someone in here can answer. Are non-releasing dealers informing their new customers at time of purchase about the extremely long wait and the fact that they will now need the HQL to pick up their firearm? The way I see it anyone buying from a non-releasing FFL will be lucky to get their guns before 2014. I was at Freestate yesterday shooting and saw a number of what appeared to be "newbies" looking to purchase handguns. I know Freestate is NOT releasing on time nor do they plan to. I heard alot of explanation going on about the firearms but, heard nothing being explained about the waiting or the HQL. Just curious. My friends wife bought a .38 there and there is no way she will get it before 10/1. When I told her what she was going to have to go through to get her HQL she flipped and said she doesn't even want to get it now. Too late for her.

Mr H

Banana'd
    if they don't start processing apps by hql sept 1st, there should be a legal recourse for anyone with firearms pending

There are still no published procedures for HQL apps (nor anything related to SB281, in fact), and the MSP has only said that the application will be online "by 10/1"

Anyone who doesn't have their purchases/transfers in place with an 8th-day dealer by 9/15 or so, IMO, is in for some serious headaches.

Sleeping Troll

Jul 12, 2012
    I thought that if all of the paperwork was done and the firearm was "purchased" and you were just waiting your time, there would be no more paperwork after Oct 1st. You would eventually just go and pick it up. Looks like I have mis-read or mis-heard something?

Like if I bought 6 things from an 8th day release right now, paid for everything, and filled all the paperwork out. I would just pick up one a month even after oct 1st or is there now more paperwork having to be done after oct 1st deadline?

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    I thought that if all of the paperwork was done and the firearm was "purchased" and you were just waiting your time, there would be no more paperwork after Oct 1st. You would eventually just go and pick it up. Looks like I have mis-read or mis-heard something?

Like if I bought 6 things from an 8th day release right now, paid for everything, and filled all the paperwork out. I would just pick up one a month even after oct 1st or is there now more paperwork having to be done after oct 1st deadline?

If you receive a handgun after 10/1, you'll need the illusive HQL to do so. Unless you are retired military, LEO or its a C&R class firearm.

Grits

In God I Trust And Live
    Jul 12, 2012
    Frederick
    If you receive a handgun after 10/1, you'll need the illusive HQL to do so. Unless you are retired military, LEO or its a C&R class firearm.

The retired military still PO's me. What makes a "retired" military any better than non-retired military that lived with and used his weapon for 4-7 years? I know retired military that have/had not been around a firearm since they were in basic training, more than 20 years ago. That's just plain ridiculous.

dleary13115

Jan 10, 2011
    Baltimore County
    Waht about active duty? Will we need a HQL? I had Continental do a pistol transfer for me on May 25th and they told me 8 weeks. HAHAHA, I can't believe I listened to those jerks.

I wish, wish, wish I had known about 8 day release back in May, I would never have taken my business to Continental otherwise.

Publius

Mar 18, 2013
    Ellicott City
    One thing I'm curious about and maybe someone in here can answer. Are non-releasing dealers informing their new customers at time of purchase about the extremely long wait and the fact that they will now need the HQL to pick up their firearm? The way I see it anyone buying from a non-releasing FFL will be lucky to get their guns before 2014. I was at Freestate yesterday shooting and saw a number of what appeared to be "newbies" looking to purchase handguns. I know Freestate is NOT releasing on time nor do they plan to. I heard alot of explanation going on about the firearms but, heard nothing being explained about the waiting or the HQL. Just curious. My friends wife bought a .38 there and there is no way she will get it before 10/1. When I told her what she was going to have to go through to get her HQL she flipped and said she doesn't even want to get it now. Too late for her.

I don't mean to be rude, but what do you think the answer to your question is? The answer is exactly what you are thinking.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    The retired military still PO's me. What makes a "retired" military any better than non-retired military that lived with and used his weapon for 4-7 years? I know retired military that have/had not been around a firearm since they were in basic training, more than 20 years ago. That's just plain ridiculous.

They (along with police and active duty LEOs) are (more-so) a special interest group, and an exception was made in the bill to appease them.

We need to show the legislators in the next election that they can't divide and conquer gun owners.

gswayne

Left Maryland, Freedom
    Nov 9, 2011
    FYI Angler's in Annapolis is releasing with a waiver. It is not after 8 days but is around "two weeks" due to their backlog.

Jiman

Dec 12, 2012
    Another "what if" question. What if Oct.1 rolls around and the HQL, additional BS and addional costs do in fact kick in. What if I refuse to go and pick up my transfer? What if I say I've had enough of this and eat the $800 investment (some loose more at Charlestown). What if I tell Bob at GR to just keep the damn gun, I'm not filling out any more papers, jumping anymore hurtles and etc. I bought the gun in Pa, not at GR. What happens then? Believe me, I'm reaching that point where I cut my losses, in both money and time keeping up with it. I guess I would hope that nothing can be done with my handgun if I walk away and refuse the transfer, hope that Bob could not take possession and re-sell, MSP don't know what to do with it and so on. In other words, it would just become a pain in the ass for somebody else. Is any of this possible?

I feel your pain, but I see that as cutting off your nose to spite your face. Ultimately no one is really out of pocket exept you.

I agree it might become a sort of paperwork headache for someone else, but other than that, you're the one looses the most.

If it were me, I'd just suck up any further minimal time & cost and wait. I'd rather wait longer and get my gun eventually vs. never getting it nor my money.

Hang in there...I'm right there with you.

I have to believe that it depends. It depends on you asking the right questions and how open the FFL is.

Mine (GunRunners) FFL told me that I wouldn't be waiting as long this time around. I waited 3 wks earlier this year. I was prepared to wait the same time this time around, not knowing the process and backlog had gotten worse.

When I asked why/how the wait had gotten shorter, he told me that a law suit had just been won and that he'd start doing an 8-Day release. I happen to come in mid-June. I said that was awesome and went in 8 days later.

I was there when the doors opened. I told him I was there for a pick-up. Without even asking my name, he said when did you fill out the paperwork. I told him 8 days ago. He (Fred) chuckled w/o even looking through any paperwork and said it's not ready and told me to come back in about 12 weeks.

I asked him what changed in the 8 days I last saw them. That's when he went into the NICS# and not knowing how to properly fill out the ATF paperwork and their NRA attorney's advise in not releasing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom