• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    There is a gazillion federal agencies in DC. Sometimes they have pissing contests over coveted parking spots in front of houses named after a color. I heard there was talk of two different checkpoints at the same entrance since one agency wanted to control who got the parking by the checkpoint going in. Other agency threatened an outgoing checkpoint.
    I have a good idea on how to get a foot in the door on a federal career. PM if interested in that. Also, please tell me you started looking, resume writing, job fairing, interning before you graduated.

31bv5

Apr 28, 2010
    Harford County
    A bit of a side note here, but when an academy says that you are legible for GI bill benefits during the academy, does anyone know how much per month that is? Full BAH?

Thanks

RoccoRP87

Mar 22, 2013
    Your best bet is to go Baltimore City, tough it out for a while then lateral to one of the safer counties.

Baltimore City is always hiring and the physical standards aren't insane like some other departments. Insane being a relative term.

Ransom

South County
    Jul 21, 2012
    Maryland
    Your best bet is to go Baltimore City, tough it out for a while then lateral to one of the safer counties.

Baltimore City is always hiring and the physical standards aren't insane like some other departments. Insane being a relative term.

Doesn't Bmore City make you sign a contract saying you'll stay at least 2 years before you leave? That's an awfully long time to 'tough it out' in one of the most dangerous places to work as an LEO. I'd rather take my time and wait to get into a more respectable agency, but that's just me.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Doesn't Bmore City make you sign a contract saying you'll stay at least 2 years before you leave? That's an awfully long time to 'tough it out' in one of the most dangerous places to work as an LEO. I'd rather take my time and wait to get into a more respectable agency, but that's just me.

They do...and it's my understanding they request you pay back the training fee's...however from what I hear it's not actively enforced.

Two years goes by VERY quickly.

It wouldnt be my first pick for many reasons including moral, pay, retirement, politics, etc. but it's better then no LE job or no job at all.

mward

Ultimate Member
    Dec 4, 2009
    Annapolis

I actually thought it was closer to 4 or 5. But I'm fairly sure they do because they were losing so many people to outside agencies.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I actually thought it was closer to 4 or 5. But I'm fairly sure they do because they were losing so many people to outside agencies.

DC does the same thing and its due to the cost of training you, that's all.

This area is one of the few that don't embrace private training academies like PA does. In a lot of places you pay for the training and hope to get picked up after your done. A few guys I work with we're lucky to get picked up by departments who trained them. Most pay to play.

mward

Ultimate Member
    Dec 4, 2009
    Annapolis
    DC does the same thing and its due to the cost of training you, that's all.

This area is one of the few that don't embrace private training academies like PA does. In a lot of places you pay for the training and hope to get picked up after your done. A few guys I work with we're lucky to get picked up by departments who trained them. Most pay to play.

Yeah it seems like everyone in MD pretty much puts you on their dime. The least you can do is stay there a few years. Most places have fairly similar pay/benefits anyway. Except places on the shore which drop down a bit!

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co

Forgot about this thread.
    To answer the question, yes you do sign a contract with BPD. It used to be 2 years, but I believe they did increase it recently. The thing is(or so I'm told), it really has no teeth to it. It's not like a military contract that falls under UCMJ law.

@mpdc: The PA system is a real pain from what I've seen of it. I haven't even tried up there. The regional organizations charge a pretty steep fee just to get an application.

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    I've never heard of them making someone pay when they bail for another agency. It happens all the time. Most departments love that the City trains you, it's cheaper for them.

survivorRob

Apr 1, 2009

The worst part about the city is the pay and benefits. The working conditions are pretty bad as well, but with fair pay it would be OK. The only people I know who went into the City PD were people who couldn't get in anywhere else (myself included). I have since moved on after five (long) years.

Ransom

South County
    Jul 21, 2012
    Maryland
    I guess I'm just lucky enough to get into the same jurisdiction that I already had 8 years time in.

Kudos to those who went to Bmore City just to 'get in' and lateral somewhere else. I could never do that, partly due to me already having 8 years AA County time.

bigalf

Apr 1, 2012
    Fort Meade
    Do any of these depts have military preference? I entered active duty after graduating from college with a sociology degree. I am intel so my background is super clean, and I should have completed a masters in Crim Justice before I discharge. How strong of an applicant do you think I would be on a dept down here? I know there is no perfect applicant, but Ive been working at becoming him.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    Do any of these depts have military preference? I entered active duty after graduating from college with a sociology degree. I am intel so my background is super clean, and I should have completed a masters in Crim Justice before I discharge. How strong of an applicant do you think I would be on a dept down here? I know there is no perfect applicant, but Ive been working at becoming him.

it depends on multiple factors, most important YOUR INTEGRITY, your education, application/interview, physical/mental condition, credit history, criminal history, military service. Just get your applications in and begin the first step. Then go from there, you will find out then how you measure up to the competition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom