• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    Because Maryland law says you have to. The quote I put above is state law, not fed.
    No, it doesn't... reading comprehension owns you. MD law requires you to follow federal law. Federal law doesn't require ATF markings on home made guns that are never sold or taken to a FFL.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    No, it doesn't... reading comprehension owns you. MD law requires you to follow federal law. Federal law doesn't require ATF markings on home made guns that are never sold or taken to a FFL.
    Unscrew your head and read the law right here.

the important part, straight from the law link above. The md marking rules are legal under federal law, or use the ffl number method. Once the full federal rules go in to effect then you must do the ffl method. Thats part of the ffl license number followed but a distinct number.

(2) On or after March 1, 2023, a person may not possess a firearm unless:
    (i) the firearm is required by federal law to be, and has been, imprinted by a federally licensed firearms manufacturer or federally licensed firearms importer with a serial number in compliance with all federal laws and regulations applicable to the manufacture and import of firearms; or
    (ii) the firearm:
    1. has been imprinted by a federally licensed firearms dealer, federal firearms manufacturer, or other federal licensee authorized to provide marking services, with:
    A. the zip code of the current owner or person that made, completed, or initially assembled the firearm;
    B. the initials of the current owner or person that made, completed, or initially assembled the firearm; and
    C. a number that does not match a number used by the current owner on another firearm or by the person who made, completed, or initially assembled the firearm on any other firearm that the person has made, completed, or initially assembled; and
    2. has been registered with the Secretary.

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    Unscrew your head and read the law right here.

the important part, straight from the law link above. The md marking rules are legal under federal law, or use the ffl number method. Once the full federal rules go in to effect then you must do the ffl method. Thats part of the ffl license number followed but a distinct number.

(2) On or after March 1, 2023, a person may not possess a firearm unless:
    (i) the firearm is required by federal law to be, and has been, imprinted by a federally licensed firearms manufacturer or federally licensed firearms importer with a serial number in compliance with all federal laws and regulations applicable to the manufacture and import of firearms; or
    (ii) the firearm:
    1. has been imprinted by a federally licensed firearms dealer, federal firearms manufacturer, or other federal licensee authorized to provide marking services, with:
    A. the zip code of the current owner or person that made, completed, or initially assembled the firearm;
    B. the initials of the current owner or person that made, completed, or initially assembled the firearm; and
    C. a number that does not match a number used by the current owner on another firearm or by the person who made, completed, or initially assembled the firearm on any other firearm that the person has made, completed, or initially assembled; and
    2. has been registered with the Secretary.
    Read what you just posted, specifically section (ii). Then try to tell me again how I am wrong and how MSI and other lawyers are also disagreeing with your reading skills.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Read what you just posted, specifically section (ii). Then try to tell me again how I am wrong and how MSI and other lawyers are also disagreeing with your reading skills.
    Here is MSI page on pmf. here is msi's page on pmf.
    Here is the screen shot with the first line of what their page says.
    and I quote
    "In 2022, the Maryland General Assembly passed HB425 and SB387, bills that criminalize the possession of unserialized firearms (aka "ghost guns" or "privately made firearms") starting on March 1st, 2023."
    Do you still say that msi says it does not need to be. When their site says hb 425 and sd387 criminalizes possession of unserialized firearms.

eeXQ0lF.png

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Only with regards to the information contained in the SN, and the depth of the engraving. It has absolutely nothing to do with when a firearm is sold.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Apparently your comprehension of Maryland State Statute is lacking. You are confusing the federal requirement to be serialized if transferred, with Maryland's requirement to either use the State mandated serial number conformity (zip code, owners initials, unique number) vs the ATF serial number requirement.

If, by March 1, 2023, your home built firearm is not serialized in either fashion, Maryland considers your firearm illegal to own in the state of Maryland, while the ATF may still consider your firearm legal unless/or until you transfer it. In this case, until it is challenged, Maryland's law is the issue after March 1, 2023, not the ATF rule (which is NOT law).

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    Apparently your comprehension of Maryland State Statute is lacking. You are confusing the federal requirement to be serialized if transferred, with Maryland's requirement to either use the State mandated serial number conformity (zip code, owners initials, unique number) vs the ATF serial number requirement.

If, by March 1, 2023, your home built firearm is not serialized in either fashion, Maryland considers your firearm illegal to own in the state of Maryland, while the ATF may still consider your firearm legal unless/or until you transfer it. In this case, until it is challenged, Maryland's law is the issue after March 1, 2023, not the ATF rule (which is NOT law).
    Yes, I get that. This whole conversation started with someone saying that the zip code serial engraving method is not valid...

Post in thread 'List of FFL's doing SN engraving' https://www.mdshooters.com/threads/list-of-ffls-doing-sn-engraving.265531/post-6747982

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Hanover Armory is refusing to do anything to the ATF standard until Aug. 24th. They said an ATF representative has told them to wait until the ATF tells them how to do it.
    I showed them the Federal Registry posting of the new rule. Their interpretation is that it cannot be done until then. Mine is that they cannot comprehend the written word in their primary language and are following the instructions of an incompetent government employee!
    This is the second time I have been there attempting to get ATF compliant engraving on some toys. I understand they fear doing anything to jeopardize their license.
    Is there something I am missing? If so, why are others engraving to the ATF standard without issue?
    Not sure I will be going to them for anything in the future. After two wasted trips, I would rather travel further than deal with them at this point. On the first trip, I was told they were "suggesting" that customers wait. After researching, I found they were mistaken about the final rule not being posted. Today I was told they are "requiring" customers to wait.
    A single word can make a big difference and would have saved me a trip if used the first time.
    I have little patience for poor communications.
    Rant, over.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Hanover Armory is refusing to do anything to the ATF standard until Aug. 24th. They said an ATF representative has told them to wait until the ATF tells them how to do it.
    I showed them the Federal Registry posting of the new rule. Their interpretation is that it cannot be done until then. Mine is that they cannot comprehend the written word in their primary language and are following the instructions of an incompetent government employee!
    This is the second time I have been there attempting to get ATF compliant engraving on some toys. I understand they fear doing anything to jeopardize their license.
    Is there something I am missing? If so, why are others engraving to the ATF standard without issue?
    Not sure I will be going to them for anything in the future. After two wasted trips, I would rather travel further than deal with them at this point. On the first trip, I was told they were "suggesting" that customers wait. After researching, I found they were mistaken about the final rule not being posted. Today I was told they are "requiring" customers to wait.
    A single word can make a big difference and would have saved me a trip if used the first time.
    I have little patience for poor communications.
    Rant, over.
    I gave up on Hanover, and took advantage of the great weather earlier this week to do the long drive to Lock, Stock, and Barrel in Carroll County. Got the job done with no drama, to ATF spec.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I had several done at Duffy's, not per MD or Fed standards, just putting serial numbers on a few self made firearms that did not already have them (most of my self made firearms have s/n's engraved as per the recommendations of MSP for many years now). I think the 23rd is the last day they will do engraving. It was quick and painless. ;)

error404

Apr 18, 2022
    FL
    My brother (FFL07) has been going to MD gun shows & the range with his fiber laser and doing serialization right on the spot. Not sure of dates or places, but if anyone is interested I can ask.

Aug 16, 2022
    Finksburg, MD
    P80 - 80% lower serializing
    (ATF compliant)

Hello everyone, I’m Alejandro with Blue Customworks and I’m a type 7 FFL manufacturer offering laser serializing services (ATF method).

I’ll be serializing at the following designated gun events if you would like to bring your 80%’s:

Associated Gun Clubs of Maryland (AGC Range):
    Tue 8/30 4:00PM – 8:00PM
    Sat 9/3 9:00AM – 4:00PM
    Sun 9/4 11:00AM – 6:00PM
    Hosted by Arlington Rifle and Pistol Club
    *Open to the public
    https://agcrange.org/
    https://www.arlingtonrpc.com/

West Friendship Gun Show:
    Sat 9/10 9:00AM – 4:00PM
    Sun 9/11 9:00AM – 3:00PM
    https://gunshowtrader.com/gun-shows/west-friendship-md-gun-show/

Serializing Pricing:
    1-4 Guns: $45 each
    5 or more Guns: $40 each
    *AGC Badge holders get $5 discount per gun and 10% of proceeds are donated to the AGC.
    *NFA Engravings: same pricing.
    *I accept card and cash.

*Bring friends and family to combine theirs for pricing. They have to come in person with gov issued photo ID.

Please Bring:
    -Gov issued photo ID
    -Guns unloaded and in a case/bag.
    -AR’s: please remove the upper, stock can stay on.

They take 20 mins each.
    If you come to the gun show: Drop by my table first to drop off your guns and pick them up before you leave.
    If you come to one of the AGC events: You can drop them off with me then go shoot or spectate!

AGC events taking place same days:
    https://agcrange.org/calendar/list.php

Tue 8/30 4:00PM – 9:00PM: Tuesday Night Steel (Action Shooting)
    Hosted by Arlington Rifle and Pistol Club (ARPC) at Shooting Bays 1 – 3
    *At this event: Members can shoot, public guests can spectate.
    https://www.arlingtonrpc.com/

Sat 9/3 9:00AM – 12:00PM Trap Shoot & 5-Stand
    Hosted by Old Post Rifle and Pistol Club at Trap 1 – 3
    *Open to the public!
    https://www.oldpostclub.com/

Sat 9/3 and Sun 9/4 12:00PM – 4:00PM: Public Trap
    Hosted by Associated Gun Clubs Staff
    *Open to the public!

Feel free to contact me with questions.

Thanks

A frame or a receiver marked in this manner (ATF Method) by a manufacturer or importer need not be registered with the Maryland State Police.” -Maryland Shall Issue
    https://www.marylandshallissue.org/jmain/information/privately-made-firearms-in-maryland

Alejandro Schubert
    Owner & Artist
    Blue Customworks
    Finksburg, MD
    Cerakote – Laser Engraving
    P80-80% Lower Serializing – NFA Engraving
    FFL Type 7 Manufacturer
    info@bluecustomworks.us
    Mobile: (301) 742-4428
    Instagram, Facebook, Gun Broker search: Blue Customworks
    Website coming soon.

Feb 17, 2018
    Harford county
    tried going through all these pages on here and on that other thread, but I cant find the answer to this question. so if it has already been answered i apologize.

Lets say I form 1 SBR one of these 80% lowers. Can I still engrave that myself and satisfy the requirements and not do the 77r for the voluntary registration on them too?

Not going to lie, an extra 150ish bucks each for the few unbuilt lowers I have is not a huge hit in the grand scheme of things if I already have to spend 50ish. And it gives me an excuse to make a few more SBRs.

Aug 16, 2022
    Finksburg, MD
    tried going through all these pages on here and on that other thread, but I cant find the answer to this question. so if it has already been answered i apologize.

Lets say I form 1 SBR one of these 80% lowers. Can I still engrave that myself and satisfy the requirements and not do the 77r for the voluntary registration on them too?

Not going to lie, an extra 150ish bucks each for the few unbuilt lowers I have is not a huge hit in the grand scheme of things if I already have to spend 50ish. And it gives me an excuse to make a few more SBRs.
    I can't answer to form 1 since I don't have experience with that form but I can answer the following.

Submitting a 77r for a PMF is voluntary (not mandatory) if serialized the ATF method. It is only mandatory if it is serialized the MD method, which stopped being accepted by MSP on Aug 24. I have only been doing the ATF method.

I also do the NFA engravings for the same price as serializing. If you need both on each gun I can work with you on pricing depending on how many you're doing.

You're also welcome to contact me via phone, email, text, DM etc.

Lastly, Marylandshallissue.org has some really good and to the point info regarding PMFs. I personally confirmed with MSP regarding registering guns serialized the ATF method. And they confirmed it's not required for those.

Alejandro Schubert
    Owner & Artist
    Blue Customworks
    Finksburg, MD
    Cerakote – Laser Engraving
    P80-80% Lower Serializing – NFA Engraving
    FFL Type 7 Manufacturer
    info@bluecustomworks.us
    Mobile: (301) 742-4428
    Instagram, Facebook, Gun Broker search: Blue Customworks
    Website coming soon.

Last edited:

velero25

Mar 10, 2022

When you find an FFL (or if you are the FFL) that does serial number engraving on home made/80% firearms in order for them to be in compliance with MD's new law, please post in here with the business name and location so's people can find them quickly.

The other thread has so many posts/pages that info easily gets lost there. Hoping to keep this one concise.
    Loper Machine, Harford County, no issues, will place mark were you want it (within guidlines). Reasonably priced at $45 per. Mark is minimum requirements and really not that bad. (Not bad… not withstanding the fact that we have to this to avoid prison time. :(

BTM9

Apr 20, 2021
    Lock, Stock and Barrel in Keymar, MD.
    Laser engraved a trap gun for our grandson's birthday.
    Good people !

Attachments

• 025 (6).jpg
      025 (6).jpg
      182.6 KB · Views: 89
    Last edited:

DWN

May 30, 2022
    Hagerstown, MD
    Not meaning to add mud to this issue, the Maryland State Police do not require you to register your gun. I
    An unregistered gun is perfectly legal only if it NEVER LEAVES YOUR HOME. Once you step outside of your house, an un-serialized gun is illegal. This means that you cannot transport it, use it at a gun range, carry it on your person etc.. So now you have a P80 or AR sitting in a safe and there it stays. Gee....sounds like fun.
    I am a type 1 FFL also licensed by the Maryland State Police. I have had people tell me that they will never register their guns. Guess what?! I don't care! I don't make the laws. I don't enforce the laws. I just follow the laws. Everyone has the right to follow or not follow the laws. Remember, play the tune, pay the piper.
    Regarding the ATF, as of August 24th this year, by law all ghost guns are illegal...period. If there is a indecent involving a firearm then the ATF will be there investigating. Your choice.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Except that Maryland law requires every unserialized firearm (made after GCA was signed) in the state to be marked by 3/1/23. For a FFL to do so, if they accept to work on any PMF, they must serialize it in the manner the federal rule describes.
    Except for pre-1968 firearms, which were not required to have serial numbers.

I'm glad they at least exempted pre-68 firearms because I have my grandfather's old bolt action 12 gauge and I didn't want to mar it up with engravings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scooby225

Latest threads

Top Bottom