• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcleftnut

May 14, 2015
    Salisbury
    So the only place on the gun that has to be marked HBAR I'd the barrel? So you can buy a "normal" lower and upper and put a HBAR barrell on it and it be legal?

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    3 posts here. *tin foil*
    Could be an anti that's fishing

The bolded part. Yup.

Not a jab at you personally at all. I just really think that there is a HUGE fear here and a way overdeveloped sense of "be careful what we talk about because every new person is an anti troll who's fishing for ammo to use against us!" Are there sometimes people who come here to stir trouble? Sure. Is every new person who asks a question some kind of evil plant? Absolutely not. But sheesh, people here have become so convinced that every newbie with a question is somehow out to get us.

This leads to a couple of things:

1) we are needlessly hostile and antagonistic to new people. Folks, this is a gun forum. If I have a question about plumbing in my house, which is something I don't know a ton about, I go ask a home improvement forum. If I have a question about which hammock to buy to go camping with, I go ask a camping forum. If I were a person unfamiliar with guns and I had a question, guess where I would go? Right! A gun forum!

Every time someone new comes here and asks a question and gets a hostile response (weather it be "here we go again," or "Search, you idiot!" or "Nobody answer this guy - he's a plant!") we damage our community and the chances of adding new people. The person asking the question, if they're maybe on the fence about guns and "gun people" has now just had their suspicions confirmed that, like the media says, "gun people" are hostile jerks who are clinging to their guns and just looking for a chance to shoot someone. They also haven't had their actual question answered.

2) we are fooling ourselves in to thinking that we can somehow "hide" this stuff from someone. None of this is rocket science, and all of this information is plastered all over the internet - from Maryland Code itself, to the MSP site, to forums, to everywhere. Those who are against us have this information available to them, and even if they didn't, it's not like we have something to hide anyways. Security through obscurity is no security at all.

So please, everybody, let's make an effort to be as welcoming and accommodating to the new folks who ask questions as we possibly can be. There is zero downside to doing this, and many upsides. It behooves us to be as kind to people as we can, to add as many people to our community as we can, and to help as many people follow the law properly as we can.

Every time someone comes here and asks a "newbie" type question, we have the chance to either a) alienate someone and confirm negative stereotypes, or b) welcome someone, answer their questions, and add a new person to our community. I know which one I'd rather be doing.

Sorry again if this came off as a personal attack or anything - it's totally not. It's just something that's been on my mind a lot lately that I wanted to put out there.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Looks like this guy is telling Obama all about AR's, heavy barrels and what-not:

Cl_kLtMWAAAy7ru.jpg

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    So the only place on the gun that has to be marked HBAR I'd the barrel? So you can buy a "normal" lower and upper and put a HBAR barrell on it and it be legal?

To be MD legal:
    Either the barrel is marked HBAR or the MANUFACTURER advertises it as HBAR.

Yes you can take a Colt 6920 (gov't profile barrel) and change the barrel for an HBAR and be MD legal.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The bolded part. Yup.

Not a jab at you personally at all. I just really think that there is a HUGE fear here and a way overdeveloped sense of "be careful what we talk about because every new person is an anti troll who's fishing for ammo to use against us!" Are there sometimes people who come here to stir trouble? Sure. Is every new person who asks a question some kind of evil plant? Absolutely not. But sheesh, people here have become so convinced that every newbie with a question is somehow out to get us.

This leads to a couple of things:

1) we are needlessly hostile and antagonistic to new people. Folks, this is a gun forum. If I have a question about plumbing in my house, which is something I don't know a ton about, I go ask a home improvement forum. If I have a question about which hammock to buy to go camping with, I go ask a camping forum. If I were a person unfamiliar with guns and I had a question, guess where I would go? Right! A gun forum!

Every time someone new comes here and asks a question and gets a hostile response (weather it be "here we go again," or "Search, you idiot!" or "Nobody answer this guy - he's a plant!") we damage our community and the chances of adding new people. The person asking the question, if they're maybe on the fence about guns and "gun people" has now just had their suspicions confirmed that, like the media says, "gun people" are hostile jerks who are clinging to their guns and just looking for a chance to shoot someone. They also haven't had their actual question answered.

2) we are fooling ourselves in to thinking that we can somehow "hide" this stuff from someone. None of this is rocket science, and all of this information is plastered all over the internet - from Maryland Code itself, to the MSP site, to forums, to everywhere. Those who are against us have this information available to them, and even if they didn't, it's not like we have something to hide anyways. Security through obscurity is no security at all.

So please, everybody, let's make an effort to be as welcoming and accommodating to the new folks who ask questions as we possibly can be. There is zero downside to doing this, and many upsides. It behooves us to be as kind to people as we can, to add as many people to our community as we can, and to help as many people follow the law properly as we can.

Every time someone comes here and asks a "newbie" type question, we have the chance to either a) alienate someone and confirm negative stereotypes, or b) welcome someone, answer their questions, and add a new person to our community. I know which one I'd rather be doing.

Sorry again if this came off as a personal attack or anything - it's totally not. It's just something that's been on my mind a lot lately that I wanted to put out there.

Thank you. You put my thoughts into words, but so did Bob Dylan ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AylFqdxRMwE

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom