• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drew_acid

Kreuzritter
    Calibers ??

Knowing almost nothing about them - what calibers are lever actions available?

I've heard of 22, 30-30, 45 and some others...

Are there 223, 308, or other NATO / AK calibers? How about 9, 40 or other pistol?

Please educate me...

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008

I've heard of 22, 30-30, 45 and some others...

Are there 223, 308, or other NATO / AK calibers? How about 9, 40 or other pistol?

Please educate me...

On calibers such as 7.62*51, .308, .243 etc you get away from the traditional tube mag. Not a bad thing. Personally while I have some hard hitting levers I think the platform is best by far in crisp shooting fast reload and reaqusition pistol calibers.

The Browning BLR comes in many calibers. I have an old "pre-81" model in 308 Winchester. It's a fantastic gun.

Current offerings, none come cheap:

223 Rem, 22-250 Rem, 243 Win, 7mm-08 Rem, 308 Win, 358 Win, 270 Win, 30-06 Spfld, 7mm Rem. Mag, 300 Win. Mag, 300 WSM, 270 WSM, 7mm WSM, 450 Marlin, 325 WSM.

They are all magazine fed.

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    Another choice would be a Marlin 1894 or a Rossi Puma which is a nice copy of the Win 92.

A buddy of mine is in the market for a Rossi Puma in .454 Casull.

Know any good places where he may be able to find one in VA w/o the use of a FFL? I told him gunshows and check on the 'for sale' board here (and a few other forums).

I guess I'm looking for lever action clubs and such where he could find someone who is looking to sell theirs.

~Trigger~

Sep 6, 2010
    AZ Transplant
    Here is my contribution to this thread...

Marlin 1895CB in .45-70

This rifle has everything I look for in a lever action. Except for one thing. A pistol grip stock. If anyone out their is interested in converting their 1895s or 336s into a straight stock, I could be talked into trading some parts with ya.

zu01v5.jpg

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    In another week, after I get the replacement in hand, there will be a very nice Rossi 1892 .45LC for sale. I'm going to an 1866 model.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I saw one of these at a gun show in the Spring. It was so beautiful it almost brought a tear to my eye, and I'm not a lever action guy.

photo.php

It's a Big Horn Armory model 89 in .500S&W; The fit and finish was excellent.

ETA:

http://www.gunblast.com/Bighorn89.htm

Cool and functional without doubt. Like the lever it has, Chuck Conners is dead and the giant non functional loop some like looks ........ stupid like:

Attachments

• orange_pimp_ride.jpg
      orange_pimp_ride.jpg
      37.6 KB · Views: 143

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Well drew, lever guns have been avalible in calibers from 22 short up to 45/110 and maybe 45/120 that i know of and maybe up into the 50 calibers. browning had a model 65 that was offered in 357 mag. Most winchesters and brownings that were developed in the 1800s were rimmed cart except the 1895 and that was avalible in 30/06. Savage had the model 99 and most of the calibers were rimmless. This info is off the top of my head so i am sure there is exceptions to what i know.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    A buddy of mine is in the market for a Rossi Puma in .454 Casull.

Know any good places where he may be able to find one in VA w/o the use of a FFL? I told him gunshows and check on the 'for sale' board here (and a few other forums).

I guess I'm looking for lever action clubs and such where he could find someone who is looking to sell theirs.

Good luck finding one, they are scarce. I have had one on order from Hyatt for about 5 months. Someday it will come.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I'm looking for a compact .357 lever. What's available?

.357/.38 is probably the best fun shooting lever caliber ever. I had a Rossi in that caliber, really good gun had some point of aim issues that needed worked out but produed touching groups on decent ammo (handload) 38s at 50 yards. Just about the perfect definition of a truck gun. Action was pretty smooth out of the gate, though some improvements could be made with a little work.

Ended up selling it to a family member to finance the purchase of a .357 Winchester Trapper which are awesome but a little pricey to find in good condition (this one is unfired and was under $600 which is a steal, the .45s in the same configuration ironically go for less!)

Given prices and whats on the market if purchasing again and didnt want the Winchester to match my .45 I would probably go with a Rossi M92, 16" stainless in .357. Heck I still have the above mentioned .454 cassul/.45LC Rossi M92 on order and hope to see it someday. Just remember whether you are running a .357 mag, .44 mag or .454 gun and running "shorts" (e.g., .38, .44 spec and .45LC) you will need to keep the chamber very clean or you will get sticky when you go up to the full length load. But this is no different than doing the same in a revolver.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I saw one of these at a gun show in the Spring. It was so beautiful it almost brought a tear to my eye, and I'm not a lever action guy.

photo.php

It's a Big Horn Armory model 89 in .500S&W; The fit and finish was excellent.

ETA:

http://www.gunblast.com/Bighorn89.htm

:drool:

I want.

Every since they stopped making the Towner pump action for the 500, I've been looking for something.

Sucks being broke :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom