• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    I got a guy interested in building an AR15 from scratch, from a stripped lower up, and just realized he's a sinister lefty!

What am I going to need to know to help him learn this new platform he's totally unfamiliar with?

I know he shoots rifles lefty. Should he learn to shoot the AR righty? Are there any aftermarket options he should lean towards or avoid? Ambi selector any good?

BTW, it's the Spikes lower from the group buy, so a dedicated lefty lower like a Stag is out of the question.

Thanks for any thoughts, hints, opinions, etc!

-hp

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Stag Arms.

There are only 3 specific parts (upper reciever, BCG, and ambi barrel extension) to build a lefty-specific upper (stag's lefty lower is just a regular lower with an ambi safety.) If you email Stag, they can sell you those 3 parts. Ambi Safety is a must.

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    a dedicated lefty lower is out of teh question.

is he going to be disappointed with his new gun? i'll feel bad swaying him twds an AR if it's not going to be fun to shoot...

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    I have been shooting lefty on a right-handed AR since my days in the Army. It is easy and only a bit of a disadvantage. I can work the safety w/ my index finger just as fast and easily as most righties use their thumb. Mag release is easy with the right hand (right hand also loads new mags as left hand holds the weapon). The ejection port doesn't bug me at all - never had a problem with hot brass or gas.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    as long as it doesn't eject backwards there shouldn't be a problem - i shoot lefty on right hand rifles because I am left eye dominant.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Spikes and POF have lowers that have ambi bolt releases, then all you need is a Norgon mag release and a ambi safety.

Stick with a standard upper, that way all the parts are standard, no need to track down specific parts if something fails.

I'm a lefty and I have no problems shooting any of mine.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I agree. Lefty and I shot just fine with a "normal" Ar.

Part of the idea for the AR platform was parts being readily available. Not really sure why you'd want to screw that up with propertary parts on odd ball platforms.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    I'm a righty by left eye dominant, I grew up shooting rifles right handed, but my eyesight has slipped in the right eye, even with a correction. I was unwilling to give up shooting and chose to learn how to shoot rifles left handed. It's a bigger problem with an AK or bolt action, but an AR is rather ambi' in the world of rifles. Build him one and he'll love it just the same. It takes a little muscle training. but it's no problem. Now I out shoot many of my friends who thought they were so much better then me when I was shooting with a disadvantage. Also a lefty learning how to shoot a left handed AR puts him a greater disadvantage because it forces his muscle memory to learn a rifle that is not the standard, so when he picks up a standard AR he's he's all messed up. I've also chose not to add any ambi parts and just teach myself how to adapt.

Hyper-W

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2010
    Cooksville
    I am a rightly but left eye dominant. I shoot a Stag Left model.
    This thread comes up quite a bit and there is always a mix of responses.

I highly recommend a Stag for lefties. In my opinion, it beats getting brass flung in front of your face and powder residue in the face. I certainly would not recommend learning to shoot right-handed.

You could get a Stag left handed upper, ambi safety, and a Stag left handed Bolt Carrier Group.

Jackson923

Hell Yeah!
    Jan 25, 2008
    Harford Co
    I'm a handed shooter, both of my AR's are right handed. The only thing I changed was the safe/fire selector. I bought a ambi selector switch. I haven't had any problems with brass hitting me. I tried a left handed Stag and it felt completely wierd after using my right handed AR's. Is he left eye dominant? If he is he may not be able to adjust to shooting as a right hander.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i shoot rifles left handed (pistols right handed but i am definitely not ambidextrous). I have a couple of right handed ARs and no problems at all shooting them left handed. But, i wouldn't be comfortable without having the brass deflector. never had brass nor gas blow anywhere near my face.

Hyper-W

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2010
    Cooksville
    The brass flies clear of my face but certainly by my face. The gas generally does not hit me but lots of powder residue.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    HP I' m one of those left handed shooters.
    I've never owned or shot a spec LH rifle. Allways shot RH guns.
    Shooting my AR. Plus being new to the AR platform. See no reason why they would even notice any difference between RH or LH rifles.
    Being new the charging handle won't seems backwards or RH.
    The shells when ejecting are a non issue.
    The safety "unless" you were already familar and trained. Won't be noticed as RH either.
    Just a lefty's perspective for someone not familar to the workings,function,location of controls of the AR.:)

Proto

Feb 24, 2011
    Salisbury
    I'm a left handed shooter and recently shot my friends AR this weekend without any problems. My shotguns are also meant for RH. Being a lefty you learn to adapt to the right handed world.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    to me, the operation of an AR isn't as sensitive to shooting it RH or LH as it would be for a bolt action rifle. so i'd rather select from a large population of righty ARs than a small population of lefty ARs (is stag the only one).

for bolt guns however, thankfully there is a good supply of lefty rifles and my hunting rifles are all lefty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom