• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    One of our prominent members poo poo'd that with the reasoning that you wouldn't be able to prove what was in the letter you sent.:sad20:

Fwiw, whenever I send something important enough to send certified mail, I complete the USPS form and then photocopy the letter with the form so both are 'connected'. Further, since I keep a stack of these forms in my office, I generally include a reference to the item number in the letter text. Something like:

Via USPS Certified Mail Item # xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx

Once mailed, staple the certified receipt to the photocopy of the letter and I believe you've established not only the letter contents but also the date of mailing.

---
    Shamr0ck

HiballHiside

Apr 10, 2013
    Fwiw, whenever I send something important enough to send certified mail, I complete the USPS form and then photocopy the letter with the form so both are 'connected'. Further, since I keep a stack of these forms in my office, I generally include a reference to the item number in the letter text. Something like:

Via USPS Certified Mail Item # xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx

Once mailed, staple the certified receipt to the photocopy of the letter and I believe you've established not only the letter contents but also the date of mailing.

---
    Shamr0ck

Good suggestion.

HiballHiside

Apr 10, 2013
    You mind if I use your letter, get it notarized and send return receipt certified mail?

Will you be changing it to reflect your personal position? This is all based on my personal research and I don't know how accurate my non lawyer interpretation is.

At this point I don't mind you using the text. It's a good place to start a letter from. IMO.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Will you be changing it to reflect your personal position? This is all based on my personal research and I don't know how accurate my non lawyer interpretation is.

At this point I don't mind you using the text. It's a good place to start a letter from. IMO.

I will edit it to reflect my personal experience with both purchases and DC.

Seemed like a good starting format.

Maybe if we all did this, they would start doing something.

Gordnfreman

Feb 13, 2013
    Westminster
    Pretty clear that FFL's MAY release them. Implies discretion.

Hello SNI, I just posted this in another thread, thought it might apply here also since your talking about discretion.

I think the FFl's that are going to transfer after 7 days will only do so with long time customers that they know very well and know they will be "not disapproved".

My FFL has been transferring on the 8th day to his repeat customers that have done a lot of business with him. He knows they will be "not disapproved".

In the "MSP getting heat from ATF and FBI" thread it has been pretty much established that the firearm can be transferred after the 7 days and be in compliance with all Federal and State laws.

Any FFL can transfer to whom ever, when ever he wants, as long as he does not get a "disapproved" within 7 working days of the paperwork being faxed to the MSP.

If you are a first time buyer at any given FFL, or have only bought a couple in the last few years you are going to have a real hard time trying to get your gun without the "not disapproved" from the MSP.

Would you transfer to someone you don't know or hardly know after 7 day's if you were the FFL?

He owns the shop. It is his business and he has every right to do conduct his business the way he wants and is comfortable with.

Come on guy's, do you really think because you have bought 1 or 2 maybe 3 guns in the last couple of years that you should expect him to transfer after 7 days when he is obviously not comfortable doing so?

I have done 20+ transfers in the last 6 months with my FFL. I have been doing business with him way before the "mad rush" started. You have to have an established relationship with an FFL.

Just my opinion and just asking. ;)

Forthefunofit

Mar 25, 2013
    Ridgely, MD
    Email Address?

Could someone please post Brown's email address. The one listed on the MSP site failed, oh actually it looks like the whole site failed. THis just keeps getting better. If you have it please post it, I would like to ask for clarification too.(Shouldn't we all ask???:innocent0):D
    I have also emailed WJZ 13 management asking them to cover this issue since they are so hot and heavy on the gun bill, gun shows, and illegal gun activity. Should we get some coverage too?

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Hello SNI, I just posted this in another thread, thought it might apply here also since your talking about discretion.

I think the FFl's that are going to transfer after 7 days will only do so with long time customers that they know very well and know they will be "not disapproved".

My FFL has been transferring on the 8th day to his repeat customers that have done a lot of business with him. He knows they will be "not disapproved".

In the "MSP getting heat from ATF and FBI" thread it has been pretty much established that the firearm can be transferred after the 7 days and be in compliance with all Federal and State laws.

Any FFL can transfer to whom ever, when ever he wants, as long as he does not get a "disapproved" within 7 working days of the paperwork being faxed to the MSP.

If you are a first time buyer at any given FFL, or have only bought a couple in the last few years you are going to have a real hard time trying to get your gun without the "not disapproved" from the MSP.

Would you transfer to someone you don't know or hardly know after 7 day's if you were the FFL?

He owns the shop. It is his business and he has every right to do conduct his business the way he wants and is comfortable with.

Come on guy's, do you really think because you have bought 1 or 2 maybe 3 guns in the last couple of years that you should expect him to transfer after 7 days when he is obviously not comfortable doing so?

I have done 20+ transfers in the last 6 months with my FFL. I have been doing business with him way before the "mad rush" started. You have to have an established relationship with an FFL.

Just my opinion and just asking. ;)

Totally agree. If you read my posts over in that other thread, you will find I have no qualms with the FFL's and actually prefer the wait over the risk. This does not mean the wait is acceptable, but i am not in favor of and will not start pressuring any FFL to release firearms without a NICS check. I can only imagine the possibilities.

RRHemi

Mar 1, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    ^^ Agreed. I am sure the op was attempting to push the issue with local Gov. and not intending to pressure FFLs. LGS's are obviously under enough pressure.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    ... and all we'll get is something to the effect of "We are aware of the problem, are trying to solve it and appreciate your patience".

Too bad we can't do that when they want some action from us, like paying taxes, fees, tickets, etc.

Wonder if we could, in fact, just send them their own response letters back when they send inquiries :)

I

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom