Lets hear some stories. What got you into C&R?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Growing up with Indiana Jones movies > learning real history > getting involved with WWII reenacting > availability of innexpensive C&Rs covering the pages of "Shotgun News"... Even as an 18 year old, buying $40 Turkish Mausers or $60 Mosin Nagants with bayonet, sling, oiler, pouches, etc was affordable and was so much fun to clean up and find and identify markings, etc. Clearing away the cosmoline and uncovering unique carvings in rifle stocks, or little divets in the finger grip of a WW1 era Mauser where hands wore it down over time and imagining the stories that we'll never know. Then came the pride of shooting it at the range with my dad and feeling that brief connection with whoever was the last person to have fired that rifle perhaps on some wartime training range or even on a battlefield. What an interesting hobby to be a part of...I feel so fortunate to have had that experience.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Saw a program where the investor guy was preaching investing in things you can enjoy. He was mentioning vacation homes (long term 20+ years) and high end art, the. Some crufflers here were talking about Mosins and it got me started. More so I’m interested in the history/ story behind the firearms and encourage other to research history of their C&R items as part of the collecting.
    Guns generally do not do better than the stock market as a whole even though I have had a few 4x in 10 years. Yup, I was there for the $89 Mosins Black Friday less than a decade ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    My Grandfather.

Granfer Charlie.jpg

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    These old Milsurp rifles have amazed me since a teenager. The looks and quality of fine old machinery. I didnt know anyone collecting Milsurp stuff when I started collecting in the late 70's. Went to every gun show around and used to go to Woolworth and go through the barrels of Military rifles. The actions on the Mausers and Springfields amazed me first. I was buying Mauser rifles up cheap back then. Then on to rifles from other countries one by one. It was addicting.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I plan to divest myself of a lot of C&R stuff this year. Going to start by consigning a nice Chinese Type 53 with matching numbers (only one I’ve personally seen with matching nums) at South Carrol Sporting Goods this week.

IMG_9088.jpeg

Fate

Mar 18, 2012
    Always was a WWII nerd growing up. Played army like many boys in the 70s. As an adult I started playing Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (MOH:AA) in the mid 90s with a tactical realism clan called {BdG}. Soon after I spotted a VZ-24 at Big 5 sporting goods and it was downhill from there. USGI, German, Russian, Finn, Chinese are where I mostly collected. Gunboards fueled my Mosin addiction. I first found this forum looking for info on my PSL-54c.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I grew up in the 90s/2000s, so for me what did it was WW2 movies and video games that I was probably too young to be indulging in (but I think I turned out mostly OK). Around then interest in WW2 saw a spike thanks to Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers. I watched those and played the Medal of Honor and the early Call of Duty games. I was also exposed to firearms at a young age, so the basis was already there.

I grew up in the 90s/2000s, so for me what did it was WW2 movies and video games that I was probably too young to be indulging in (but I think I turned out mostly OK). Around then interest in WW2 saw a spike thanks to Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers. I watched those and played the Medal of Honor and the early Call of Duty games. I was also exposed to firearms at a young age, so the basis was already there.
    Yes, I still have the Playstation Medal of Honor soundtrack burned into my memory haha! Yeah that was the time I got into WW2 reenacting - in 1999/2000. Was a good time to get into collecting back then...

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, and the Medal of Honor & Call of Duty games piqued my interest in the late 90s/early 2000s. Then, I had a buddy who had his C&R and literally had rifles stacked in every corner of his apartment. He was big into re-enactments and had the rifles, the uniforms, bayonets, etc. He's the only person I know who kept a loaded Thompson M1 on his nightstand as a PDW. He let me shoot all kinds of stuff (first time I shot a M1 Garand and an M1 Thompson). Even then, I didn't buy anything myself other than ammo to run through his guns when we'd hit the range every couple of months. Finally, around 2006 or 2007, I bought a M91/30 that I picked out of a barrel for $70 (included oiler, sling, and 40 rounds of corrosive surplus ammo). After that, it was on. First gun I bought with my C&R license was an 1895 Nagant made at Tula during the war. It was a post-war refurb and I HATED shooting it (they truly are terrible guns). It was $90 from one of the surplus companies. I think I sold it for $300 or so just a few years later.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    When I was about 4 years old I had bedsheets with pictures of Colt Single Action Armies and Winchester '73s all over them.

Then I was given a book called The How and Why Wonder Book of Guns, which detailed the entire history of guns from the earliest hand cannons through the most modern Single Action Armies and Winchesters. I was particularly fascinated by the wheellocks.

Still hoping for a good deal on surplus wheellocks, whenever the Holy Roman Empire clears out their warehouses.

Wow - I actually had a few of these books many many years ago!!

noddaz

bonehead
    Jan 9, 2014
    Arnold
    My Dad's old rifles when I was a kid. My Dad explained what a Damascus barrel was to me when I was 7 or 8.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I got mine back in the day of $79 SKSs, $59 Nagants (sometimes $49 on sale), and $100 m1895 revolvers. Those days are long gone, but I got my money’s worth out of that license.

spur0701

Dec 31, 2009
    Way back in '99 I changed jobs, my hours went way down and salary went way up. I wasn't used to having all this extra free time and money. Was driving home from work early one Friday after lunch and stopped at Maryland Small Arms to kill some time. They had a bargain rack and there was an Ishapore Enfield for something like $69 so I bought it. Researched it that weekend and found Gunboards and not longer afterward Cruffler.com, got my C&R and credit card out and went crazy. That C&R is long expired but I've gone through another 3 or 4 since then.....and I still have that Ishapore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom