• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GRAA_MD

May 5, 2013
    Do any of these depts have military preference? I entered active duty after graduating from college with a sociology degree. I am intel so my background is super clean, and I should have completed a masters in Crim Justice before I discharge. How strong of an applicant do you think I would be on a dept down here? I know there is no perfect applicant, but Ive been working at becoming him.
    Allmost all MD police departments honor military experience and grant Veteran's pref, and will count your DD 214 time towards retirement.

They don't otherwise prefer military over non-military, they just need people to pass the background checks (75% fail) and the PT tests.

Apply to all (MSP, Baltimore City and County, etc) and take the first job you get a solid offer for, and complete the Academy wherever you start. Plan to stay 2 years, clear probation, and don't start shopping around for a move elsewhere until you have 2 yrs "on the street" and adjust to thining long term.

With the right attitude and decent military leadership skills, you could be a SGT or LT within 5 yrs almost anywhere, could be commanding a precinct in 7, and could end up as a Chief within 15-20 yrs.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    SGT or LT within 5 yrs almost anywhere, could be commanding a precinct in 7, and could end up as a Chief within 15-20 yrs.

Where?!!!!!!! Sgt or LT in 5 years, LOLOLOL!!!!!! Don't count on it!!!! Commanding a precinct in 7!!!!! WHERE?!!! Maybe this stuff in Department of Corrections.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    SGT or LT within 5 yrs almost anywhere, could be commanding a precinct in 7, and could end up as a Chief within 15-20 yrs.

Where?!!!!!!! Sgt or LT in 5 years, LOLOLOL!!!!!! Don't count on it!!!! Commanding a precinct in 7!!!!! WHERE?!!! Maybe this stuff in Department of Corrections.

Yeah. Good luck getting respect from those under you too!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Are there preference for BS degree's or MS degrees? Or does MSP/BCP/BCoP all view each candidate the same?

There's only a handfull of departments that require A) A degree B) You obtain one in a required amount of time.

The ones you posted do not require any college courses or degrees.

However like anything else in life it helps when you are applying to a highly competetive process which LE has become in recent years.

From what I've seen they do not care WHAT the degree is in. Many have CJ degree's but I'd submit they get no preference over others and it's border line useless to get a CJ degree.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    Best advice is when applying make sure your background is squared away, seriously. Take your time and make sure your background packet is neat and free of mistakes. Make sure you are in good physical condition, you better stand out among the other applicants. They weed out so many applicants just in this step. Its great to have a degree/masters in something, but that does not equate to a solid applicant or recruit. And in many cases a person with a solid education may not be as suited for police work as a 35 year old former carpenter. I've seen people with great educations get rocked in the first weeks of that academy and quit on the spot. And I've seen tough marines never make it off Field Training. Focus on your application, physical condition, and written test. If you stand out in those areas you should put yourself in a good position. AND DON'T LIE, EVER.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Also they want to know the background ( in addition to your integrity ) is info that you could possibly be blackmailed with. If someone decides to say X about you, for one reason or another, the agency already knows about it. Then you can just say nanny nanny boo boo to that person and tell them good try. ;)

carpentermatt

Feb 9, 2009
    I'm red/green color deficient and know that a lot of departments wont' hire because of this. The position I would like to have is deputy sheriff and I'm waiting to hear back from the recruiter to know whether or not this is going to exclude me from being hired. I have no prior law enforcement history and was wondering how important the color blind thing is in day to day applications of law enforcement. I can see colors obviously just have trouble distinguishing light shades of red/green.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Apply to Baltimore City...Don't be scared. I'm a firefighter down there for one reason and one reason only. I like fighting fire. I like action and lets be honest. No jurisdiction around here even comes close to the amount of fires we get in Baltimore City. If you want action then you work in the city. If you want to write tickets for tinted windows and loud exhaust systems then you get a job in the county.:lol2:

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Apply to Baltimore City...Don't be scared. I'm a firefighter down there for one reason and one reason only. I like fighting fire. I like action and lets be honest. No jurisdiction around here even comes close to the amount of fires we get in Baltimore City. If you want action then you work in the city. If you want to write tickets for tinted windows and loud exhaust systems then you get a job in the county.:lol2:

See some would say if you want better pay, better beni's, a solid pension program, better equipment, and less headache...You'd get a job in one of the several counties.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    See some would say if you want better pay, better beni's, a solid pension program, better equipment, and less headache...You'd get a job in one of the several counties.

Aint going to argue that my friend. Although, Baltimore City has one of the best Fire & Police pensions in Maryland. It is self sustainable and you can't beat a 20 year 60% retirement. 30 years gets you 80% of your salary. It may be 25 years now for new hires but 25 years still gets you 70% of your salary. That's not including the drop program which lets you walk away with roughly $40,000 up front if you complete the program.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Aint going to argue that my friend. Although, Baltimore City has one of the best Fire & Police pensions in Maryland. It is self sustainable and you can't beat a 20 year 60% retirement. 30 years gets you 80% of your salary. It may be 25 years now for new hires but 25 years still gets you 70% of your salary. That's not including the drop program which lets you walk away with roughly $40,000 up front if you complete the program.

Um...the cities police pension fund is, I believe, is funded in the mid 50%'s. That's fairly horrible when you look at Baltimore County funded at mid 70's and they are trying to bolster it more. You want your pension fund at about 80% and in good economy obviously higher. Making the promise of the pension is great but when it's funded like the cities is you are taking a leap it will be there in your 25 years.

Same can be said for th drop although most will likely be grandfathered as you know these things come up for debate/alterarations every 1-4 years pending on the contract.

A 20 year LT. (two ranks) in the city makes about what a 20 year officer makes in the county. That's MAJOR money over the course of not only your employment but your retirement as well. Of course there is over time debates in there but base pay is base pay.

Then you have to factor in Furlughs which the city did a few years ago. I believe they got a back pay bonus recently but still...most counties did not furlough.

There are some VERY good officers in the city who do a great job. The pay is certainly not "low" however a 10-20k difference in pay base at the same time/rank is considerable. Factor in moral and equipment and it's sometimes hard to win a debate.

I dont have the time nor inclinition to get all the hard numbers but I'm fairly sure I'm accurate or close with the pay scales.

I work with several former city officers....their stories do take the cake though as far as how things are ran down there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom