• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Hell, let's add another die to the mix. I use the Lee universal decapping die to pop all my primers out instead of the resizer, keeps the resizer clean then I tumble.

I only use that for military cases with swaged primers.

I tumble my brass with the primer in place. I have not seen anyone who has demonstrated a huge benefit from clean primer pockets.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I shoot a 7mm TCU Contender. The chamber is very tight. I have run rounds through that caliber's sizing die after getting some difficult to chamber rounds. Not full length but enough to feel it.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    I only use that for military cases with swaged primers.

I tumble my brass with the primer in place. I have not seen anyone who has demonstrated a huge benefit from clean primer pockets.

I am forced to agree with this. I tumble before de-priming, pocket cleaning seems like an unneeded extra step to me.

Of course, I'm not a benchrest shooter, so.....:innocent0

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek

I am forced to agree with this. I tumble before de-priming, pocket cleaning seems like an unneeded extra step to me.

Of course, I'm not a benchrest shooter, so.....:innocent0

I agree with the notion of tumbling cases with the spent primers still in place. On the other hand, I dislike running dirty cases through my dies. So most of my brass is tumbled twice: Once to get the powder residue and range crud off and a second time after sizing and decapping to polish and remove any case lube I may have applied.

A potential issue with tumbling decapped cases is tumbler media can clog the flash hole. Not a big deal to clear if resizing and decapping after all tumbling is done. But something to be aware of when tumbling decapped cases.

My reloaded ammo is only intended for my guns. Almost all is as accurate as the gun will deliver for plinking ammo. Part of the reloading addiction is discovering what particular load a certain gun and shooter really like together.

With that said, I've never seen evidence indicating clean primer pockets make much difference in accuracy. But it's made me feel better for over 20 years to scrape the primer pockets with a Lee primer pocket tool before priming. Sure, it's an extra step, but it takes little time. And you'd me amazed how much black crud can come out of thousands of case primer pockets over the years.

;)

Attachments

• Lee Primer Pocket Cleaner.JPG
      Lee Primer Pocket Cleaner.JPG
      24 KB · Views: 85

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    No argument here on tumbling with spent primers in place...I just like clean. I tumble with the steel pins so no worries about media getting trapped in flash holes.

Soundman1

Aug 11, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    Steel pins do a good job cleaning the inside of the case and primer pocket.

I concede ... I was mistaken about roll crimp on .45ACP. :innocent0

I use FCD on plated and jacketed, but not cast bullets.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Yea, it's "shiny". Some are just anal about shiny brass. I have not ever
    used a tumbler. My used brass is clean. :)

Yeah, that was just a joke. For me, the dust of the lizard bedding / crushed walnut was as much a pain as the pins and water thing. My steel media never wears out, cleans the primer pockets, cleans the case interior well. I do big batches (15 lbs total, or 2.5 lbs of brass ) in my Thumlers Model B to save time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom