• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I have read they are great for reloading. I think I read you don't even really need antimony if you are just shooting something like .45 Long Colt at low speeds (below 900 ft/s I think) and you can get away with quick cool hardenning or something.

Adams74Chevy

Hits broadsides of barns
    Oct 3, 2007
    Carroll Co.
    Should be good to make blackpowder bullets with. My dad has 30 pounds or so of lead sheets from a construction job he was on years ago. We have 2 large peanut butter jars full of "maxi-hunters" and a large jar full of .44 or .45 for his BP Navy revolver, plus sinkers :D (we'll be in the news soon for lead poisoning :sad20: :lol2: )

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    (Lead alloy) wheel weights typically run about 95.5% lead, 4% antimony and about 0.5% tin, but will vary, since there is no "standard".

Hardness varies with the exact alloy ratio, but will typically run about 10 on the Brinell Hardness Scale ("BHN"). Pure lead is about 5 on the same scale.

These are great for casting material and well worth scarfing up by anyone who is interested in casting rifle/pistol bullets. They cast well and are not bad for low pressure cast bullet loads "as is" , like the .45 Colt mentioned above.

If one wants to load them for rifle bullets or high pressure handgun rounds, one should/can add enough tin to bring it up to par with the Lyman alloy, which runs about 15 BHN and even a touch harder might be better for rifles.

As they are, they will cast much too hard for direct loading muzzleloaders, which typically specify pure lead (5 BHN). I made that mistake myself and wound up with a few hundred beautifully cast maxi-balls that would only load with LOTS of effort, and even at that, I probably shouldn't have used them. You could cut them with pure lead to reduce the Sn/Sb/Pb ratio and make use of them, but, by the time they're cut far enough to soften them appreciably, you've added a lot of lead.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Can you recycle them?? 25 gallons of lead ought to weigh a fair amount. I handle a lot of scrap copper. Turning it in to cash is where my fun money comes from.

I work as security for a certain power company... guess what the main target for thieves is? The storage/scrap yards....

bowtiebandit

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbia
    Just finished soring through what was left 3..5 gallon containers weighing 150 lbs a piece.
    nicholst55 has first crack at them for his post in the classifieds.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    bowtiebandit,

I work in Columbia (175 and I-95) and would be interested in any extra that is not spoken for.

-Boxcab

DorGunR

R.I.P.
    Mar 7, 2007
    Severn
    I have a friend on another forum that is a SASS member, he melts them down to cast his own bullets for his 45 long colt revolvers and his .45-70 rifle. He down loads his rounds for the SASS matches.

bowtiebandit

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbia
    Bringing this back up..before I got sick I started this and still have about 300 lbs or so I think. About 100 lbs are like the pic...each muffin is about 2.5 lbs..the rest are in 8.5 by 11 sheets ranging from 10 to 35 lbs and I can melt them into muffins if necessary. Both have been melted twice to get as much pureness as I could.

1.00 a pound plus shipping..I can ship 60 lbs through USPS for 9 bucks I believe..shipped off 120 to Washington for less than 20.00..

Attachments

• Ebay08 117.jpg
      Ebay08 117.jpg
      137.7 KB · Views: 305

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads