• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hollowman

Feb 28, 2013
    Does anyone know of an FFL that will accept a "completed, paid in full order, but not recieved" transfer?

Longer story - Sharp Bros. Hellbreaker Stripped Lower went on sale today from Spikes Tactical, cost $300. I want one. However, these lowers may not be shipped until after 01 Oct. The Catch 22 is my understanding of the law is that a "completed order" is valid for transfer after 01 Oct. I'm not necessarily worried about the HQL, for me (retired military). That does not mean I agree with the HQL, but I understand I am an exception to some of the requirements.

The scenario boils down to... is there a MD FFL that will accept my completed order (before 01 Oct) and work with me to complete the transfer after 01 Oct?

I second this request. Glade Valley Sporting Goods in Frederick is NOT.

Hollowman

Feb 28, 2013
    I second this request. Glade Valley Sporting Goods in Frederick is NOT.

Add the "gun center" off of Rosemont ave and "gun runners" off of Patrick street to the "will NOT accept POs for post oct. 1 transfers" list.

ETA: both shops are located in frederick city

Last edited:

Shooter410

southpaw
    Apr 16, 2011
    ForWonOh
    I copy and pasted this from MSP website...

Required to have the HQL, but exempt from the training component
    Someone who completed a certified safety course.

Has completed a course of instruction in the competency and safety of firearms as prescribed under Natural Resources Article, §10-301.1, Annotated Code of Maryland. Application for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources Hunter Safety Course Certificate can be obtained from here and may be used in lieu of Qualified Handgun Instruction.

Is currently a qualified handgun instructor.
    Is an honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States or National Guard.

Is an employee of an armored car company who has a handgun permit issued by MSP.
    Lawfully owns a regulated firearm.

If you already own a handgun or assault weapon prior to October 1, 2013, you do not have to complete the training to apply for the Handgun Qualification License.

So if I already legally own a hand gun, I just have to simply obtain the HQL to receive the one I just bought on the 26th?

ianmcall

Sep 21, 2011
    Damascus, MD
    I copy and pasted this from MSP website...

Required to have the HQL, but exempt from the training component
    Someone who completed a certified safety course.

Has completed a course of instruction in the competency and safety of firearms as prescribed under Natural Resources Article, §10-301.1, Annotated Code of Maryland. Application for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources Hunter Safety Course Certificate can be obtained from here and may be used in lieu of Qualified Handgun Instruction.

Is currently a qualified handgun instructor.
    Is an honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States or National Guard.

Is an employee of an armored car company who has a handgun permit issued by MSP.
    Lawfully owns a regulated firearm.

If you already own a handgun or assault weapon prior to October 1, 2013, you do not have to complete the training to apply for the Handgun Qualification License.

So if I already legally own a hand gun, I just have to simply obtain the HQL to receive the one I just bought on the 26th?

Correct. From what I have been told when you are filling out the online form for the HQL it will have a place for you to put in the Serial Number of the regulated firearm you currently own to satisfy the training requirement. You'll still need to submit finger prints.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    My pop purchased a handgun from Fox Guns from Columbia at the recent Howard County show a few weeks ago. The donk doing the paperwork was a cold prickly. I am just going to say perhaps it was due to them being busy as all get out. Anyway, my pop is trying to get the 8 day release now and they told him no. Anyone else have any dealings with Fox Guns? Thanks.

ianmcall

Sep 21, 2011
    Damascus, MD
    My pop purchased a handgun from Fox Guns from Columbia at the recent Howard County show a few weeks ago. The donk doing the paperwork was a cold prickly. I am just going to say perhaps it was due to them being busy as all get out. Anyway, my pop is trying to get the 8 day release now and they told him no. Anyone else have any dealings with Fox Guns? Thanks.

As the spreadsheet says.

Fox Firearms in I dont know where. Their policy is 8 day release if you meet one of the following requirements: LEOs, military personnel, MD carry permit holders, or an ND (from any dealer) within the past year. So if your father isn't one of those they will not release in 8 days. However this policy may have changes since it was report June 28th, 2013.

You should try asking them directly what their current release policy is.

Dave T

Chad Fox has treated me pretty well. I had a recent ND so I was good to go for 8th day. A couple weeks ago he was telling me how crazy busy everything has been lately. (This was around the time of the gun show). I imagine the nerves of many of the FFLs are pretty frayed about now.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    ian, your work here is pretty much done for now, huh?
    Thanks for helping everyone on this board!

DontTread

Apr 5, 2013
    Hey all,

I know I am cutting things a close as you can get, but wondering if anyone can give some advice. I am wondering if I can purchase an AR15 online tonight. First, will any FFL accept a transfer if the purchase is made before midnight. 2nd, if you think that is possible, do you know of any websites that will allow you to purchase an AR15 online? I have used gunbrokers on one purchase in the past, but I had to pay the next day after receiving an email with CC authorization. Any info would be helpful, thanks.

ianmcall

Sep 21, 2011
    Damascus, MD
    Hey all,

I know I am cutting things a close as you can get, but wondering if anyone can give some advice. I am wondering if I can purchase an AR15 online tonight. First, will any FFL accept a transfer if the purchase is made before midnight. 2nd, if you think that is possible, do you know of any websites that will allow you to purchase an AR15 online? I have used gunbrokers on one purchase in the past, but I had to pay the next day after receiving an email with CC authorization. Any info would be helpful, thanks.

I would advise calling the dealers in your area, go off the spreadsheet for numbers, and see if they will take a purchase order over the phone or you can maybe rush in last minute and put some money down.

I guarantee you if you buy online you WILL have a hard time finding a dealer that will take your transfer.

Your best bet is to find a dealers now that is stay open late for all the last minute shoppers. Off the top of my head Duffys Gun Shop is open late today. They have been my go to dealer recently.

The Watcher

Armed and Medicated
    May 6, 2013
    Upperco, MD
    I just picked up my Sig Sauer P226 today.

I waited at least an hour at Lock Stock and Barrel in Taneytown with a lot of others who had to pick up their guns before the 1st.

The Carol County Sheriff was there looking for support in his reelection. He even handed out copies of the new regulations from the State Police regarding firearms purchases. It may take quite some time for me to read it all.

One question - why do the State Police have to issue regulations about a law?

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Columbia, MD. I will call them. Thanks. My father is HD from Army- I guess when they used to haul cannons with horses and used British squares.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    this is from an email from my pop. I think the d!(k who yelled at him is the same Ron Jeremy moustache Ahole yelling at folks at the show a few weeks back. The other guy with the tats and others behind the counter seemed nice. Guess you are what you eat. He is a d!(k. :mad54:

...Problem is I cannot hear well in noisy situations and I did not properly understand him - your brother informed me that is the law that they have to release after 7 days cause the piece is paid for and is your property, and they have no right to withhold your property from you. Being fired with enthusiasm I called him and was treated to a yelling, screaming actually, tirade about he doesn't release cause he would be held liable if I shot someone - I was referred to a Md State Delegate name of ,"Smigiel", your brother gave me his personal cell number and I called him. I related the story to him, at which point he became furious and told me that said gun dealer was full of it, lying to me so I called back and got nowhere. I finally told said dealer I wanted my money back, and I would purchase from someone else at which point he went off the deep end telling me there would be a 15% restocking fee....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom