Learning Reloading: HOW To, What to, and What not to ...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    First, I want to thank Daemon Assassin for his various informational posts on reloading., 2nd, thanks to trickg, 4g64loser and others who have taken time to pow wow with me about reloading.

I began my venture in reloading maybe 10+ years ago before a friend of mine passed away. He was showing me the ropes on setting up and running a few batches of .270 in my new Hornady Lock N Load single stage press. Once we got some good rounds loaded, we test fired them in my 1950's Model 70 .270. Using his Chrony, we could verify the data in the reloading manual for the powder we used.

Over the years since I got my reloader, I have only loaded that one time. BUT, I began to acquire components and now have joined the general population who has SOME inventory, but not enough or all that is needed to make a go of it. Without acquiring some missing items such as primers in the right spec and quantity, it is hard to make headway on stocking up on fully loaded rounds.

SO, this brings me to why I am writing this thread.

1. How long is the shelf life on Powder?
    2. How should powder and primers be stored
    3. How to verify if powder is still good
    4. What to do with powder that has gone bad or is suspect/ of unknown make/model etc.
    5. Legal amount of Powder
    6. Get as many and the best manuals
    7. Keep detailed ledger records of loads
    8. Concentrate, no distraction, remember the dangers.
    9. Chronograph loads to confirm data to ensure safe pressures.
    10. When in doubt, stop and check specs, measurements, visual and mechanical function of the equipment, components and finished rounds.
    11. Learn and practice the ins and outs of case prep, trimming, crimping, head space checks etc.

Here is one link and videos I thought was pretty good.

Last edited:

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Nothing to add but following. I have never reloaded but have everything I need (except powder and projectiles) to reload 7mm Rem Mag. My first gun and I have a bunch (300+) of once fired brass. If I enjoy reloading, which I think I will, I'll branch into other calibers.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Welco
    Nothing to add but following. I have never reloaded but have everything I need (except powder and projectiles) to reload 7mm Rem Mag. My first gun and I have a bunch (300+) of once fired brass. If I enjoy reloading, which I think I will, I'll branch into other calibers.

Welcome, mpollan1 and thanks. Best regards in your pursuits.

I am working on getting MORE components in inventory. Mainly Primers and projectiles for calibers I shoot, and some dies for calibers I recently acquired and will acquire down the road like 9mm, 40 S&W, 223. 300 BLK etc.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Welco

Welcome, mpollan1 and thanks. Best regards in your pursuits.

I am working on getting MORE components in inventory. Mainly Primers and projectiles for calibers I shoot, and some dies for calibers I recently acquired and will acquire down the road like 9mm, 40 S&W, 223. 300 BLK etc.
    Thanks Chili, Dad bought me the Big 7 for my 16th birthday more than 4 decades ago. I have since acquired firearms in 5 or 6 other calibers and have been scooping up brass as I shoot it or otherwise acquire it. One day I will sit down, hopefully with the tutelage of someone knowledgeable, and start assembling my own.

SO, this brings me to why I am writing this thread.

1. How long is the shelf life on Powder? Well over 50yrs if properly stored.
    2. How should powder and primers be stored? Consistent temperature and reasonably low humidity. (Not in your shed)
    3. How to verify if powder is still good? Odd smell and clumping are not good.
    4. What to do with powder that has gone bad or is suspect/ of unknown make/model etc. Fertilizer or spread across your lawn on a rainy day.
    5. Legal amount of Powder? In MD, 5lbs per dwelling without fire marshal approval.
    Responses in red above.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I'd just add to squaregrouper's excellent response.
    "3. How to verify if powder is still good? Odd smell and clumping are not good. "Rusty dust" is a bad sign it powder breaking down. Acetone or sour smell are a warning.

Defense Initiative

Aug 2, 2023
    Maryland
    1. Depends on how it is stored.
    2. Store in a cool dry place.
    3. It should be fine if stored probably.
    4. Use it before it goes bad.
    5. I'm sure there are restrictions based on your location, I would check with local government.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I can recall only one time when my Dad opened an old can of powder (I think he got it at a garage sale) and it had gone bad - it had started to change color and smelled bad.

I recently acquired a can of a powder type that was discontinued in 1991, so it's at least that old. It looks and smells fine, and I plan on using it when I have a need for it.

I look at and smell powder every time before I use it and have yet to have any go bad on me.

I have a can of Hercules Herco that I bought as "New, Old Stock" that dates to 1993. According to some Google-fu, Hercules was bought by Alliant in 1994 and packaging changed in 1995. In any case, it's almost 30 years old and is perfectly fine to use.

I can recall only one time when my Dad opened an old can of powder (I think he got it at a garage sale) and it had gone bad - it had started to change color and smelled bad.

I recently acquired a can of a powder type that was discontinued in 1991, so it's at least that old. It looks and smells fine, and I plan on using it when I have a need for it.

I look at and smell powder every time before I use it and have yet to have any go bad on me.

I have a can of Hercules Herco that I bought as "New, Old Stock" that dates to 1993. According to some Google-fu, Hercules was bought by Alliant in 1994 and packaging changed in 1995. In any case, it's almost 30 years old and is perfectly fine to use.
    I have cans that are 1970's-1980's vintage that all went bang in 2023. I will post can pictures tomorrow.
    Smell it. If you get a strong ammonia crossed with drunk, stale urine, toss it. Bad smokeless powder smells offensive. One doesn't have to be an experienced reloader to recognize it.

Last edited:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    First, I want to thank Daemon Assassin for his various informational posts on reloading., 2nd, thanks to trickg, 4g64loser and others who have taken time to pow wow with me about reloading.

I'm happy I was able to help and had the downtime all those years ago to be able to get those posts together for the community. But I must say it was a team effort because without the community wanting/needing the information, the threads probably wouldn't have been created. I did it to give back to MDS and also to help the shooting community as a whole.

All of those who helped you are good guys and will give you good advice. Believe me, I've learned a lot from them on here.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I'm happy I was able to help and had the downtime all those years ago to be able to get those posts together for the community. But I must say it was a team effort because without the community wanting/needing the information, the threads probably wouldn't have been created. I did it to give back to MDS and also to help the shooting community as a whole.

All of those who helped you are good guys and will give you good advice. Believe me, I've learned a lot from them on here.
    Glad my message and thread reached you, Daemon.

I have learned so much on our forum and like u said, it is often a team effort. As I already knew you from our AR experience, and then read the extensive breakdowns for those interested in reloading, I couldn't help but know the amount of time invested, plus the real life, low down way you present things.

While the procedures and tools for reloading are fairly simple that even someone with limited mental skills can do it, safety and proper caution is the most important factor than if any person reloading can make even 1 round that will fire properly and as it should according to reload data and specs.

We obviously want 0, Alec Baldwin scenarios from anyone who reloads. I think that if all cautions and steps are followed, that you present in your threads and the info that other experienced reloaders add, we novices and even more experienced reloaders should be able to learn and be safe making our own.

Thank you again, Daemon, Squaregrouper, trickg etc.
    Responses in red above.
    Great to see it in Red,,,,,,,,,,,,, and for others to see. I remember when I began to think about reloading, I had 0 idea that there was such important factors to consider about things like components such as HOW much Powder is legal to own/ store/ stockpile etc. Eventually I learned elsewhere about the limits as Squaregrouper added here. I can see the logic behind quantity limits, but also the logic on how best to store the 5 lbs to be safe and to keep it as dry, stable etc as possible.

trickg, I was reading recently how some ammo available commercially is and was loaded with powder that dates back to use in ammo for M1 Carbines.
    I have cans that are 1970's-1980's vintage that all went bang in 2023. I will post can pictures tomorrow.
    Smell it. If you get a strong ammonia crossed with drunk, stale urine, toss it. Bad smokeless powder smells offensive. One doesn't have to be an experienced reloader to recognize it.
    Yup, also one really big area that should be heeded as the juice is not worth the squeeze. If there is powder found in containers with rust, best to discard as per the lawn sprinkle process. Also, powders kept in or found in containers that are not the original should be not trusted. To me, a few $$$ saved to use unknown powder is not a safe decision.

Last edited:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Glad my message and thread reached you, Daemon.

I have learned so much on our forum and like u said, it is often a team effort. As I already knew you from our AR experience, and then read the extensive breakdowns for those interested in reloading, I couldn't help but know the amount of time invested, plus the real life, low down way you present things.

I was doing a random browsing of various things after playing some PS5 with the boys when I decided to check the reloading section.

How is the AR these days?

Yup, also one really big area that should be heeded as the juice is not worth the squeeze. If there is powder found in containers with rust, best to discard as per the lawn sprinkle process. Also, powders kept in or found in containers that are not the original should be not trusted. To me, a few $$$ saved to use unknown powder is not a safe decision.
    This is precisely why most of us refuse to purchase unsealed containers.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Responses in red above.
    Oh my. (#5 cough, cough).

@chilipeppermaniac I have also recently joined the reloaders. Squaregrouper is right on in his responses. My reloading bench is in the garage and subject to all sorts of temperature and humidity swings. I store all of my powders and primers in the house. I purchased a 40mm grenade ammo can to store everything in. It has a watertight seal. Toss in a few desiccant packs for good measure. You can often find them locally on Facebook marketplace for reasonable prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom