• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whitty Whit

Mar 20, 2013
    All pawn made me a bit angry today telling me my sks with a factory fixed mag in a folding stock is regulated... Grrr i hope they change their minds soon on this 8 day thing i like them alot but this is killing me, just got my DC too

Did they tell you why they thought it was regulated? Just curious.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    I can tell you without hesitation that the MSP did NOT authorize, ordain, give permission for 8th day gun releases. The email that was sent to all dealers on 5-31 was nothing more than an explanation of the procedure regarding the paperwork submission for guns that have been released early. I can also tell you that you would be hard pressed to get a governmental agency to put something like that in writing especially the MSP. Some dealers are releasing SOME guns early ie.- Law enforcement, military, designated collectors, and people with a history with that particular shop but an all out release for everyone probably not.....As a dealer I can tell you that the potential civil liability isn't worth the risk. Lets say a dealer releases a weapon to Joe Smith and Joe Smith takes the gun home and let say someone breaks into Joes house and Joe shoots that person and lets say it was a perfect, justified, text book shooting and he injures or kills the person. I would be willing to bet that the family of the criminal or the criminal himself will sue everyone involved...Joe Smith, MSP, Firearms Dealer who released the weapon etc. So while it is frustrating waiting for your weapon can you really blame the dealer for trying to be cautious and protecting their butts.

Well then Lieutenant Jerry Beason, Assistant Commander, Licensing Division, is in a whole world of hurt. As I keep reading that email and if a dealer CHOOSES to release a regulated firearm, then that is how the MSP Licensing Division wants it done (i.e. “Eighth day release of a regulated firearm.”) cover sheet. Seems pretty clear to me and the cover sheet being a very specific request.

I was also too first confused on this but, dealers don't have to get "authorization, ordain, give permission" from MSP Licensing Division, as releasing on the 8th day is Maryland state law. Most dealers know this, the issue being that since MSP was the POC for regualted firearms, whether a NICS/NTN was being ran on their end to comply with federal law. This letter doesn't state that, but seems to suggest that any 77R submitted with the cover sheet will have the Federal NICS check done within the 7 days, as to comply with state and federal guidelines.

Last edited:

JADCecil

May 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    I can tell you without hesitation that the MSP did NOT authorize, ordain, give permission for 8th day gun releases. The email that was sent to all dealers on 5-31 was nothing more than an explanation of the procedure regarding the paperwork submission for guns that have been released early. I can also tell you that you would be hard pressed to get a governmental agency to put something like that in writing especially the MSP. Some dealers are releasing SOME guns early ie.- Law enforcement, military, designated collectors, and people with a history with that particular shop but an all out release for everyone probably not.....As a dealer I can tell you that the potential civil liability isn't worth the risk. Lets say a dealer releases a weapon to Joe Smith and Joe Smith takes the gun home and let say someone breaks into Joes house and Joe shoots that person and lets say it was a perfect, justified, text book shooting and he injures or kills the person. I would be willing to bet that the family of the criminal or the criminal himself will sue everyone involved...Joe Smith, MSP, Firearms Dealer who released the weapon etc. So while it is frustrating waiting for your weapon can you really blame the dealer for trying to be cautious and protecting their butts.

The logical fallacy of your scenario which gives rise to liability is that it is true regardless of whether a shop releases on day 8 (per Maryland law) or day 79 (per MSP ND). Your hypothetical criminal's family is going to sue everyone regardless of whether release occurred on day 8 or day 79. There seems to be this myth that waiting for a ND somehow insulates a dealer from liability. Unless I am missing the Attorney General's Opinion Letter which promises a legal defense fund if a shop waits until a ND we all need to abandon this myth.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie

I sincerely hope that you, and others that think along these lines, realize that there are many states where purchasing a handgun is cash and carry. Your line of thinking is no different than the liberals who put us in this situation to begin with.

garyad

The MSP are not in the position to authorize, approve, give permission or ordain anything. It is state law, has been state law for as long as I can remember but has not been an issue up until now. This would still not be an issue if the MSP would not take it upon themselves and feel the need to check the 17 databases that they do. A simple NICS check should be all that is needed. It works, use it.

SteveG75

Feb 25, 2013
    Escaped to gunny FL.
    In reference to All Pawn, I picked up my lil' S&W M&P .22 from there today. Called to verify first and they stated that they indeed they were releasing after 8 days to military, retired, military, military dependents, etc. Basically if you have an ID they will release to you at 8 days. No need for an appointment or anything, I just dropped by after work. I was in and out of there in about 10-15 minutes. Took them longer to find were my gun was located than it was to sign the forms. The guys there have always been nice and helpful anytime that I've stopped by there. They also had a few ARs, shotguns and a decent selection of handguns both new and used for all. Not a full release by any means but they are doing something for military, former military, dependents, etc.

And I called All Pawn yesterday and they said only active duty military, LEO, and designated collectors. Specifically said that retired military is not good enough. :mad54: They need to put out a policy.

ianmcall

Sep 21, 2011
    Damascus, MD
    I will be sending out an email to the dealers on the not release list. If im missing a dealer please post their name city and if they are a no.

I want to try and get definitive answers from these dealers.

bigwillc

Apr 12, 2013
    Charles County - Da Dorf
    And I called them yesterday and they said only active duty military, LEO, and designated collectors. Specifically said that retired military is not good enough. :mad54: They need to put out a policy.

Wow. That's unfortunate and messed up. I can assure you that I'm not active military and I receive my firearm yesterday. Maybe they are making on the fly changes or all of their employees aren't on the same accord or something.

SteveG, Just curious what time did you call them on yesterday?

ianmcall

Sep 21, 2011
    Damascus, MD
    Wow. That's unfortunate and messed up. I can assure you that I'm not active military and I receive my firearm yesterday. Maybe they are making on the fly changes or all of their employees aren't on the same accord or something.

SteveG, Just curious what time did you call them on yesterday?

Lets do our best to provide Date, Time, Contact Name. If you dont have the information put N/A

bigwillc

Apr 12, 2013
    Charles County - Da Dorf
    Lets do our best to provide Date, Time, Contact Name. If you dont have the information put N/A

Date: 6/3
    Timeframe: Approximately 5:00 p.m.
    Contact: POC for the transaction was Ron? I didn't get his last name (and probably wouldn't put it out there anyway). :-)
    Original purchase date was 5/15

Hope this helps some.

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    We should be asking too if C&R qualifies for the shops. No one with that license would fail a background check.

Not true. C/R is a three year license.

Reasons for a recent purchase disapproval lurk in a fluid universe which can change daily.

Present charges, restraining orders, etc. can happen at any time and cause someone to fail a background check and be disapproved.

pseiverd

Vote Em out of Annapolis
    Apr 2, 2013
    Cecil County
    My best friend called me from bank gun and pawn in hdg this afternoon. He was there to do a transfer, he said it was a madhouse because they started releasing in the 8th day. No idea if they have any conditions on it though

I just talke to Bank Gun this morning as I have 2 purchases waiting there. They are releaseing with no conditions.

Llyrin

Yankee-Rebel
    Mar 14, 2009
    Charles Co
    At 0936 this morning, All Pawn in White Plains said they WILL NOT release a regulated firearm before receiving MSP paperwork. They will not release to ANYONE. They said "that was a clerical error" referring to previous releases, I suppose, or to the MSP weekly update.

ianmcall

Sep 21, 2011
    Damascus, MD
    At 0936 this morning, All Pawn in White Plains said they WILL NOT release a regulated firearm before receiving MSP paperwork. They will not release to ANYONE. They said "that was a clerical error" referring to previous releases, I suppose, or to the MSP weekly update.

A+ post, thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom