• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    Well, yes, it does seem unfair for the state to make you into a criminal for having purchased something that at the time you bought it was legal to buy and have. They are allowed to do things like that, and it extends to many kinds of products, not just firearms, but things in common trade, like gold. What you miss in your example is that while buying and possessing the unmarked firearm was legal, continuing to possess it after a fixed date is illegal unless you bring it into compliance by means the law prescribes. Of course if the prescribed means are unavailable except to destroy the firearm and forfeit its value, the state has effectively taken it from you without just compensation.

To the other poster lamenting the fact that this thread is not confined to a list of FFLs providing marking services, I can say that some of us posting are actively exploring constructive options to accomplish just that, and that as soon as more progress is made, information will be shared here.
    I'm very interested whoever will offer this marking service because I would not want to have to destroy my hardwork. Would like to find out ASAP because I imagine the few people that will offer this will end up having a lot of demand and a long lead time or wait list. And time is counting down.

beetles

MDS Supporter
    Dec 19, 2021
    DC Laser Engraving, 14428 Marsh Pike, Hagerstown, MD 21742 Phone (240) 629-5380
    Pleasant, professional and friendly service, quick, reasonable pricing.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I just looked at their website, and yes they are an FFL. That’s all I know, as I’ve never heard of them before

Attachments

• D504DA99-C618-4D19-A584-B5E5671CDE71.png
      D504DA99-C618-4D19-A584-B5E5671CDE71.png
      264.4 KB · Views: 127

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Yeah, just because they do engraving DOESN'T MEAN they will do THIS engraving. Better call them and confirm. There are MANY FFL's that do engraving, but NONE so far are willing to do this.

beetles

MDS Supporter
    Dec 19, 2021
    Yeah, just because they do engraving DOESN'T MEAN they will do THIS engraving. Better call them and confirm. There are MANY FFL's that do engraving, but NONE so far are willing to do this.
    He will do 80% pistol lowers needing ATF-compliant marking.

beetles

MDS Supporter
    Dec 19, 2021
    MD allows either marking to the ATF standard: FFL number (abbreviated)+"some other number" or the MD alternative: builder zip code+ builder initials+unique number.

So the answer is "yes."

asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    MD allows either marking to the ATF standard: FFL number (abbreviated)+"some other number" or the MD alternative: builder zip code+ builder initials+unique number.

So the answer is "yes."
    Well mine already has my city and state , my full name not just initials and a unique number I sent out to have professionally engraved to ATF spec and actually to the California requirements (although California has to issue you a serial number) prior to milling it out a year ago just in case Maryland did this. Plus I have model, caliber, etc engraved to make it look official. I keep hearing mixed opinions on this. I was told by someone I just have to fill out a 77R and use the serial number I put on it. I guess the big question I'd does city and state suffice as location or does it absolutely need the zip code? In the ATF and California specifications, it's city and state. Or most other places that regulate this. Nobody ever puts a zip code on their recievers. Trouble is I'm not sure what to do because the new law targets unserialized recievers. Mine are but just not officially on any books. And I did this just in case they were regulated in the future and allows identification marks to law enforcement if lost or stolen . And this was all done before any law on them was passed. Thinking about it more, an FFL marking it with another serial number might be a Grey area. Or if my serial number was obliterated for a new one, then thats a big Grey area for me and the business doing the work. Or I'm not sure if I should try to fill out a 77R with my current serial number and see if goes through? Or would that risk legal trouble doing that?

Last edited:

beetles

MDS Supporter
    Dec 19, 2021
    Well mine already has my city and state , my full name not just initials and a unique number I sent out to have professionally engraved to ATF spec and actually to the California requirements (although California has to issue you a serial number) prior to milling it out a year ago just in case Maryland did this. Plus I have model, caliber, etc engraved to make it look official. I keep hearing mixed opinions on this. I was told by someone I just have to fill out a 77R and use the serial number I put on it. I guess the big question I'd does city and state suffice as location or does it absolutely need the zip code? In the ATF and California specifications, it's city and state. Or most other places that regulate this. Nobody ever puts a zip code on their recievers. Trouble is I'm not sure what to do because the new law targets unserialized recievers. Mine are but just not officially on any books. And I did this just in case they were regulated in the future and allows identification marks to law enforcement if lost or stolen . And this was all done before any law on them was passed. Thinking about it more, an FFL marking it with another serial number might be a Grey area. Or if my serial number was obliterated for a new one, then thats a big Grey area for me and the business doing the work. Or I'm not sure if I should try to fill out a 77R with my current serial number and see if goes through? Or would that risk legal trouble doing that?
    Why can't you take it as-is the the state police and have them record it? It sounds as if you already meet the marking requirement in the law for content.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom